Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
Neil's BlackZL1

Drives: Black 2012 Camaro ZL1 #740
Noisy Aactuators on Exhaust Flaps

Anyone else notice noises coming from the actuators on the exhaust?

I have had it in 4 times for the same thing and they replaced the exhaust from the cads all the way back, and it still makes the same noise.

You can hear a mechanical sound when you lightly give it gas and let off. Kind of a buzzing sound like the flaps are opening and closing.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
BAD ZL1
BAD ZL1

Drives: 2013 VIN 48 Victory Red ZL1!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil's BlackZL1 View Post

I have had it in 4 times for the same thing and they replaced the exhaust from the cads all the way back, and it still makes the same noise.

You can hear a mechanical sound when you lightly give it gas and let off. Kind of a buzzing sound like the flaps are opening and closing.
Yes, I hear like a very short duration rattle when I speed up past 1100 RMP or so. i assume its the valves closing. Not a big deal to me.
BAD ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
Neil's BlackZL1

It happens at slow speed or at idol when you slighty rev the motor
Old 08-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
Al C.

Drives: ZL1 #529 "El-Jefe"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil's BlackZL1 View Post

I have an open RO with GM for the same problem.. Not enough vacuum to close them at low RMP's. GM engineer as tried to fix but they havent been able to. They have tried bigger vacuum boxes, it helps but doesnt close them completely. Car has been in the shop for 3 weeks now. Do you have an automatic? GM said it only happens with auto's. Last I heard they were going to order a new complete exhaust system from a 6speed manual to see if that would fix it, from the manifold to exhaust tips.
Al C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C. View Post
I have an open RO with GM for the same problem.. Not enough vacuum to close them at low RMP's. GM engineer as tried to fix but they havent been able to. They have tried bigger vacuum boxes, it helps but doesnt close them completely. Car has been in the shop for 3 weeks now. Do you have an automatic? GM said it only happens with auto's. Last I heard they were going to order a new complete exhaust system from a 6speed manual to see if that would fix it, from the manifold to exhaust tips.
Mines a 6 speed manual and does it too.
gblaue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
Al C.

Drives: ZL1 #529 "El-Jefe"
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblaue View Post
Mines a 6 speed manual and does it too.
Well then idk.. Maybe others don't notice it, don't care, or doesn't happen at all...I found it very annoying, especially coming from a $60k car.. My car was delivered in late April, I've only put 1k miles on it cause the noise bothered me so much. Other than a drive to the dealership, it stays parked the the garage until it gets fixed.. So sad...
Al C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #7
Zee-Ell-One
YOOZ GOTA B FREKN KIDN ME

Drives: 2013 6mt ZL1#826
Quote:
Well then idk.. Maybe others don't notice it, don't care, or doesn't happen at all...I found it very annoying, especially coming from a $60k car.. My car was delivered in late April, I've only put 1k miles on it cause the noise bothered me so much. Other than a drive to the dealership, it stays parked the the garage until it gets fixed.. So sad...
Pull the fuse...Its behind the trunk wall carpet on the right inside the trunk. Theres one black button retainer to pull so you can peel back and expose the fuse box...You will be glad you did especially during breakin. Its really not that much louder between 1000 and 3000rpm's when cruising....sounds way way better.. Before I pulled it I found myself trying to rev past 3000 but not past 4000 just to hear it roar... now I don't have to. I'm convinced it has better pick up now too at the normally closeed RPM range..Win win.. My car is having other issues with leaking coolant and a metal on metal noise eminating from the rear end on decelleration that I will post about later...
2015 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 6.2 L86 Crew Cab
2012 Aprilia RSV4 R
2015 Husqvarna FC450 Motomadness
First Car: 1973 Dodge Charger 340 Magnum 4MT Factory Hurst Pistol Grip Shifter
Zee-Ell-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #8
jbotta

Drives: Camaro ZL1

listen close, you can here the flaps open and close, hope thats ok, cant here any buzzing, neil can you here it from video, let us know what happens
jbotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #9
ZoomZoom
R6P Owner

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Do you hear it inside the car? I've had the flapping noise since day one at about 35 to 40 mph. Have a auto, Thought it was one of the many stickers under the car, but pulled them off and it still there.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:21 PM   #10
RoketRdr

Drives: 2010 Duramax; 2012 CTS-V Coupe
What you're hearing is the flappers vibrating in the exhaust tips. The Vette's do it as well. A light spring can cure this issue.
RoketRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:59 PM   #11
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
I've never noticed any sound, and to not drive your car because of a noise ?
Old 08-22-2012, 07:09 AM   #12
ZL1 TIBS

Drives: 1968 Camaro, 2012 ZL1
My first mod was pulling the vacuum line and plugging it. I don't hear any weird noises now. Just a killer exhaust note.
ZL1 TIBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #13
Neil's BlackZL1

Quote:

It is an Auto...I was told I will hear something today. I will post what they say
Old 08-23-2012, 10:51 AM   #14
Neil's BlackZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbotta View Post

listen close, you can here the flaps open and close, hope thats ok, cant here any buzzing, neil can you here it from video, let us know what happens

I don't hear it in the video, all i hear is the sweet sound of power!!!