Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 03-22-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Psychological Diagnosis

I have always had some frustrations with professionals in the field of psychology. Perhaps I am simply paranoid from watching such movies as Changeling, but I feel that the role of a psychiatrist in society is overplayed. Some people genuinely need help sorting out their problems, but there simply is no diagnosis for being mentally healthy as there is in other aspects of medicine. Even if a biologically healthy individual were to walk into a psychiatrist's office, the conclusion would be one of illness.

If the healthy person were content, then something was being concealed. More visits would be required.

If the healthy person were angry or defensive for being probed, then the person has a problem with authority, aggression, or violence. Let's ignore that it is socially abnormal for a perfect stranger to seek a deep, one-sided monologue regarding one's past.

If the healthy person were clean-cut, then that person was trying to overcompensate for the past.

If the healthy person were quite the opposite, then that same person has issues confronting problems from the past.

If the healthy person has sexuality issues, then that person is, depending on the psychological professional, a damned soul needing salvation or facing some sort of identity crisis.

If the healthy person saves money, then that person has trouble enjoying himself or herself.

If the healthy person spends money, then that person has trouble with being a responsible member of society.

If the healthy person's grades are low, then it must be ADD or something else that drugs can fix.

If the healthy person just wants to go home to a familiar place with family or friends, then that person is too afraid to take chances or tackle deep issues.

The list could go on forever, but listing forever would cause you to either stop reading my rambling, if you haven't already, or would cause your head to explode, and I don't want someone to have to clean up the mess you'll leave. I was just thinking about this as I watched the TV earlier. There are so many shows where a diagnosis makes the case, and those cases are extreme, thus making very good television entertainment. The truth is that most of us who get counseling or try to listen to such quacks as Dr. Phil really need to evaluate why we have no confidence in our own judgement. Usually, even a poorly guided child can become a decent adult by simply knowing that some things are basically right and others are basically wrong. The intricate complexities of social interaction cannot be adequately resolved by talking about how someone's father did not express their love enough or how someone else's mother was an alcoholic. Some people need a professional to talk about their history of sexual abuse or why they get angry every time they see a Duke-North Carolina game (the answer: both teams should lose), but the rest of us tend to be functional adults.

What do I know? I'm no professional in the field, but I have known that most people who go to counseling are more frustrated when they leave the office than before entering for the first time.

I guess my diagnosis for people that believe in contemporary psychology as it exists today is that you are crazy. Perhaps those of you who stayed long enough to read this nonsense are also crazy for doing just that.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:37 PM   #2
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Well there are many different sides to psychology. Not all psychiatrists will give a diagnosis automatically. But you have to remember that the psychiatrist is not always giving a diagnosis but rather just trying to evaluate the individual's personality in order to know how to better deal with them.

However, I do agree that our society has an obsession with trying to find something wrong with themselves. Your right a problemed child can grow up to be a decent person as long as they know what's wrong or right. But who is going to tell them this if they had a problemed childhood? That's where the role of a psychiatrist comes in. They are suppose to help individuals fit into society. Sometimes all a person needs to better fit into society is someone else to hear them out.

I also think some people are crazy for believing in most stuff that psychiatrist say. But we do need psychology to help better understand ourselves. There's alot more going on in our brain than most people would like to know. Any slight change in the brain can cause a person to completely change. Whether we like it or not a psychiatrist's help is sometimes needed to help diagnose changes in the brain that would cause people to have irrational behavior.

It's all just part of the evolutionary process in my opinion.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:09 AM   #3
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I could probably have fun with a psychologist. Essentially informing them of what I think of the session and their profession, and go from there.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:29 AM   #4
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Use the Lord. Turn to him first and foremost.

After that I don't know. I've never considered it to be credible science or medicine. I know stress can be a powerful thing that can even cause physical pain. But I don't even consider using phsycology as an option.

However, I don't ultimately deny the possibility of success because I am ignorant to much of the case study. Not to mention I'm not mentaly I'll nor do I know anyone who is.

If I had to guess I'd say it is largely BS though.

Good write up Blur, what prompted it?
Old 03-23-2009, 01:59 AM   #5
a6pk2go

Drives: ...
Dr Phil rocks........I guess.......he has my wife watching him and Opah.......and now that she is laided off all of my sporting events have been cancelled and now we get to see Ellen and the View also........it's great I guess.
a6pk2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:38 AM   #6
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by a6pk2go View Post
Dr Phil rocks........I guess.......he has my wife watching him and Opah.......and now that she is laided off all of my sporting events have been cancelled and now we get to see Ellen and the View also........it's great I guess.
All I know is...she deletes one more Top Gear tivo to watch her reality/dancing stars/oprah crap, someone is getting F'd UP! lol

No blur... I don't have an ANGER PROBLEM!!!!!
Old 03-23-2009, 10:38 AM   #7
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by irpq11 View Post
Use the Lord. Turn to him first and foremost.

After that I don't know. I've never considered it to be credible science or medicine. I know stress can be a powerful thing that can even cause physical pain. But I don't even consider using phsycology as an option.

However, I don't ultimately deny the possibility of success because I am ignorant to much of the case study. Not to mention I'm not mentaly I'll nor do I know anyone who is.

If I had to guess I'd say it is largely BS though.

Good write up Blur, what prompted it?
Ultimately, I was provoked by long-standing concerns about the field, completely unrealistic movies where people get thrown in wards without legitimate proof of their psychosis, and a class I took in college. Ultimately, the assumption that all people need some sort of resolution in their lives with the few serious problems that they may have seems almost altruistic when considering that the psychologist also must have problems. If I am flawed for being human, then so must the person diagnosing my flaws, thereby implying that there is possible flaw in the diagnosis. If the diagnosis is as flawed as the person giving it, then we have to consider that another person may suffer unnecessary treatment and social consequences for being treated and diagnosed for a problem that is not real. People with real mental disorders that need the help oftentimes do function in various roles of society, and those people could be anyone—bums, accountants, bus drivers, that asshole in the Mustang next to you, your dealer. Imagine going to a psychologist whose own mental disorders must be kept carefully from clients. Imagine being diagnosed by a bitter victim of wrongful imprisonment in a psych ward. Rather than resolving problems, the doctor would use this position to pass judgement on those who deserve or do not deserve the same punishment for crimes unrelated to mental status.

All I'm saying is that we do a poor job of deciding how society should work. We could all safely be diagnoses with some sort of post-traumatic stress or some other common problem, but would we be better off thinking we're normal than being patients? I think that doctors forget that there are side effects to more than medication, and merely diagnosing someone with a label can be as damaging as a serious condition that goes untreated.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:12 AM   #8
Mac1

Drives: 2004 Malibu
The key is parameters. Do you fall within the accepted parameters of psycho/social behavior or not? Throughout ones' life we may all become subject to what may be termed "abberant", "contrary" or "anti-social" behavior, usually on a temporary basis and commonly from an "outside source". Therein lies the problem of recognition and resolution.
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #9
dbotsfordtat

Drives: 2016 Camaro
I think your painting rather broadly. Mental Illness is difficult to diagnose because there is no bleeding, protruding bone or other obvious wound. Many people think Mental Illness isn't real or those that have some form of it are weak or faking. Given that criteria we can all assume electricity isn't real, unless someone here has actually seen an electron? People suffer brain injuries, they may be borne with abnormalities, or they may contract some other type of disease or traumatic injury. I'm sure there are many misdiagnoses made but that is to be expected when dealing with the human brain. The problem with what your writing is that it may deter someone that actually needs help from seeking it and I would be cautious.
dbotsfordtat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 02:38 PM   #10
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbotsfordtat View Post
I think your painting rather broadly. Mental Illness is difficult to diagnose because there is no bleeding, protruding bone or other obvious wound. Many people think Mental Illness isn't real or those that have some form of it are weak or faking. Given that criteria we can all assume electricity isn't real, unless someone here has actually seen an electron? People suffer brain injuries, they may be borne with abnormalities, or they may contract some other type of disease or traumatic injury. I'm sure there are many misdiagnoses made but that is to be expected when dealing with the human brain. The problem with what your writing is that it may deter someone that actually needs help from seeking it and I would be cautious.
exactly.
and a "mental illness" isn't an illness untill it actually starts to interfere in somones life. However, most psychiatrist always seem to find something wrong with people simply for the need of money. That's the real problem. A psychiatrist gives a fake or unreal diagnosis simply to make the person come back for another session and get paid again.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:41 PM   #11
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
This looks like it's going to be a very interesting topic. Subscribed so I can read it when I get to work.

Edit: Post 4100!!!
Old 03-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #12
dbotsfordtat

Drives: 2016 Camaro
Yea, I don't doubt that happens and pharmaceutical companies probably encourage it. But if someone on this forum really does need help they may not seek it because of the negative comments made here. I'm just suggesting caution.
dbotsfordtat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:28 PM   #13
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
I have Greg Norris syndrome. it causes me to falcon punch random people when they perform idotic acts.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:30 PM   #14
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
I have Greg Norris syndrome. it causes me to falcon punch random people when they perform idotic acts.
I've heard of people being idiotic but never idotic.

Tags
psychology