Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-15-2008, 10:21 AM   #1
CoolestCamaro873
The Road's A Bad Joke...

Drives: '12 Camaro SS
The Reason You Can't Mix Options!

I've come to the conclusion of why you can't mix options, and my dealer agreed. People on this board have been asking why can't you order a RS Package and get Polished wheels on a SS, and others want to know why you can't get the RS Package on a V6 and not get the 20 inch wheels that come with it?

The reason, I believe, is because if you were to mix wheels with the package than the car would not be a true RS anymore. You have to remember the Camaro has alwyas been a collectible car. In the 60's and 70's a Z28 Camaro only came with specific wheels if you ordered that package and couldn't be changed. If you change the wheels you compromise the collectible value of the car. So, the factory will not allow you to switch wheels and options throguh them, which is why you can do it afterwards through the dealer and their accessories, or aftermarket!

As stupid as this may sound it really is a factor for those who plan to keep these cars as collectibles and 35-45 years from now when you see them at Barret Jackson auto show, and people are looking for these cars with the original RS Package and they see the wheels are not from the package it will not be considered an original and true Camaro RS or Camaro SS/RS. At least that is what I think!
Old 10-15-2008, 10:23 AM   #2
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Drives: 1985 z28
mine was going to be a keeper anyway. good insight

"Shut your noise tube, Taco Human!"
lalometalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
Silverghost

Drives: Z28
it is also easier on the auto maker to build if they don't have to worry about building each car with two things different on each one that comes down the line.

www.rivercityperformance.com
Silverghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
If GM was to make the polished wheels available in the RS package then it's original equipment and would not affect future value at all. As long as the vehicle retains it's original equipment, as listed on the original sticker, whether it's factory or dealer added, is what makes a car a valuable collectable in stock class. If GM doesn't offer the polished wheels in a package and you add them aftermarket, then you would take away from the value as a collectable. If you make mods but keep the original equipment to restore it to original later, then problem solved, right? Correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:03 PM   #5
playhard67
come to poppa

Drives: 67RS,09 Harley FLHX
Cheryl said in the Podcast that she plans to bring up the issue of the polished wheels available for the RS and the Blue SS to the powers that be at GM. Hopefully, they'll become available.

Cancelled the 2010 SS/RS (for now) and bought this instead (2009 Harley FLHX)
playhard67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:11 PM   #6
CoolestCamaro873
The Road's A Bad Joke...

Drives: '12 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIweldace View Post
If GM was to make the polished wheels available in the RS package then it's original equipment and would not affect future value at all. As long as the vehicle retains it's original equipment, as listed on the original sticker, whether it's factory or dealer added, is what makes a car a valuable collectable in stock class. If GM doesn't offer the polished wheels in a package and you add them aftermarket, then you would take away from the value as a collectable. If you make mods but keep the original equipment to restore it to original later, then problem solved, right? Correct me if i'm wrong.
This is correct, but as of now they aren't offered from the factory in the package. Right now the RS only comes with Special Midnight Silver wheels. So, polished would diminsh the value if added later. The same thing happened to my Dad's friend's '69 Z28, the Z28 package only came with a certain wheel that year, and he took them off and added ones that came standard. When he went to sell the car the value was diminshed because without the Z28 wheels that came in the package it was not considered a true Z28!
Old 10-15-2008, 03:17 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverghost View Post
it is also easier on the auto maker to build if they don't have to worry about building each car with two things different on each one that comes down the line.
imo, I think this is closer...

Try to come up with the total number of different Camaro combinations that can be made at the factory...I haven't, yet -- but I'd venture to guess it comes out to be 70-100. Now separate all the options into individual check-boxes, forget the "packaging of options" notion...and NOW try to come up with the total possible build combinations............hundreds upon hundreds if not a couple thousand.

It's FAR less expensive for GM (and therefore less expensive for customers like you and I) to build cars at a factory with a minimal amount of set packages than to mix-and-match every single option. To allow such a practice would add confusion, and it would add complexity. Which in turn can decrease quality, and increase cost........
Old 10-15-2008, 03:21 PM   #8
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
imo, I think this is closer...

Try to come up with the total number of different Camaro combinations that can be made at the factory...I haven't, yet -- but I'd venture to guess it comes out to be 70-100. Now separate all the options into individual check-boxes, forget the "packaging of options" notion...and NOW try to come up with the total possible build combinations............hundreds upon hundreds if not a couple thousand.

It's FAR less expensive for GM (and therefore less expensive for customers like you and I) to build cars at a factory with a minimal amount of set packages than to mix-and-match every single option. To allow such a practice would add confusion, and it would add complexity. Which in turn can decrease quality, and increase cost........
Old 10-15-2008, 04:19 PM   #9
bobscogin

Drives: 2016 Challenger R/T, 1965 Impala SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Bingo! To think that GM limits "mix and match" options because it may hurt collectibility is a nice thought but unrealistic. Their objective is to offer the majority of buyers what they want at the least possible cost, and that's how it should be.

Bob
bobscogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:04 PM   #10
Robehren

Drives: BMW M3 E92: 420 HP of v8 fury
Quote:
Originally Posted by playhard67 View Post
Cheryl said in the Podcast that she plans to bring up the issue of the polished wheels available for the RS and the Blue SS to the powers that be at GM. Hopefully, they'll become available.
Wait, what? We have a podcast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
im dead serious, if that car had a ******, id leave my gf.

proud founder of the BMW M3 owners group

Last edited by Robehren; 10-16-2008 at 08:39 AM.
Robehren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:14 PM   #11
Lucas718

Drives: Jeep Wrangler
At least they're not as bad as Nissan. I was interested in the Altima coupe, so I went to their website and built one. Just to add foglights, you need to add about $3000 in additional packages.
Lucas718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:18 PM   #12
2KZ28_For_Now
SS Shotgun Ride?!??! :-)

Drives: 2000 Z28
[QUOTE=Robehren;160039]
Quote:
Originally Posted by playhard67 View Post
Cheryl said in the Podcast that she plans to bring up the issue of the polished wheels available for the RS and the Blue SS to the powers that be at GM. Hopefully, they'll become available.[/QUOTED]

Wait, what? We have a podcast?
That's on a different site. I dont know the rules for mentioning other sites, but lets just say that a lot of people around here also want a "Camaro Z28" model offered.

Get it? Good.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:59 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robehren View Post

That's on a different site. I dont know the rules for mentioning other sites, but lets just say that a lot of people around here also want a "Camaro Z28" model offered.

Get it? Good.
No rules at all. Just don't spam sites, and we're happy.

Camaroz28.com had an exclusive podcast with Cheryl Pilcher and John Fitzpatrick on Monday, where they released the official pricing you see all over the place. Towards the end, Cheryl and John agreed to a small Q&A session, where she said, among other things, that she was trying to get blue offered on the SS.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:11 PM   #14
Speed74SS

Drives: 2010 LPE 650+ CTS-V
"Originally Posted by yotaman96
From 5thgen.org.

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
We did change the policy.

Originally, we felt that the darker wheel would set the RS apart from all other Camaros-- (and I still feel that way...)

HOWEVER -- we DO listen to our customer base -- and so we're going to change the policy -- you WILL be able to order an RS with a polished 20 inch wheel if you so desire -- please give us a few days to change the order tables!"

This is what I found from another thread here where Fbodfather said that they are changing the wheel option at least. He also posted in a thread on this site also but I can't find it at the moment.
Speed74SS is offline   Reply With Quote