Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 02-14-2015, 09:57 AM   #29
Homeless Man
Homeless Life Chose Me

Drives: LS3 (sold 4/21)
I don't like my sunroof. I never use it ever and the Mohawk looks a lot cooler.

Only time it is cool to use is when it's night and there are stars in the sky but that's happened maybe like once in the year and a half I've had it.
Homeless Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:50 AM   #30
sonnydurden

Drives: ‘16 1SS & ‘19 1LT
But I don't like the sun roof on the Camaro anyway. It seems too small with the amount of roof it has. Like the Audi A5/S5 and BMW 6 series have huge sunroofs that take up most of the roof
sonnydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:06 PM   #31
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfriend View Post
While the OP has the car on the shoo for the sunroof install , may as well install a floor drain
This will save time and money later on

Just like the previous poster said , here is the photo of it ,it also comes with an umbrella
Haha. Wow. Looks like the previous owner installed that themselves.

I'm going to call the place that did my aftermarket sunroofs and see how they'd handle a Camaro.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:23 PM   #32
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
I had a Webasto sunroof put in one of my cars around 2000 and drove it as a DD for 10 years with no issues. I had it installed by a Webasto outlet that installed them for car dealers. I think I think I paid around $700. If you get a high quality sunroof and an experienced installer you should be fine. If they properly tie the sunroof frame back into the car structure it will be stronger than before they cut a hole in the car. The steel structure of the sunroof frame is a lot thicker and stronger then the roof bow in the car. All that said, the base Camaro does have the Mohawk roof and it would be very tricky to put a sunroof in and have a look right and seal properly. For that reason alone I wouldn't put an aftermarket sunroof in a Camaro.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:48 PM   #33
BUNNY15

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS 6M ~~ LSA
I had a sunroof installed on my 10 SS and have had the car for 1.5yrs now with no issues. It actually works extremely well. No leaks ever and the company that installed mine made it look factory-like including the button functions. Classic Soft Trim in Irving, Tx did the install and provides lifetime warranty. Did a great job, I even popped up at the shop without an appointment to see how they were treating my car. I was totally impressed by their professionalism and the installers clean cuts and wiring. Took about 3 days.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:50 PM   #34
BUNNY15

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS 6M ~~ LSA
Forgot to mention mine does have the vent feature, but unlike the factory option, it retracts into the roof, versus on top of the roof. And yes, there is a separate piece that is used for the Camaros without the groove down the center of the roofline.
Old 02-14-2015, 07:05 PM   #35
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
As a technician in a dealership never ever have a aftermarket sunroof installed or buy a car with one, ALL are complete junk. /end thread
Old 02-14-2015, 07:28 PM   #36
Blu Ray
ALWAYS-N-BOOST

Drives: 2021 ZLE A10
Send a message via AIM to Blu Ray Send a message via Yahoo to Blu Ray
Quote:
Originally Posted by snymat68 View Post
Are there structural differences between 5th gens that have and don't have sunroofs?
Yes there is a beam that runs down the center they have to cut into.... if its not from the factory dont do it

2012 1LS M6 Black-Sold
2013 2LT M6 BluRay- Sold
2015 1SS 1LE M6 Black-Sold
2021 ZLE A10 Riverside Blue - Awaiting Arrival 01/10
Blu Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:42 PM   #37
Low Saturn

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTsccaCamaro View Post
As a technician in a dealership never ever have a aftermarket sunroof installed or buy a car with one, ALL are complete junk. /end thread
Not true. I've never ran into an issue with aftermarket or OEM sunroofs. So it can't be all. Like a lot of parts on a car, a part is only as good as it is maintained. Don't maintain something it will appear as junk. Maintain it, it will last a very, very long time. People only bring you their problems. I'm pretty sure no one is going to bring you a car for repair that doesn't have a problem. I'm also pretty sure 100% of the vehicles your dealership sells with sunroofs don't come back to you with issues.

I've had both types of sunroofs, ALL have lasted without a single issue as long as I owned the car. Keep tracks lubed, seals conditioned and drains clear and and there will be no issues. It only takes a couple minutes and I do it while the oil is draining while doing an oil change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Ray View Post
Yes there is a beam that runs down the center they have to cut into.... if its not from the factory dont do it
This debate always seems to come of on just about every automotive forum. Many years ago when I owned a Saturn the same argument came up. I had picked up and identical model as a parts car and just as the Camaro, it had a beam running down the center of the roof. We put some weight on the parts cars roof and after only a few pounds, the roof began to flex and bow down. My roof, with the aftermarket sunroof held up to 75 pounds when we stopped out of fear of breaking the glass.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:33 PM   #38
KR4545

Drives: 2012 2SS
Use part numbers:
92223620 The flatter roof skin with a hole.
and
22800143 The sunroof frame that also forms the roof reinforcement

Those are the two things you don't want to have to cut from a salvage car.
Drill out and discard the center support, cancel your onstar.
Learn to do half ass or better welds (the molding covers it anyway).
Refrain from standing on the roof or flipping the car over.
If it leaks, fix it.
I don't get it, you guys will think nothing of throwing in a supercharger over the weekend or reworking the entire look of the car but drilling out a roof skin is too much?

It isn't the hull of a nuclear submarine its just a car.
KR4545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 05:50 AM   #39
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Camaros without a sunroof have a structural support under the Mohawk.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:17 AM   #40
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
Wheres the cutout for a Camaro with a sunroof.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:20 PM   #41
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
My previous 1LT RS, I added a roof to it. Got it done by Indy Auto Spa and they did a great job! Second time I've used them as they did my 2006 Honda Element and Honda thought is was work they had done. It looked factory. The Webasto roof is what they used, the Hollandia and I never had any leaks from either vehicle. My cost was in the ball park of $800 for each car. I've since traded that Camaro for a newer one with a roof.
Also all the local dealerships with new cars that don't move they send to this aftermarket shop to add roofs, leather seats and other items to get the car on the more appealing side of selling.

Last edited by chozn4service; 02-18-2015 at 09:12 AM.
chozn4service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:51 PM   #42
LStick

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray 1LS
Didn't mind having one in my shitbag Cavalier 25 years ago.

Ain't gonna happen with my Camaro.
Attached Images

LStick is offline   Reply With Quote