Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #15
techinny

Drives: '18 Sierra Denali '05 GMC 2500HD
I would think a roll shrink wrap used in packaging would at least let you "peel" the dirt and bugs off. As far as chips it may not provide as much protection.

Had: 2010 SS/RS M6 Hurst STS, Noweeds
techinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #16
Blakk11SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
If you don't want to wait the 6 weeks turn around for the Colgan Bra, just Visit CarBras.com they stock the Colgan Custom style for Camaro's Since they usually have 'em in stock, they ship fast. If you have a Lowes or HomeDepot nearby, I have discovered that in the carpeting isle, there is a clear plastic film in rolls that costs about $10, its usually used for setting on top of carpeting, it is lightly adhesive and works surprisingly well to protect the car. I recently used it on a long trip to the East Coast to protect the lower quarters and gill area. just trim the product before you set it to the clean surface and gently smooth it with your hand as it goes on. Since it is clear it is somewhat un-noticable from a distance. after your trip, just peel it off. I had mine on for about 2 weeks and it did not harm any surfaces. check it out
Old 06-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #17
2010abmss

Drives: 2010 ABM SS
I wouldnt use road wrap my buddy used it on his camaro and it started to come off it was flapping in the wind and it scratched his paint
Old 06-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #18
2010abmss

Drives: 2010 ABM SS
Thanks blakk11 I might check that out I know tape is ugly but if it gets the job done then I might do that.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #19
Blakk11SS

Yah, it worked pretty well, for the gill area, don't bother pressing it down 'into' the gill as it will stretch, so just let it bridge the gill, they will appear as opaque. Sorry I did not have pictures of it for you. It is a little tricky at first, so if you don't get a smooth adhesion the 1st time, just peel it off and try another trimmed sheet. The smaller the pieces the better. And it helps if you have another person to help hold the roll as you stick it. It was great that it did not work loose even after getting water on it, took it thru the carwash a few times and it was still staying put.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #20
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakk11SS View Post
If you don't want to wait the 6 weeks turn around for the Colgan Bra, just Visit CarBras.com they stock the Colgan Custom style for Camaro's Since they usually have 'em in stock, they ship fast. If you have a Lowes or HomeDepot nearby, I have discovered that in the carpeting isle, there is a clear plastic film in rolls that costs about $10, its usually used for setting on top of carpeting, it is lightly adhesive and works surprisingly well to protect the car. I recently used it on a long trip to the East Coast to protect the lower quarters and gill area. just trim the product before you set it to the clean surface and gently smooth it with your hand as it goes on. Since it is clear it is somewhat un-noticable from a distance. after your trip, just peel it off. I had mine on for about 2 weeks and it did not harm any surfaces. check it out
Just ordered and payed for overnight ship. Thanks man!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #21
Blakk11SS

You're wecome, it has a great fit.
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #22
SSmoothie

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6SP Blk/Blk
Done it all.

The wrap comes off.

The Bra leave lines from lapping in the wind.

Best thing I've done is wax it really good. I have left the wax on the lower area until I arrived or at a nightly hotel and wiped it down and re-applied in the morning.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #23
Blakk11SS

Here's the shape of the well clip after positioning
Attached Images

Old 06-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #24
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmoothie View Post
Done it all.

The wrap comes off.

The Bra leave lines from lapping in the wind.

Best thing I've done is wax it really good. I have left the wax on the lower area until I arrived or at a nightly hotel and wiped it down and re-applied in the morning.
That does nothing for stones.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #25
White Shark

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
blackk11SS, the bra looks tight on black. My wife and I take a lot of weekend rides and I ordered that bra for the same reason. And the fact living in Colorado is horrible for the front of a car.
White Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #26
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
That does nothing for stones.
Neither does the temporary solutions most people are looking at and most of them will cause some sort of damage to the paint themselves. Fact of the matter is a rock being thrown at your car at the equivalent of 100 mph or more will still cause damage to your car.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #27
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Neither does the temporary solutions most people are looking at and most of them will cause some sort of damage to the paint themselves. Fact of the matter is a rock being thrown at your car at the equivalent of 100 mph or more will still cause damage to your car.
I'm not talking about large rocks, I'm talking about the stones that leave miniscule chips. A cm of padded vinyl will of course protect you from that.

And as far as damage goes, maybe if you left it on all the time and it fit poorly. I'll have mine on for one day as I drive to Michigan.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #28
TORKED

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Used the wrap before. Quick. Easy. Give it a shot.
TORKED is offline   Reply With Quote