Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest / Pacific Northwest

Old 07-29-2014, 03:16 PM   #15
ForgedReality
Envy

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS - Black hood/hockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
I wouldn't mind a spare, since Gary has some how managed to destroy his FOB...absolutely NO buttons left, just holes. Since I don't drive the Camaro much, I'd give him my switchblade and keep the dorky recall. ( I know, I'm awesome!)
When we brought the Camaro into Sunset for the oil change, Gary just told him he wanted his key back. No issue.
I figure I'll just give them the destroyed one and oopppsss I don't know where the 2nd set went.....
I've seen that key fob when it was well on its way to swiss cheese city. How do you even do that? :P
ForgedReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:58 PM   #16
Dragonlady
Lovin' it!

Drives: 2010 Synergy or a '83 Z-28.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgedReality View Post
I've seen that key fob when it was well on its way to swiss cheese city. How do you even do that? :P

Your guess is as good as mine...
Old 08-01-2014, 02:33 AM   #17
Liralen

Drives: 2013 KBM Camaro 2SS Hot Wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk500 View Post
Thanks for the advice! A spare generic key would be good for the dealer.
From what the dealer told me a few years ago, those keys are cut via the VIN number anyway. I don't think they need the original key.
I have no intention of allowing the recall to be preformed without my consent. But I'll ask the service manager. If that's the case, I guess it will go to my wifes mechanic. The dealer will loose out on my business.

Anyone who's knees can touch the steering column and turn off the key is sitting too close to the wheel! There's at least 8-10" between my knee and the key. Sounds like a knee jerk reaction by GM. Are the 'Vettes or Caddy's being recalled, I think not.

I still haven't received a notice from GM concerning the recall as of yet.

Update:

Questions I asked to the service manager friend of mine:

1. Is this a mandatory recall? Yep. GM can't force you to do the recall.

2. If it is, Can I opt out of the recall and sign some paperwork stating so?
He has seen paperwork in the past on other recall stating owners won't hold GM liable. If you have Onstar, it will continue to remind you of the recall. It will also come up when ever you take it in for service.

3. Can I keep my OEM keys? He says, yes.
Caddie keys are not being recalled as most of them have keyless ignition, just need to have the fob with you. Same for the doors, no need to unlock, just pull on the handle with the fob in the pocket. Well, at least my CTS4 is that way...
Liralen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:58 PM   #18
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
I just got back from having my keys made. I was asked did I want sign the wavier and keep the switch blade the way it was o get the new news. Since I have a viper alarm system with remote start I do not need the bulky GM fob now. In case any is wanting to know this done at Chevrolet of Puyallup.