Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #1
ATLSS
12 Camaro 1SS

Drives: Camaro 1SS
Steering Component Noises

Okay so I'm not quite sure where the best place to ask this is but I figure this is just as good as any.

For the past week or so I have been hearing a squeaking / whining noise coming from the steering wheel when I turn either way at low speeds. I have read several posts of people having the whole rack replaced and steering gears replaced under warranty.

I will be bringing my car to the dealership tomorrow hoping that they will fix the problem under warranty. Has anyone with modifications i.e. Headers had this done under warranty. I am concerned they will find a reason to not cover the repair under warranty. I realize that there a laws to protect us from unjustified denial of warranty repairs however I feel like they are quite useless unless you are willing to go to court and everything else that goes along with it.

Anyway, I'm just trying to figure out if there are any TSB out for this particular issue or if I should expect a hassle. All the help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ATLSS; 07-02-2014 at 07:55 PM.
ATLSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:00 PM   #2
brkntires
Bob

Drives: 2012 2SS Synergy Edition 6M
Mine has just started doing the same. I am at 32500 so I need to get it in soon.

Please let me know what you find out.

Sent from my LS3 equipped Note2 using Tapatalk

2012 Victory Red 2SS Synergy Edition M6
brkntires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:02 PM   #3
ATLSS
12 Camaro 1SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkntires View Post
Mine has just started doing the same. I am at 32500 so I need to get it in soon.

Please let me know what you find out.

Sent from my LS3 equipped Note2 using Tapatalk
Will do. I just hit 30k. It's supposed to be covered up to 3 years 36k so you better get on it sir.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:15 PM   #4
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
I think I heard the same thing today myself. Sounds like it's coming right from between the steering wheel and gauge cluster. I re-adjusted my steerign wheel thinking that would do it, no-go. Makes the noise with the engine off!

Kinda- weee-oooooOOOooo noise almost like an electrical sound but definitely not like any power steering sound I've ever heard in GMs from the '60s, '70s, 80's 90s, or 21st century.

I am just before 32,000 miles
Old 08-05-2014, 07:22 PM   #5
ATLSS
12 Camaro 1SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
I think I heard the same thing today myself. Sounds like it's coming right from between the steering wheel and gauge cluster. I re-adjusted my steerign wheel thinking that would do it, no-go. Makes the noise with the engine off!

Kinda- weee-oooooOOOooo noise almost like an electrical sound but definitely not like any power steering sound I've ever heard in GMs from the '60s, '70s, 80's 90s, or 21st century.

I am just before 32,000 miles
That is exactly the sound I was hearing. I was just at 30k when it began.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:24 PM   #6
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

I just double-checked- does it with engine on or off, no question.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:34 PM   #7
ATLSS
12 Camaro 1SS

UPDATE: I brought my car to dealer and talked to the service manager (I've never had the best of luck with service writers in the past so I just bypassed that stage) anyway, I explained in detail the noises I was hearing and he immediately asked if I could take him for a ride to help identify the issue. After about five minutes he noticed the sound and asked me to leave it with him. The next day he called and said that they were going to replace the rack UNDER WARRANTY. I couldn't believe it. Got my car back the very next day with a shiny, not noisy, new rack. Problem solved.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #8
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Good news, although with my car having been in the shop almost the entire month of July I was hoping for an easy fix...
Old 08-05-2014, 08:00 PM   #9
ATLSS
12 Camaro 1SS

That's unreal. There is no reason they should be holding on the vehicle that long. Once the service manager identified the problem the part was ordered, installed, and my car returned in less than 48 hours from when I first arrived. I would suggest reaching out GM customer service. In past experience, they have been a lot of help.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #10
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Oh, no, not for that. My car wasn't in a GM shop and it wasn't mechanical work. Somebody keyed my car in late June, all the shop time was body shop.

Was there a TSB or anything your service manager was aware of, for your steering issue?
Old 08-05-2014, 08:25 PM   #11
ATLSS
12 Camaro 1SS

I didn't reference any specific TSB but I did tell him about all the issues I read about this exact issue from various forums.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:24 PM   #12
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLSS View Post
UPDATE: I brought my car to dealer and talked to the service manager (I've never had the best of luck with service writers in the past so I just bypassed that stage) anyway, I explained in detail the noises I was hearing and he immediately asked if I could take him for a ride to help identify the issue. After about five minutes he noticed the sound and asked me to leave it with him. The next day he called and said that they were going to replace the rack UNDER WARRANTY. I couldn't believe it. Got my car back the very next day with a shiny, not noisy, new rack. Problem solved.
ATLSS,

Thanks for your update! It's great to hear that the dealer addressed your concerns and now service is complete. Please let us know how the vehicle operates moving forward and don't hesitate to message us if any additional questions or concerns arise.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 04:24 AM   #13
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

...three GM customers here with the same issue, service rep addresses one of them. I suppose Bob and I can go fly a kite.

Poor
customer service to not extend an offer of support to the other 66% of the people with the issue, William. The correct thing to do is acknowledge the other people that may have the same problem. This is basic, rudimentary customer service.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:13 PM   #14
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
...three GM customers here with the same issue, service rep addresses one of them. I suppose Bob and I can go fly a kite.

Poor
customer service to not extend an offer of support to the other 66% of the people with the issue, William. The correct thing to do is acknowledge the other people that may have the same problem. This is basic, rudimentary customer service.
My apologies,

You and any other members experiencing this are more than welcome to message me privately if you'd like assistance with coordinating an official GM diagnosis of your vehicle.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote