Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-07-2008, 02:17 AM   #1
blckWS6TA

Drives: 1996 Trans Am WS6
Some questions...

Well, I am a WS6 guy, but since the Firebird is probably done for good, it looks like I may get a new Camaro. I just have some questions and iffyness about ordering a car I haven't seen or driven.

First, I was reading that the SS only does 4.6 seconds 0-60, and 13.4 in the 1/4. Please tell me this is with a grandma driving, or that shifting at 2000 rpms to save gas. I would be seriously dissapointed in a 422 hp, $35.000 car that can't break 13 in a 1/4 mile. I know sometimes these numbers can be way off, but hell my 96 WS6 would do 13.4 all day when it was bone stock, and I have seen several stock LS1 TA's and Camaro's run 12.9 stock. If that is the case, more than likely I will buy an 02 Collector WS6 and just drive it once a month or something, but I'd really rather have a new SS that I can drive every day.

When I go into the dealer to pre-order the car, how does it exactly work. I know I have to put down a deposit in the range of 1000-2000 bucks, which is fine, but is it non-refundable?

Do I have to sign a contract when I place my order?

I know at this point I will probably be around 10th in a line at just about every dealer, so how long will I likely be waiting to get my Camaro?

If the 10 or so others that ordered prior to me all ordered 2SS/RS packages, would I still be able to order one as well?

Finally, for those of you that ordered the 2SS/RS with just about everything, how much were you looking at total, and was there dealer markup? One dealer already told me they were marking up 5-10k, and I told him to go F himself. (if anyone wants to recommend a chevy dealer in Texas that would be awesome as well, most of the ones in Houston are crap, at least Bill Heard's scamming ass is out of business)

Thanks for the help.
blckWS6TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:24 AM   #2
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quarter mile time...Here's a thread discussing the 1/4mile time. It's tough to say what it'll be until it really gets tested at least by the mags, which should hopefully happen rather soon, before the end of the month.

Basically they just take your name and contact info and put your order into the system. The deposit is up to the dealer and ranges from $0 to $2500 (probably more but those are what I've heard). Many (all?) states seem to have laws that make the deposit refundable until you take delivery (when it's not a deposit anymore). Getting your money back should you change your mind, however, may be a pain if the dealer gives you the runaround. I would get it in writing with the dealer in advance.

Contract is up to the dealer but unlikely. Usually just taking your order and deposit is all that's done. They should give you a printout showing all of your order info.

I wish I, or anyone else for that matter, knew when you'd get your car. I've heard estimates for all being done by April or even March (ulikely in my opinion) but GM says the current allocations are for up through the 3rd quarter (end of September). My money would be on May-June or so to see your car. But that's just pure supposition on my part.

What others have ordered in front of you at your dealer does affect when you get your car. Depending on the specific constraints on a week-to-week basis will determine what cars your dealer can order. If there's 10 people ahead of you and they all ordered the same thing, you would be (or should be) the 10th car ordered. If you ordered something entirely different than the rest in front of you (1lt vs 2ss or something), you could leapfrog them all depending on what GM can build. Noone has any way of knowing what will be under constraint at what times or when your dealer will see builds so you'll have to rely on luck for this. But ordering something different than the rest could help your cause to get the car earlier. I have a feeling the v6s will be done and built long before all the v8s due to GM being prepared to do 50/50 but the actual pre-orders being more like 80/20.

You can grab a pricing calculator here. This is all "unofficial" (even though it's prettty legit) pricing so when you go to your dealer they likely won't promise any sort of price. The order sheet they print out won't have any pricing on it. Good on ya for telling the shady dealer to F off. The MSRP (or lower) list is a good place to start. I went to GM's website and found all the chevy dealers in my area and just started calling.

Hope that helps. There's still a good bit of unknown info, a lot of which is because noone knows, not even GM. Keep in mind that GM is releasing a lot more info much earlier in advance than is ever done. For example, Ford just a few weeks ago showed off the 2010 Mustang and just last week announced pricing for it. And this is just a slight mod, not an entirely new car!!! The pre-ordering thing is also new so we're all kind of part of this experiment. This kind of transparency and early involvement is unheard of in the car industry. I like it but it seems some people have a tough time understanding that they can't have answers to all of their questions but it's still good/ok to ask for answers!

To the mods, et al... there really should be a F.A.Q thread. Would save everyone a lot of time.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 07:20 AM   #3
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
I sent you a message. It has the information you need :-)
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:55 AM   #4
MerlinZero
Big Orange

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS
haha Damn, Scotty is quick with that info.
MerlinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:31 PM   #5
blckWS6TA

Drives: 1996 Trans Am WS6
You guys kick ass. Thanks for the help.
442 RWTQ
blckWS6TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:25 PM   #6
Inspector 17
I love crepes

Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by blckWS6TA View Post
You guys kick ass. Thanks for the help.
Welcome to the site! We are here to help. Just let us know if you need anything else!
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 09:49 PM   #7
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinZero View Post
haha Damn, Scotty is quick with that info.
I have Camaro in my blood and DNA. I think I'm the only one OTHER than FBODFATHER that can legally say that.
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote