Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
yourWHAThurtz

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS RS
Must-Have Adam's Products?

I just started hand-washing my 2012 2SS and have been using the Maguiar line from Auto Zone. It's okay for the price, but I want to treat my paint the best I can.

I've heard Adam's has about the best quality products you can buy. So my question is, what should I buy if I'm just starting out? Keep in mind that I don't want too spend TOO much money but I will spend enough to get the job done.

yourWHAThurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Drives: 2010 1LT/RS IOM #25223
Americana, Detail Spray(gallon), and Glass Cleaner(gallon) hands down. The more I use these, the more I like them. Americana is one of my favorite waxes and trust me when I say I've tried waxes that cost up to around $2300(Zymol Vintage). Detail Spray and Glass Cleaner are my favorites in those categories too. I've tried many products and always come back to those three. No matter how you use the glass cleaner it never streaks. Their soap is very nice too. It is among my top 3 soaps behind Optimum and Dodo Juice Born to Be Mild. Idk if it has been changed over the last couple of years, but I have a gallon from 2008 that is very nice. I also like their great white drying towel. I have Waffle Weave towels that are different colors and due to the dyes they don't absorb as well. The Waterless wash is good too, but it's not necessarily a must have because Waterless Washes aren't for everyone. I use them after each drive to remove bugs from my front bumper. Their glass sealant is nice too. It works, but is not a necessary. Just don't get your mind set that Adam's has everything that you need. There are other alternatives. I couldn't count in my head how many different brands that I use. But Adam's is nice in many categories. Their reps are also very helpful.
Iomcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Save for a few months and buy their complete Porter Cable kit

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-735-a...isher-kit.aspx
Old 04-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
yourWHAThurtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iomcamaro View Post
Americana, Detail Spray(gallon), and Glass Cleaner(gallon) hands down. The more I use these, the more I like them. Americana is one of my favorite waxes and trust me when I say I've tried waxes that cost up to around $2300(Zymol Vintage). Detail Spray and Glass Cleaner are my favorites in those categories too. I've tried many products and always come back to those three. No matter how you use the glass cleaner it never streaks. Their soap is very nice too. It is among my top 3 soaps behind Optimum and Dodo Juice Born to Be Mild. Idk if it has been changed over the last couple of years, but I have a gallon from 2008 that is very nice. I also like their great white drying towel. I have Waffle Weave towels that are different colors and due to the dyes they don't absorb as well. The Waterless wash is good too, but it's not necessarily a must have because Waterless Washes aren't for everyone. I use them after each drive to remove bugs from my front bumper. Their glass sealant is nice too. It works, but is not a necessary. Just don't get your mind set that Adam's has everything that you need. There are other alternatives. I couldn't count in my head how many different brands that I use. But Adam's is nice in many categories. Their reps are also very helpful.
This is great info I appreciate it. I'd like to find one place to go to for the sake of shipping costs. What are the other brands you'd recommend?

Old 04-05-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Really need more information. Do you just want to clean and protect? Do you need/want to correct the paint?
Old 04-05-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
yourWHAThurtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Save for a few months and buy their complete Porter Cable kit

http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-735-a...isher-kit.aspx
How often should you use this? Is this pretty effective on swirls?

Old 04-05-2012, 01:36 PM   #7
yourWHAThurtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Really need more information. Do you just want to clean and protect? Do you need/want to correct the paint?
I took my car to a hand wash a week after having it (thinking it would be better taken care of) and I got a custom swirl paint job. It was the end of the day and they were obviously using dirty towels to dry.

So I guess I'm looking to get rid of the swirls first. And after that, just clean and protect.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:37 PM   #8
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourWHAThurtz View Post
This is great info I appreciate it. I'd like to find one place to go to for the sake of shipping costs. What are the other brands you'd recommend?
It truly just depends on what you want. I use different brands for different things. If you want a list of what I mostly use I could make one for you, but if I had to choose one all around brand, it would be Meguiar's. Except for the wax. I don't care too much for Meg's last step products. Phil at DD is a great place to order from. As is Grabiak Performance center for Adam's. Adam's is even having a sale right now with great shipping prices.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #9
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Quote:
I took my car to a hand wash a week after having it (thinking it would be better taken care of) and I got a custom swirl paint job. It was the end of the day and they were obviously using dirty towels to dry.

So I guess I'm looking to get rid of the swirls first. And after that, just clean and protect.
If you want to get rid of swirls, you're gonna have to get a machine polisher.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #10
CamaroDreams07

Quote:

Then Steiger is right if you just have to have Adam's. Do that first, then we can talk about waxes and such.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
Iomcamaro
The enjoyment never ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
Then Steiger is right if you just have to have Adam's. Do that first, then we can talk about waxes and such.
Tag Team.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #12
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
Quote:
Local dealer in your area! Im jealous

Ultimate Auto Concepts-
24820 N. 16th Ave
Bldg 2 Suite 160A
Phoenix, AZ 85085 623-582-2623
Old 04-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #13
CamaroDreams07

Quote:
Tag Team.
Haha, we gotta meet up next time I'm on my way up to MI. Know any good bars around you?
Old 04-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #14
yourWHAThurtz

Quote:
If you want to get rid of swirls, you're gonna have to get a machine polisher.
Between mods and cleaning supplies, I'm gonna be living out of my car pretty soon. This car is sucking my bank account dry!! Lol

Tags
adam's, clean, detail, hand wash, water spots