Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-15-2015, 11:40 AM   #1
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
Dealer to do the oil changes?

Obviously with a car like this there is a risk the flunkie at the dealership might screw something up, but the two years of free maintenance is worth something. With that being said, would you take off the air deflector underneath before you took the care in, or not? I did my own first oil change, and there are a lot of screws holding that on. Not sure how well the guys at the local dealer would do with this, unless instructed.

I just have flashbacks to when I had my C6 Z06, and all the horror stories of other guys who took their corvettes in for routine oil changes. And the techs werent familiar with the remote oil tank set up.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:48 AM   #2
winterboy8

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Blue Velvet Metallic
According to what my dealer told me, only the certified techs are allowed to do my oil change. I actually witnessed the quick lube guy tell the service person he couldn't even drive the car and only the certified guys could do the oil change. I took that as a good sign so I'm letting my dealer do mine. Like you said, it's like $100 even doing it yourself that you save every 5,000 miles.
Old 12-15-2015, 12:16 PM   #3
FrostySS

Drives: 2018 Redline Edition 2SS
Any good service writer/manager/dispatcher will know what techs should/should not work on these cars. I'd talk to the service manager first, then proceed from there.
2018 Redline Edition 2SS- A8, NPP, MRC, Recaro seats, ECS Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, cat deletes, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts Drake Muscle Car wicker bill, Adams Polishes Ceramic Coating

2010 Infiniti G37x Sedan for the DD.
FrostySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:24 PM   #4
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Would you give a 16 year old keys to a 580hp car?

Forget it.

It's not worth the risk......
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:50 PM   #5
FrostySS

Drives: 2018 Redline Edition 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Would you give a 16 year old keys to a 580hp car?

Forget it.

It's not worth the risk......
16yr olds don't work in dealership shops, again...competent dealerships know who to give these cars to.
2018 Redline Edition 2SS- A8, NPP, MRC, Recaro seats, ECS Novi 1500 tuned by EFX, cat deletes, Mighty Mouse Wild CC, GM STB, smoked ZL1 3rd brake light, Xpel XR Black 35% tint all around, Street Scene front splitter, C7 Carbon ZL1 side skirts Drake Muscle Car wicker bill, Adams Polishes Ceramic Coating

2010 Infiniti G37x Sedan for the DD.
FrostySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 12:52 PM   #6
VTSummit
Consistently inconsistent

Drives: 2015 2LT Summit White
Good grief-
Flunkies? The guy doing my oil change tomorrow has a degree and 11 years experience. Most customers are flunkies compared to him. Stereotype much?
2015 2LT Ported TB, Ported intake, JACFAB intake spacer, Borla exhaust, IPF 91 tune, Complete 1/LE suspension, Brembo brakes, Goodridge lines, Elite catch can, CAI with Thermo-wrap, 275/40-20 x 10's all around, Z/28 spoiler, GM splitter, Alpine/Polk stereo with AudiControl interface.
VTSummit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:05 PM   #7
Enough Already

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1-M6
Develop a relationship with the Service Manager first, before you even need it. If they are willing to invest in that, then you have a real shot of extra-special care. I have spoken to several in the area and picked the one I choose to work with. I will drive past several dealerships to go to the one who spent over an hour with me on the phone, invited me over for a meet & greet and gave me his personal number.
Enough Already is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:25 PM   #8
Leviser

Drives: 03 BLK SSS, 13 BRM ZL1.
Unless you are familiar with service dept. (tech, writer and Mgr). I don't see and issue. But with that said, you never know. Best bet is to do yourself. Just did mine before storing for winter. Took my time while listening to some tunes. Plus if u have an oil catch can, be sure to empty.
Leviser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:34 PM   #9
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterboy8 View Post
According to what my dealer told me, only the certified techs are allowed to do my oil change. I actually witnessed the quick lube guy tell the service person he couldn't even drive the car and only the certified guys could do the oil change. I took that as a good sign so I'm letting my dealer do mine. Like you said, it's like $100 even doing it yourself that you save every 5,000 miles.
$100? Where are you buying your oil? Costs me about $35 each time I change mine and that is full synthetic.
And OP, if you go to the trouble of removing the belly pan yourself you might as well go ahead and drain the oil while you are under there. Takes and additional 10 sec to pull the plug.
Old 12-15-2015, 01:53 PM   #10
winterboy8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
$100? Where are you buying your oil? Costs me about $35 each time I change mine and that is full synthetic.
And OP, if you go to the trouble of removing the belly pan yourself you might as well go ahead and drain the oil while you are under there. Takes and additional 10 sec to pull the plug.
Damn, where are YOU getting your oil? 8 qts of synthetic for $35 is pretty damn good deal. If I wasn't getting free oil changes for life, I'd seriously be buying my oil same place as you. BTW, the $100 is for 8 qts Mobil 1 and a filter at local store.
Old 12-15-2015, 02:26 PM   #11
Samson2029

Drives: 328xi, ML400, ZL1 man. 2013
no longer taking my zed to the dealership for oil changes. the first time I the dealer scratched one wheel and did not tighten the oil filter enough. filter leaked. I was lucky enough to make it to the next oil change without losing significant quantities of oil.
now it is done at a small garage. car is lifted on a ramp without risk and I can keep watch on everything they do instead of being directed to a waiting area.
Samson2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 03:03 PM   #12
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterboy8 View Post
Damn, where are YOU getting your oil? 8 qts of synthetic for $35 is pretty damn good deal. If I wasn't getting free oil changes for life, I'd seriously be buying my oil same place as you. BTW, the $100 is for 8 qts Mobil 1 and a filter at local store.
Walmart. $22 or $25 for 5qt jug. AC Delco filter abou $4. Usually get two jugs and use half of the second one. And I get 10% of anything at Walmart.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:50 PM   #13
sengli

Drives: 2015commemorative vert 2SS
Stereo type much,, Yes in this case I do. The kid they have doing the oil changes at my local dealership, is very young. He is not a ASE mechanic like the other techs on site are. He could not figure out the stock breather oil cap assembly on my 1LE so he broke it trying to get it off. Mind you this wasnt some after market type thing I installed. This was the from the factory stock set up. Granted it was different than your standard oil fill cap. So it doesnt instill alot of confidence. Maybe it s not because I think they are idiots, just they are just almost always rushed to do jobs too fast by management.
sengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 05:40 AM   #14
winterboy8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZO6 Bryan View Post
Walmart. $22 or $25 for 5qt jug. AC Delco filter abou $4. Usually get two jugs and use half of the second one. And I get 10% of anything at Walmart.
Nice, didn't realize they sold it for that cheap. Gotta love Wally World.