Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-23-2016, 05:46 PM   #1
Samson2029

Drives: 328xi, ML400, ZL1 man. 2013
5th gen zl1 vs 6 gen SS impression

Picked up my zl1 at the garage a few days ago for repairs and had the opportunity to examine and reflect on the newly designed 2016 camaro. Struck up a conversation with my sales agent from which i purchased my zl1. I lead him to believe that I may be interested in a trade in. He somehow indirectly tried to discourage me from giving back my zl1. Interesting reaction.

Basically both cars are practically identical in size. The rounded edges on the new car is quite obvious but still to a milder degree carries over the look of the first gen. The front lost its aggressiveness and the rear became a bit generic. Not sure if it looks american or a bit japanese. For a camaro fan and first time buyer, I am sure this new 6th gen will be quite satisfying. less wt, more power, more technology. But for me the new 6th gen does not leave its mark in terms of look. It doesn't give you that muscle car presence anymore. Probably and purposefully done to cater to a more general international (european) market and probably to both female and male buyers.

For all those 5th gen owners, keep your 5th gen, it's a generation that will be admired by camaro fans for many years to come. Again the 6th gen is a fantasitc car but for me, it does not offer enough of a wow effect to upgrade my car.

Can't wait to see the next revision of the 6th gen. Would love to see something based on the second gen in some distant future. We will see the sales of the new camaro vs the mustang and challengers, That's a more objective way to see if gm succeeded or stumbled.
Samson2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 06:48 PM   #2
mjross

Drives: 2014 Vette Stingray,2017 Camaro 2SS
6 gen is built for the next generation! Not my choice but that is OK, I'm an old duffer. I like the 5th gen because it reminds me of the Camaros when I was young. The next gen wants something different, something that they will remember when they are my age, something they call their own. When I look at a 5th gen I think of the old muscle cars. When I look at the 6th gen with the aggressive front end, I think more of the new trend in vehicles today. Nothing wrong with that, but it just looses the muscle car feeling of years ago. This is the Camaro for the next generation and that is fine. It's their muscle car and I understand that. Just not what this old dude is looking for. Both are excellent vehicles.

Peace
mjross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:37 AM   #3
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson2029 View Post
Picked up my zl1 at the garage a few days ago for repairs and had the opportunity to examine and reflect on the newly designed 2016 camaro. Struck up a conversation with my sales agent from which i purchased my zl1. I lead him to believe that I may be interested in a trade in. He somehow indirectly tried to discourage me from giving back my zl1. Interesting reaction.

Basically both cars are practically identical in size. The rounded edges on the new car is quite obvious but still to a milder degree carries over the look of the first gen. The front lost its aggressiveness and the rear became a bit generic. Not sure if it looks american or a bit japanese. For a camaro fan and first time buyer, I am sure this new 6th gen will be quite satisfying. less wt, more power, more technology. But for me the new 6th gen does not leave its mark in terms of look. It doesn't give you that muscle car presence anymore. Probably and purposefully done to cater to a more general international (european) market and probably to both female and male buyers.

For all those 5th gen owners, keep your 5th gen, it's a generation that will be admired by camaro fans for many years to come. Again the 6th gen is a fantasitc car but for me, it does not offer enough of a wow effect to upgrade my car.

Can't wait to see the next revision of the 6th gen. Would love to see something based on the second gen in some distant future. We will see the sales of the new camaro vs the mustang and challengers, That's a more objective way to see if gm succeeded or stumbled.
I agree! Also there is no rear space in the back seats. The rear of the car is very plain and the hood plastic vents of the 6th. Gen SS look very cheap. I like the front and sides of the car but looks like a Japanese sport car compared to our 5th gen ZL1 that has a very nice muscle car design, more agressive look. I don't doubt that our 5th gen ZL1s would become classics. Also our powertrain ZL1 are bullet proof.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:18 AM   #4
teddywetts

Drives: 2012 ZL1 Camaro, 2015 Silverado 6.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjross View Post
6 gen is built for the next generation! Not my choice but that is OK, I'm an old duffer. I like the 5th gen because it reminds me of the Camaros when I was young. The next gen wants something different, something that they will remember when they are my age, something they call their own. When I look at a 5th gen I think of the old muscle cars. When I look at the 6th gen with the aggressive front end, I think more of the new trend in vehicles today. Nothing wrong with that, but it just looses the muscle car feeling of years ago. This is the Camaro for the next generation and that is fine. It's their muscle car and I understand that. Just not what this old dude is looking for. Both are excellent vehicles.

Peace
I respect this. Im pretty similar. Ive driven the 6th gen SS. Fun, quick, little car. However, it was a little too "cute" for me. My ZL1 is like a vintage leather jacket thats broken in and sexy. The new SS is like a male model with a man bun... I understand its purpose, and I know a lot of people will jump on it, but its not for me.
teddywetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 11:54 AM   #5
Shark72

Drives: '16 Z06/Z07, '15 Z/28,1972 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddywetts View Post
I respect this. Im pretty similar. Ive driven the 6th gen SS. Fun, quick, little car. However, it was a little too "cute" for me. My ZL1 is like a vintage leather jacket thats broken in and sexy. The new SS is like a male model with a man bun... I understand its purpose, and I know a lot of people will jump on it, but its not for me.
^^^^^
Right on!!!
2015 Z/28 #642 Black Bad Ass
Shark72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 12:33 PM   #6
owhite3003
Z-BEAST

Drives: 2013 JDP ZL-850 Track Spec ZL1,
Quote:
Man bun.
owhite3003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:49 PM   #7
Samson2029

whats a Man Bun ??
Old 07-25-2016, 04:01 PM   #8
Samson2029

the 5th gen especially the zl1 shows its presence as a unique car on the streets, the 6th gen somehow blends in with traffic, that was my impression seeing 6 gen at a red light
Hope to see one day a camaro based on the second gen.
Those were really nice back then. The drive train of the zl1 is bulletproof, performs no matter how much we abuse them. Doesn't break, doesn't over heat, transmission is tough. differential belongs on a big truck. The new 6th gen has 300 pounds less materials. It is lighter and faster but what is the compromise ?
Old 07-25-2016, 04:38 PM   #9
ZL1ster

Drives: '13 ZL1 IOM M6
Quote:

Worth quoting

Man Bun! So eloquently said...
ZL1ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:01 PM   #10
Nor Cal ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Lol right on bro, that is a bullseye right there!
Nor Cal ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:28 AM   #11
Samson2029

last night driving my truck, I noticed a young couple driving a brand new mustang. as he drove away I was shocked to see it was the new 6th generation camaro. The ironic thing is that I am a zl1 owner.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:29 PM   #12
bkevind

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Hilarity. Man buns.

As this is my first Camaro (2013) I can't claim to be a long time Camaro fan, though I've always been interested in them. Just never ticked that box "good on a road course". Until Gen5 1LE. Yes I know you can take pretty much any gen Camaro and mod it to be good at your chosen task. From my old perspective, Camaros were either for roll racing, beat up V6 rs from the 80's, or very nice and expensive collectors cars from the late 60's. Or strippers.

I think the new gens look pretty good still but I see where you are coming from, they are trending towards...trendy looks. At the end of the day, the Camaro is still going to attract a specific group of people that want a muscle car. And strippers.

Hell the new Corvette looks like a Euro sports car now...which I think is awesome. I can consider one without opening up the top 3 buttons of my shirt. (joking)
bkevind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:35 PM   #13
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
I had a chance to choose which version I wanted to go with. After sitting in the Gen6, it felt to tight and looked just overall smaller is size then the Gen5. The Gen5 felt just right... so that's what I got.

joe...
Old 10-04-2016, 03:58 PM   #14
97ChameleonTA

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Convertible
LOL! Man bun = douche knob...

We have a 2016 SS in our stable but it happens to be the wife's daily driver. It's an alright car all around but definitely smaller and more, uh, european....

New times to come with E85

2016 2SS Auto - Hyper Blue Metallic
Roto-Fab CAI
97ChameleonTA is offline   Reply With Quote