Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 05-12-2011, 12:13 PM   #29
ORANGA2D

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jajru View Post
So in order to plasti dip the wheels all you have to do is to wash them clean and spray it on....would i have to cover the tires with painters tape? ...Any other useful tips?
Sorry if it sounds dumb but im a paint virgin
Just pull the wheels off the car wash and dry. Dont need to remove the tires from the rims. Put index cards between the rim and tire and spray your little heart out. I sprayed a one coat on each rim then back for a second and third once i finished the forth. So, spray, 1,2,3,4 back to 1,2,3,4 back to 1,2,3,4. That gave enough time to dry a bit before the next coat so it didnt run. Real easy.
ORANGA2D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:21 PM   #30
Jajru

Drives: a pretty darn good vehicle
Thanks man appreciate the help

Jajru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #31
JCO2185
RIDING ON AIR

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Summit White
i used 4 cans total. Did 2 coats on the inside of the rim and 3 on the outside. Took a couple hours. I didnt have any cards, so I taped off the rim from the tire.

--John--2010 Camaro 2LT/RS, Summit White
Air Ride Suspension, BBK Longtube Headers, Hi-Flo cats, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Elite Catch-Can, Airraid CAI, Trifecta tune, ZL1 front end with Phantom grille, ZL1 side skirts, MRR228 graphite wheels
JCO2185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:18 PM   #32
Funkymaddox

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT/RS
one question, how did you guys get that sprayed on without bubbles and even? i tried plasti dip on a 2nd bowtie and it is so difficult do make it look smooth and even! how far away do you hold the spray bottle? any other spray tricks?
Funkymaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #33
MrandMrsNinja

Drives: 11' SGM 2SS/13' GT/08' F-150 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
Do it right and get your wheels powder coated instead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
I guess I'm lucky in the fact I know exactly what I want my car to look like, and never felt like a mod I made wasn't going to look great. To each his own. This seems totally ghetto to do to a brand new car, but if you like it go for it. Has anybody actually tried to take this stuff off yet?
why you such a hater? it's a cheap mod that people wanna try. if it's not for you, then it's not for you. no need to pop into all these threads and hate. just read, disagree in your mind and go onto something that interest you. hater.

on a side note, hope it turns out OP. I've seen some other poeple who have done it, and it looks great!
MrandMrsNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #34
Rounki

Drives: 2010 CGM SS/RS IO Int.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkymaddox View Post
one question, how did you guys get that sprayed on without bubbles and even? i tried plasti dip on a 2nd bowtie and it is so difficult do make it look smooth and even! how far away do you hold the spray bottle? any other spray tricks?

I would just make sure to shake the can real well before spraying. The first coat I sprayed from about a foot away just dusting it. Make sure the nozzle doesn't have build up and is clogged from previous usage. This can cause the paint to splatter out.

On the next few coats I went a little slower following the contours. I made sure to always be moving while spraying and never staying in the same spot long. Make sure to give it some time between coats (~15-30 min). It may look a bit lumpy and orange peeled initially when wet but it will all settle out smooth.

Hope this helps a little.

XS Power 1 7/8 LT Headers
XS Power 3" Cat Back
Vmax TB
ADM Street Intake
H&R Springs
Forgestar F14s
Tuned by HPT
Rounki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:56 AM   #35
JCO2185
RIDING ON AIR

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Summit White
yea i didnt have bubbles with mine, just make sure its mixed up good enough

--John--2010 Camaro 2LT/RS, Summit White
Air Ride Suspension, BBK Longtube Headers, Hi-Flo cats, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Elite Catch-Can, Airraid CAI, Trifecta tune, ZL1 front end with Phantom grille, ZL1 side skirts, MRR228 graphite wheels
JCO2185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:31 AM   #36
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Anybody try this as a black out on the rear trunk lid. If not I'm thinking about it.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #37
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
Anybody try this as a black out on the rear trunk lid. If not I'm thinking about it.
Good thinking! Hmmmm, I may try that myself!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:13 PM   #38
GreenMonster
Its all about the U

Drives: 2010 SGM
lol reading this thread and another one on the subject I just went out and bought the plasti dip .. going to remove bezels and taillight markers also try a few other things.

any tips of successfully removing bezels and/or sidemarkers w.o breaking anything will be much appreciated
Old 05-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #39
Rounki

Drives: 2010 CGM SS/RS IO Int.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
There was someone in another thread that had used it to paint below the front bumper grill and showed how easy it was to remove. I'm pretty sure it will work, just make sure the surface that your gonna spray is nice and clean.

Another thing is, if your masking off the top line where u want the painted black out to end, you have to peel it off before the plasti dip dries. I would suggest quicker heavier layers with less time in between coats and after your last coat, carefully peel the painters tape off before the pasti dip dries.

XS Power 1 7/8 LT Headers
XS Power 3" Cat Back
Vmax TB
ADM Street Intake
H&R Springs
Forgestar F14s
Tuned by HPT
Rounki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:02 PM   #40
GreenMonster
Its all about the U

Drives: 2010 SGM
Just did this not too long ago after reading this thread and another on the subject. I took it off already since I felt the chrome doesn't look good with this black affect but overall plastidip is ok in my book.

going to do bezels today
Attached Images