Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-14-2009, 10:16 PM   #1
gearjammer

Drives: 01' Z28, 05' RCSB, 08' G8 GT
Any issues from the past?

Has anyone been able to determine whether or not the "new" manual transmission clutch hydraulics are any better than the previous F-car versions (i.e. in need of the infamous "drill mod").....also just how stout is the "new" rear end....will we need to be looking to convert to a 9" for drag strip longevity?
gearjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:38 PM   #2
THE EVIL TW1N
Banned

Drives: 2003 Cobra Convertible
nobody knows. Closest thing you can look at right now are the G8's, and more specifically, the G8 GXP's.

Some will say the rear can take a decent amount, but it hasn't been tested by the public nor is it safe to say where the wheel hop thesh hold is at or if wheel hop is possible.
THE EVIL TW1N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:00 AM   #3
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
The rear end should be bulletproof. The reviews have ranged on the clutch. It's an American manual. Hard to explain.. but probably never will shift like an RX8 or Porsche but then again it will have it's unique feel.

If it's one thing GM makes best are the rear ends. This one is like Dana 33 just a little different, coils instead of composite spring. The rear end is a strong point for the car not a weak point. It will probably outlast most of our lifetimes if corrosion is controlled and fluids changed. (Ujoints and bearings don't count they are designed to be replaced).

If someone wants to go higher than 400 HP then that's on them not Chevy. When you start modding the powertrain then of course your warranty is poof and it's on you at that point.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:39 AM   #4
UsedTaHaveA68

Drives: Hyundai Sonata
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash View Post
The rear end should be bulletproof. The reviews have ranged on the clutch. It's an American manual. Hard to explain.. but probably never will shift like an RX8 or Porsche but then again it will have it's unique feel.

If it's one thing GM makes best are the rear ends.
Tremec is a Mexican company. It's short for Transmisiones Y Equipos Mecánicos, or transmissions and mechanical equipment. But granted, the TR6060 is the successor to the Borg Warner designed T56, which was an American Company.

And GM building the best rear ends? Tell that to the 4th Gen F-body owners and tell me how many laugh in your face. Granted they've come a long way since those 7.5" rears, but I've heard of the 10 bolt G80's in the half ton trucks not lasting too long as well. I think the Ford 9" wins in this dept.
UsedTaHaveA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 02:19 AM   #5
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Well Mexico is just as American as Canada. People know what I mean it's a USA style shifter.

And he asked about the Clutch. Which is not the transmission...

And the 4th Gen rears where fine tell that to what 4th gen owners? It's not wise to assume members have not owned Camaro's. Which I have. I have over 100,000 miles on 4th gens' and about 260,000 miles on 2nd gen and about 20,000 on first gen. And about 50,000 in Corvettes 3rd and 4th gen (on my 15th car now).

Got pownt?
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:50 AM   #6
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
The 4th gen rearends are fine if you don't abuse them.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 07:52 AM   #7
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Well Mexico is just as American as Canada. People know what I mean it's a USA style shifter.

And the 4th Gen rears where fine tell that to what 4th gen owners? It's not wise to assume members have not owned Camaro's. Which I have. I have over 100,000 miles on 4th gens' and about 260,000 miles on 2nd gen and about 20,000 on first gen. And about 50,000 in Corvettes 3rd and 4th gen (on my 15th car now).

Got pownt?
I can see this thread getting closed ...

BTW .. you don't seem to know what your talking about as much as you think you do .. LOL

To the OP .. I think it is too early to tell about longevity as well as how much power the drivetrain can hold. You would hope that they have learned from the 4th Gen weaknesses that they are no longer here with the 5th Gens. Personally I don't think we have anything to worry about, but it will be interesting to see what happens once people start making gobs of power with these cars.

Crowley

Last edited by Crowley; 04-15-2009 at 08:10 AM.
Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:42 AM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:

Got pownt?
Keep comments respectful. You have brought as much assumption in your post as the OP. No one gets "pownt" here. It's all about learning and sharing. If you can't do that, perhaps this site is not the right place.

As far as the clutch issues brought up originally, I doubt those will be a problem. If I remember right, there was a fix starting on '01 F-cars that took care of that with a new slave cylinder. However, I don't think we're going to truly get a grasp on any idiosyncrasies until we get some miles on these cars and start leaning on them. I remember reading the rear end on these cars have held up to more than 600 horse', however, the conditions it was under were not disclosed (what I mean is, was that on a track with good traction, or was the rear actually putting power to the ground - ya' know?)

I'm kinda' worried about the driveline joints myself. However, if they've made it this far, I can't imagine they're going to be much of a liability until you get the car under really harsh circumstances. Then again, it'll only be a new aftermarket driveshaft away from that being a possible issue.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:19 PM   #9
UsedTaHaveA68

Drives: Hyundai Sonata
Quote:

Got pownt?
No disrespect was meant, Vash. You stated it was "an American manual." I was merely pointing out that Tremec is a Mexican company.

And the reason I was picking on the 4th gen rear ends is because the ring is a very small 7.5" in diameter. The old 10-bolts from the 60's were 8.5". The 4th gen rear ends were designed to be low-cost, economical, and efficient. And they were. Those small rings created less parasitic drag than a larger ring and pinion, i.e. GM 12 bolt (8.875") or Ford 9 inch (9", quite obviously). I have personally been at the track when a guy I knew, with a brand new 35th anniversary Trans Am, yellow with black stripes, bone stock not 3 months old, put a set of 16" salad shooters on the back with some Nitto drag radials and broke the rear end in half on his first run. These rear ends are NOTORIOUS for breaking when higher-than-stock power levels are applied to them with good traction. This, in my very humble opinion, hardly makes GM "king of the rear-ends." And as stated in my first post, they have quite obviously come a long way since then. I do not assume people here don't own or haven't owned 4th gens, and I have a feeling most of them will back up my opinion that those 7.5" rear ends are NOT the best to ever come out of Detroit.

So next time you think you're "owning" someone, at least learn how to spell it correctly.

Done with this thread.
UsedTaHaveA68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:30 PM   #10
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 01:39 PM   #11
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedTaHaveA68 View Post
No disrespect was meant, Vash. You stated it was "an American manual." I was merely pointing out that Tremec is a Mexican company.

And the reason I was picking on the 4th gen rear ends is because the ring is a very small 7.5" in diameter. The old 10-bolts from the 60's were 8.5". The 4th gen rear ends were designed to be low-cost, economical, and efficient. And they were. Those small rings created less parasitic drag than a larger ring and pinion, i.e. GM 12 bolt (8.875") or Ford 9 inch (9", quite obviously). I have personally been at the track when a guy I knew, with a brand new 35th anniversary Trans Am, yellow with black stripes, bone stock not 3 months old, put a set of 16" salad shooters on the back with some Nitto drag radials and broke the rear end in half on his first run. These rear ends are NOTORIOUS for breaking when higher-than-stock power levels are applied to them with good traction. This, in my very humble opinion, hardly makes GM "king of the rear-ends." And as stated in my first post, they have quite obviously come a long way since then. I do not assume people here don't own or haven't owned 4th gens, and I have a feeling most of them will back up my opinion that those 7.5" rear ends are NOT the best to ever come out of Detroit.

So next time you think you're "owning" someone, at least learn how to spell it correctly.

Done with this thread.
Stick to the topic please. Vash was already addressed. Take it to PMs if you need...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:14 PM   #12
gearjammer

Drives: 01' Z28, 05' RCSB, 08' G8 GT
OK, I haven't had a chance to get back here til now...............so it seems there isn't any real "dragstrip thrash" type first hand info out here yet. I guess I wouldn't be hammering on my new Camaro (if I had one) right off the bat. Although after some thought it would seem that if some of the sponsors had bought them that's where the data would come from first (they probably aren't too worried about warranty issues).
gearjammer is offline   Reply With Quote