Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #1
zfuzz

Drives: 69 Z28 / 12 ZL1
Supercharger replacement / Flutter ?

So on this supercharger replacement deal no one has mentioned the note in the TSB that manual transmission cars will experience a flutter / rattle. What the heck is up with that? Anyone with experience with this yet?

From TSB....

Note: To improve reliability of the supercharger one of the changes made was to go to a solid coupler between the geartrain and the drive pulley. A tradeoff to this improvement is that manual transmission vehicles may experience a flutter or rattle at low RPM (800-900) and high load (second or third gear). This flutter only lasts a moment and is a normal characteristic of this design.
zfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:42 AM   #2
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfuzz View Post
So on this supercharger replacement deal no one has mentioned the note in the TSB that manual transmission cars will experience a flutter / rattle. What the heck is up with that? Anyone with experience with this yet?

From TSB....

Note: To improve reliability of the supercharger one of the changes made was to go to a solid coupler between the geartrain and the drive pulley. A tradeoff to this improvement is that manual transmission vehicles may experience a flutter or rattle at low RPM (800-900) and high load (second or third gear). This flutter only lasts a moment and is a normal characteristic of this design.
this could be in part, what the original spring coupler was designed to help alleviate as the spring would absorb some of the vibration.

now that they will be using a solid coupler, this inherent 'rattle' will not be absorbed and you may hear a bit of it under certain conditions.

Note: this is ALL speculation on my part.

Either way, note the conditions mentioned in the TSB.
Low RPM (800-900) AND high load (second or third gear)
and will be momentary.

How often would you be driving your manual ZL1 at those rpm's and high load?

just about as often as you would encounter the dreaded 'skip-shift'.

I'm not worried in the least.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:09 AM   #3
Samson2029

Drives: 328xi, ML400, ZL1 man. 2013
annoyed by this flutter or rattle, passengers new to my car ask me what is that noise. Have to tell them there is nothing wrong with the car and that it is normal. One friend told me you should have bought a german car. anyways this is not fun for a high priced car. I am sure it will contribute to the cars overall second hand value.
Samson2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson2029 View Post
annoyed by this flutter or rattle, passengers new to my car ask me what is that noise. Have to tell them there is nothing wrong with the car and that it is normal. One friend told me you should have bought a german car. anyways this is not fun for a high priced car. I am sure it will contribute to the cars overall second hand value.
Once AGAIN, if you can hear the rattle, take it to your local dealer. the SC will be replaced under warranty.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:25 AM   #5
Samson2029

Already got the new upgraded SC. Under light acceleration in first gear there is a brief but obvious rattle. I consider this a real turn off. Now I have to be more aggressive on the throttle for it not to rattle. Do the new 2014 and 2015 manuals have this rattling with its facory installed upgraded SC?? Any mods to reduce this rattle other than getting a louder exhaust?? For this momentary rattle to be mentioned in the TSB doesn't make it right or "OK". Customers should not accept this after paying close to 60 000$ This is an engineering screw up by GM and Eaton. If I were to test drive a 2015 zl1 and have noticed this vibration or rattle related to the solid isolator, it would have been enough for me not to purchase the car. Each customer is different but right now for me this is a real turn off and this may very welll be my last purchase from from a domestic car manufacturer. Going back to the dealer in hope that there is some adjustment to make this vibration/rattle less obvious. This will be my eighth visit to the garage ever since I purchased my 2013. (Transmission grinding noise, exhaust failure, front left wheel noise, back right suspension clunking, a damaged wheel by garage lift which the dealer denied, supercharger replacement, regular maintenance, and soon the key fab).

Last edited by Samson2029; 07-19-2014 at 04:41 AM.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:21 AM   #6
Schmo Z

Drives: IOM ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson2029 View Post
Already got the new upgraded SC. Under light acceleration in first gear there is a brief but obvious rattle. I consider this a real turn off. Now I have to be more aggressive on the throttle for it not to rattle. Do the new 2014 and 2015 manuals have this rattling with its facory installed upgraded SC?? Any mods to reduce this rattle other than getting a louder exhaust?? For this momentary rattle to be mentioned in the TSB doesn't make it right or "OK". Customers should not accept this after paying close to 60 000$ This is an engineering screw up by GM and Eaton. If I were to test drive a 2015 zl1 and have noticed this vibration or rattle related to the solid isolator, it would have been enough for me not to purchase the car. Each customer is different but right now for me this is a real turn off and this may very welll be my last purchase from from a domestic car manufacturer. Going back to the dealer in hope that there is some adjustment to make this vibration/rattle less obvious. This will be my eighth visit to the garage ever since I purchased my 2013. (Transmission grinding noise, exhaust failure, front left wheel noise, back right suspension clunking, a damaged wheel by garage lift which the dealer denied, supercharger replacement, regular maintenance, and soon the key fab).
What was diagnosed for the suspension clunking noise?
Schmo Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:23 AM   #7
jdsblueray2013

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2ssrs Blue Ray
Send a message via Yahoo to jdsblueray2013
WTF! All that money! That would annoy the hell out of me!
jdsblueray2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:43 AM   #8
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
I had mine replaced and I knew from GM's statement of what to expect on the noise for our manual cars. I have no problem with this because it is after all a high performance muscle car and you will have more mechanical sounds. I love the increased performance of the new blower and the enhanced sound coming thru my c.a.i. intake.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:05 AM   #9
boondocksaint
Cartoon Maus

Drives: White ZL1, Chevroyota Prizolla
The solid coupler is a mod a lot of people have done and I don't remember reading any complaints from them.

I don't ever even see the skip shift indicator, so I'm not concerned on the low RPM stuff. When I'm touching the redline in 3rd, I'm on a track with the windows down and a helmet on.

But my original springy coupler has yet to ________ ________. I can't actually type it, because as soon as I do, it will.
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:15 AM   #10
Samson2029

The clunking noise in the rear suspension remain sun resolved. Nothing loose or broken. The suspension works perfectly. Was told to return if noise worsened. The clunking is an infrequent noise and happens only on certain types of road imperfections like going backwards out of an inclined parking or going up a hill and hitting the right type of road imperfection that is not to deep and not to small. The technician was unable to reproduce the noise on testing.

Concerning the New SC rattle my habit is to take off with minimal of RPM. So I am often in the 800 to 1000 rpm. Is my manual skills bad??
Old 07-19-2014, 02:05 PM   #11
CRTZL1
Banned

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
I have the new supercharger installed now for a month or so and I have noticed zero flutter or rattle ..
Mine is a manual as well..
CRTZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:32 PM   #12
Vroom

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Wow, deja vu. Can't seem to win with these eatons
Old 07-19-2014, 08:39 PM   #13
Jakeman

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Got letter too. Said they would replace or reimburse if you had to pay for a fix.

I haven't heard any rattle at this time, 8000 miles.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:35 PM   #14
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
I had mine replaced and I knew from GM's statement of what to expect on the noise for our manual cars. I have no problem with this because it is after all a high performance muscle car and you will have more mechanical sounds. I love the increased performance of the new blower and the enhanced sound coming thru my c.a.i. intake.
Did you leave the CAI on when you took it to the dealer for the SC?