Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-07-2017, 07:28 PM   #1
Autosenses

Drives: MK7GTI, 21 Traverse
Send a message via AIM to Autosenses
buying help

Hey guys need some input and help..i've been in the market and looking for the "right" 1le for a long time. I live in update NY so it can be tough. Adding to that challenge is my 1 year old son and wife- life is crazy, busy and fun and there is no time to travel long distances to find a Southern car.

Here is my dilemma; My local Dealer has a huge sports car inventory (new GP's, Z06's, and Zl1's). They just got a 13 1le 2ss-as you can see in the pics. However, when I walked around the car today (without salesman) i saw a few things that got my attention. Small fender dent in front right where it bends and its hard to see but its definitely bent and the inside wheel liner is off from it. Also, last owner put on some garbage axle back exhaust that is rusting badly. Also, i see rust on the right side of the LCA, tiny amount on the middle subframe above the diff (welded points). Some of the Chassis looks clean but my concern is if the car was driven in salty crappy weather. I a bit of a detail freak so something like this doesn't sit right with me. Am i going crazy?

What do you guys think? Anyone got similar pics of their underside?

Thanks and cheers!
Attached Images

Autosenses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:42 PM   #2
11z71

Drives: HBM 2017 2SS/RS A8
I can tell you I'm as anal as the come, that car looks pretty clean overall. The dent would bother me more than any of that rust in the pics. Any pics of the dent?
Old 07-07-2017, 07:58 PM   #3
Autosenses

No, not yet. If you zoom in, its right in front of the tire and starts to bend inward. In the point of the view of the photo- its right in line with the CTS rear diffuser. See it? Sorry, lol.

Is that underbody clean? I'm really anal. So much, if I get it, i'm probably detailing the underbody first. lol In life though, i'm not like that AT ALL!

thanks
Old 07-07-2017, 08:26 PM   #4
11z71

Drives: HBM 2017 2SS/RS A8
I can barely make the dent out but if it's just the fender, that should be a easy fix. The underbody is pretty clean. I wouldn't let the underbody stop you from buying it if you really like the car. 1LE's are fairly tough to come by, but in the end it's your money and you know better than anyone what you can deal with and what you can't.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:44 PM   #5
PapaKlutch

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/1LE
Checked the trunk RPO tag for 1LE and options?

You've got a CarFax style report from the dealer?

Are they offering any CPO or short term warranty?

Are they willing to have their body shop take care of the fender damage and warranty it?

Underbody, other than a terrible cat back, looks pretty good in the pics. Not tough to wash and detail the undercarriage on your own though.

If you prefer the 10-13 body style (front end/rear end), the 13 is the only 1LE of that 10-13 body style. It is also the rarest 5th gen 1LE model year as it was built in the fewest numbers of the 13-15 1LE's.

Good Luck!

Last edited by PapaKlutch; 07-07-2017 at 08:45 PM. Reason: typo
PapaKlutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:00 PM   #6
Autosenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZ28 View Post
Checked the trunk RPO tag for 1LE and options?

You've got a CarFax style report from the dealer?

Are they offering any CPO or short term warranty?

Are they willing to have their body shop take care of the fender damage and warranty it?

Underbody, other than a terrible cat back, looks pretty good in the pics. Not tough to wash and detail the undercarriage on your own though.

If you prefer the 10-13 body style (front end/rear end), the 13 is the only 1LE of that 10-13 body style. It is also the rarest 5th gen 1LE model year as it was built in the fewest numbers of the 13-15 1LE's.

Good Luck!
Yes, the car is a CPO as the salesman said its a 5600 mile car but I did not share any of my concerns about the exhaust or fender, as I was just looking at the car. The salesman said it got off the truck today and its going to be certified. It's a large dealer with a body shop, I'm sure they would fix it. I did not ask about the car fax, but like I said its a pretty good dealer and they will provide a carfax as they do with all their cars.

Once i get the car fax and I know it came from a none-weather and salty place, it may help make my decision.

Trunk tag? what does it look like? Does it have the 1le parts code? or does it say 1le?
Old 07-07-2017, 09:53 PM   #7
Autosenses

Could you guys take a pic of the rear underside like i posted?

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2017, 01:50 AM   #8
PapaKlutch

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1ce View Post
Yes, the car is a CPO as the salesman said its a 5600 mile car but I did not share any of my concerns about the exhaust or fender, as I was just looking at the car. The salesman said it got off the truck today and its going to be certified. It's a large dealer with a body shop, I'm sure they would fix it. I did not ask about the car fax, but like I said its a pretty good dealer and they will provide a carfax as they do with all their cars.

Once i get the car fax and I know it came from a none-weather and salty place, it may help make my decision.

Trunk tag? what does it look like? Does it have the 1le parts code? or does it say 1le?
Under the trunk mat.....left side. Yes, it does indeed say "1LE"...at least it does on a 5th gen!
Attached Images

Old 07-08-2017, 07:15 AM   #9
Autosenses

thanks for the instruction and the knowledge gained in this conversation!

Anyone got pics of their underbody for reference?

Also, i'm trying to get an idea of how much it will be to put this thing back to stock? What are the odds the dealer will work with me in returning back to stock?

Also, if there is an exhaust, i have to assume there is an intake and maybe a tune. I would obviously ask for a re-flash and complete service before i drive off with this thing.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:36 AM   #10
14ssrs6man

Drives: Summit White 2014 2SS/RS 6spd
To my eye, it looks like an alignment issue on the passenger front... Look at the tire wear. Could me alignment or damage, for what it's worth. Thanks
Old 07-08-2017, 07:37 AM   #11
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
The underbody is pretty clean. Stock suspension parts and still has the stock subframe bushings. I can't see any dent. Looks like a pretty clean car. More pictures would probably help
Old 07-08-2017, 08:05 AM   #12
Autosenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ssrs6man View Post
To my eye, it looks like an alignment issue on the passenger front... Look at the tire wear. Could me alignment or damage, for what it's worth. Thanks
good eye! I also noticed while looking at the car- seems all tires had wear, which is odd b/c it has 5600 miles.

How can i tell if there is damage on the front passenger suspension side? Obvious damage can be clearly seen? I'll take more pics of the front suspension.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:10 AM   #13
Autosenses

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
The underbody is pretty clean. Stock suspension parts and still has the stock subframe bushings. I can't see any dent. Looks like a pretty clean car. More pictures would probably help
Thanks for the input. Seems like im being insane about it but whatever, right

You have the same year/age of the car. Can you provide pics of the underside for reference? just like above and the rear subframe bushing mounts? I would appreciate it.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:40 AM   #14
CamaroDreams76
Tri-County Camaro SWFL

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1ce View Post
Thanks for the input. Seems like im being insane about it but whatever, right

You have the same year/age of the car. Can you provide pics of the underside for reference? just like above and the rear subframe bushing mounts? I would appreciate it.
Hope this helps
My car has 46k on it. Pfadt trailing arms, toe links, and solid subframe bushings. So it looks a little different than the picture you took. The last pictures is for the dent reference. It was taken about 4 months after buying the car.
Attached Images

Last edited by CamaroDreams76; 07-08-2017 at 10:54 AM.
CamaroDreams76 is online now   Reply With Quote