Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-16-2011, 09:55 AM   #15
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99, '12 2LS LFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post
Call your insurance company.

For now, Just have that stolen fob deactivated. Remove all personal contents from car. That way, that fob won't start the car and can't disarm it. And they can't steal your stuff if it's not there.

If they get a key in the door, and open it, the alarm will go off and they won't be able to shut it down. Nobody will care, but if they're small-time thieves, they'll run off because of the unwanted attention.
Pull the battery out of the trunk. Problem solved until you can get new locks and everything.
INTIMIDAT3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:59 AM   #16
RSokie
Proud owner of Litho #195

Drives: 2011 CGM 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTIMIDAT3R View Post
You need...

Yeah you can never go wrong with a trunk monkey!
RSokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:02 AM   #17
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
I'd check with insurance company. See if they will help out on the cost. a never know.
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #18
2012 ZL1

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Trunk Monkey is awesome ! I love it !
2012 ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:24 PM   #19
skraemer

Drives: 96 Silverado, 2011 2LT M6 RS IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post
Call your insurance company.

For now, Just have that stolen fob deactivated. Remove all personal contents from car. That way, that fob won't start the car and can't disarm it. And they can't steal your stuff if it's not there.

If they get a key in the door, and open it, the alarm will go off and they won't be able to shut it down. Nobody will care, but if they're small-time thieves, they'll run off because of the unwanted attention.

For now the car is across town at my parents house, so this wont be an issue. Got a rough quote from the dealer that it would be $400-500 plus whatever it costs for new key fobs.

I might look into a better alarm system on the car too or possibly lo-jack just in case it is stolen they can track it. Anyone have recommendations on car alarms? Dealer offered KARR at the time of purchase.
skraemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:27 PM   #20
irocnroll

Drives: '91 RS Vert, '11 Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
I think there are several options to consider. The safest if someone has stolen the keys - is new keys, and recoded cylinders, and reprogram the car for the new keys.

You could leave the key cut the same, just get new keys with the same cut but a new immobilizer code built into the new fob. The car then get's reprogrammed to the new immobilizer code in the fob, but the cut would stay the same. The old key would then turn in the door and ignition, but the BCM immobilizer feature would not allow a start.

I don't think you could do that with the old keys. The way I understand it for the immobilizer function - you reprogram the car, not the keys. So if you wanted a new immobilizer code to prevent a start, I believe you would need a new key fob, cut to the original key cut code but then program the car to the new fob immobilizer code. The problem there is the door key would still be the same cut, so someone could get in a door I think.

So I think it depends if you just want to prevent a start, or do you also want a new key cut to also prevent a door entry.
Gotcha
irocnroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:09 PM   #21
skraemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
I think there are several options to consider. The safest if someone has stolen the keys - is new keys, and recoded cylinders, and reprogram the car for the new keys.

You could leave the key cut the same, just get new keys with the same cut but a new immobilizer code built into the new fob. The car then get's reprogrammed to the new immobilizer code in the fob, but the cut would stay the same. The old key would then turn in the door and ignition, but the BCM immobilizer feature would not allow a start.

I don't think you could do that with the old keys. The way I understand it for the immobilizer function - you reprogram the car, not the keys. So if you wanted a new immobilizer code to prevent a start, I believe you would need a new key fob, cut to the original key cut code but then program the car to the new fob immobilizer code. The problem there is the door key would still be the same cut, so someone could get in a door I think.

So I think it depends if you just want to prevent a start, or do you also want a new key cut to also prevent a door entry.

Im thinking I should get a new key cut too so they cant open the door with the key that was stolen. Do the cylinders need to be replaced if that is the case? One dealer is seems that the cylinders need to be replaced, the other seems to think the cylinders can be programmed for a different key cut. Anyone here know what the truth is?
Old 02-16-2011, 03:18 PM   #22
R6P

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012 ZL1 View Post
The keys are $60 each.. And programming is like and hour labor, but the instructions I think are in the owners manual..

I bet you can just erase the computer and reprogram the car to any keys you have left plus any new ones you buy. then they won't be able to steal your car , just get into it.
Yes, this can be done. A GM dealer can reprogram the theft deterrent module, erasing all previously known keys and program any "new keys" you want to use.
As the above member stated, any old keys will open the door, but the alarm (horn) will sound, and they won't be able to start the car.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:00 PM   #23
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Quote:
Originally Posted by skraemer View Post
Im thinking I should get a new key cut too so they cant open the door with the key that was stolen. Do the cylinders need to be replaced if that is the case? One dealer is seems that the cylinders need to be replaced, the other seems to think the cylinders can be programmed for a different key cut. Anyone here know what the truth is?
If you go that route you have two changes needed to the car:

Reprogram the computer to recognize the new immobilizer code in the key fob.

And change the cut coding in the cylinders to the new cut on the key. The service manual shows how to recode a lock cylinder - both the door and the ignition. They have "tumblers" in the cylinder that are under springs. The tumblers can be taken out and rearranged to the new key code. I'm not sure if you can buy new tumblers. But what I think you could do is, rearrange the tumblers to a new cut code. Then buy a blank key and have it cut to that new cut code.

Ask the dealer to look in the service manual under "key coding" and it shows pictures of how the tumblers come out of the key cylinders. They should be able to take the key cylinders out of the ignition and door, change the tumbler order and then order a blank key to cut to that new cut code. Or if they don't have a key cutter, order one precut to that new cut.

Once the cut is right on the key and cylinder, then they would program the car to the new immobilizer code in the new fob.

It's confusing, best thing to do if there is questions is to go there in person and ask to look at the key coding pages in the service manual. It shows a good picture of the cylinder tumblers and easy instructions on how to change them.

The glove box also locks, so if you want that lock to work it would need to be re-coded to the new key cut also.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:16 PM   #24
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
I think these are the steps that I can figure out would be the best approach if you want new cut keys and new fob immobilizer codes.

- remove door, ignition, and glove box cylinders.
- obtain the current key codes, and use the service manual key coding instructions to observe how the current order of the tumblers is arranged to make up that code.
- move a couple of the tumblers to create a new cut code, write this new code down.
- Can the dealer cut this style of key - or do they have to order one precut?
Then either order a blank that they cut, or a precut key to the new code. There is a bulletin (09-00-89-029F) that tells how to order a precut key if they don't have the cutting equipment.
- Make sure the new cut keys work in the cylinders with the tumblers rearranged to the new code.
- Reinstall cylinders.
- Program car to the new immobilizer code in the new fobs.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:45 PM   #25
skraemer

So is removing the door panel and messing around in there a death sentence these days? I just remember doing it on my truck and it never exactly felt the same after that.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:50 PM   #26
LadyT_SS
Christina

Drives: Red Jewel Tint 1SS
dang skraemer! you are not having a lot of good luck with this car already! I hope your troubles end soon!
LadyT_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:04 PM   #27
Sneeks20
Account Suspended

Drives: your woman wild...
I'd say re-key. But thats just me.
Sneeks20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:25 PM   #28
patrickt

Drives: still saving!
If you go to the dealer they can clear all the transponder codes and reprogram to only the keys you still have. This will eliminate the need for new cylinders. They will still be able to unlock the door but thats about it. Problem is an agrevated crook may take his frustration out on your interior then
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote