Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Rockies / Midwest

Old 01-07-2012, 09:41 AM   #6385
Earl
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro
The clutch on the LS3 slips very easily and will smell bad immediately with any slippage. It takes a little time to learn how to launch this car.

Also sometimes on a hard high rev shift to 2nd it will lock you out of 2nd.

I would drive it a bit more and get a feel for the clutch before you take it back.
Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #6386
Hulk

Drives: 2011 Synenergy Green 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace1USMC View Post
Thanks for all the words of support, guys!

So I just picked up my Camaro tonight!!! It's a 2011 (used) Camaro 2SS, loaded with everything, 6spd Manual/LS3. It's only got 8,014 miles, and it still smells like a new car, and it looks and drives just like I anticipated - except for one big surprise...

I got on a lonely stretch of straight road, turn the traction and stability modes off, and wound up the motor and dumped the clutch...and the motor feels like it's slipping the clutch!! I can smell the burnt friction material, too. Should I be able to just FRY the tires?? I think the clutch is burnt, and needs a new clutch!! What do you guys think? I also did a full-throttle power shift to 2nd, and same thing, it feels like the clutch is slipping! This isn't normal, right? I should be able to just smoke the tires at will with the traction control off, right? Should I head right back to the dealership?

Sam
This is coming form a guy with an auto trans(fire at will my stick shift friends) but I think it sounds like you have a clutch problem. You might try the dealer ship and see what they say. If they are willing to fix it you might also talk to them and see if you pony up and buy an upgraded clutch if they will do the install under warranty.

We need to see a picture of the beauty you have.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:38 AM   #6387
wontsellit

Drives: IOM
Are you sure you had the traction and stability off,and also that you didn't put it in comp mode?
I press the traction button once and you'll see a yellow light come on.Then I press and hold the traction button down for about 7/10 seconds and the second yellow like comes on.That's when both are off.If you just hit the traction button 2x it will put you in comp mode.. So delay the second pressing of the button slightly and make sure you hold it down.
Having a clutch issue after only 8k would be unusual.I know I've abused mine and I'm still going strong @ 42k
wontsellit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #6388
wontsellit

What color?
Old 01-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #6389
Clint@A.I.R.
Account Suspended

Drives: 99' Camaro 404 TT
Quote:

So I just picked up my Camaro tonight!!! It's a 2011 (used) Camaro 2SS, loaded with everything, 6spd Manual/LS3. It's only got 8,014 miles, and it still smells like a new car, and it looks and drives just like I anticipated - except for one big surprise...

I got on a lonely stretch of straight road, turn the traction and stability modes off, and wound up the motor and dumped the clutch...and the motor feels like it's slipping the clutch!! I can smell the burnt friction material, too. Should I be able to just FRY the tires?? I think the clutch is burnt, and needs a new clutch!! What do you guys think? I also did a full-throttle power shift to 2nd, and same thing, it feels like the clutch is slipping! This isn't normal, right? I should be able to just smoke the tires at will with the traction control off, right? Should I head right back to the dealership?

Sam

Ur kidding me !

Yes should be able to fry the street tires. These clutches can handle quite a bit of power even when modded. Customer car ran a best of 11.8 at 118 a few months ago on a stock clutch. Did it show signs of slipping yes, but not like your describing. sounds like the clutch has been worn down a little, should be under warranty.

clint
Clint@A.I.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #6390
Ace1USMC

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wontsellit View Post
Are you sure you had the traction and stability off,and also that you didn't put it in comp mode?
I press the traction button once and you'll see a yellow light come on.Then I press and hold the traction button down for about 7/10 seconds and the second yellow like comes on.That's when both are off.If you just hit the traction button 2x it will put you in comp mode.. So delay the second pressing of the button slightly and make sure you hold it down.
Having a clutch issue after only 8k would be unusual.I know I've abused mine and I'm still going strong @ 42k
Yeah, I had both of them off (both lights on the dash came/were on). Dunno what could be happening, other than the clutch slipping badly. As Clint said, I should be able to fry the stock tires. Today, the tires broke loose on a 6,000 rpnm full throttle power shift - which is how I would think it should be.

I think I am gonna take it back to the dealership next week, before they try to finagle outta it or say it was my fault. It should hold strong enough to break the stock P-Zero's loose like nothing.

Thanks for all the advice, you guys. Man, I'm really impressed by the atmosphere in this forum.
Here's a picture of my car.

Sam
Attached Images

Ace1USMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:40 PM   #6391
pumpkinrancho
COMPULSIVE CAMARO OWNER

Drives: 18 ZLE,14 2ssrs,96,73 RS LT,69&67
welome

Quote:
Yeah, I had both of them off (both lights on the dash came/were on). Dunno what could be happening, other than the clutch slipping badly. As Clint said, I should be able to fry the stock tires. Today, the tires broke loose on a 6,000 rpnm full throttle power shift - which is how I would think it should be.

I think I am gonna take it back to the dealership next week, before they try to finagle outta it or say it was my fault. It should hold strong enough to break the stock P-Zero's loose like nothing.

Thanks for all the advice, you guys. Man, I'm really impressed by the atmosphere in this forum.

Sam
welcome
Sometimes there is a problem with the clutch pedal not coming all the way up and leaving the clutch disengaged a little. Bryan and Garth on here have installed a return spring on theres that holds the pedal up to prevent it from happening. It can give you the same symptoms.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #6392
walhan_qtr
..[ Z06-QTR ]..

Drives: '10 Camaro 2SS RS M6/ 07 C6 Z06
Send a message via MSN to walhan_qtr Send a message via Yahoo to walhan_qtr Send a message via Skype™ to walhan_qtr
Yes you def have a problem (unless the previous owner really suck at driving a manual car.)

my clutch lasted for a long time (35k miles.) and if you know me you will know how I drive my cars sometime. check my youtube channel and you will see. http://youtube.com/walhanQTR

also like Clint mentioned. a supercharged camaro putting 650whp lasted almost 19k miles on the stock clutch (supercharger was installed at around 10k miles) and have seen the track for a total of ~25 1/4mile runs (~13 with the supercharger) and it was still fine when we took it off (some slipping when doing 2-3 launches, but back to normal if we let it cool down)

just a quick advice, NEVER turn stability control off, only traction control (hit the button once). stability control does nothing in a straight line. it only kicks in if the car loses control (which might save your A$$ in case that happens)
- 10 Black Camaro LS3, 2SS/RS, H/C/I, bolt-ons, Spec. (470whp/450wtq).
- 07 Black Corvette C6(SOLD).
- 98 White/Red Corvette C5(SOLD).

Last edited by walhan_qtr; 01-07-2012 at 11:11 PM.
walhan_qtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #6393
Ace1USMC

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinrancho View Post
welcome
Sometimes there is a problem with the clutch pedal not coming all the way up and leaving the clutch disengaged a little. Bryan and Garth on here have installed a return spring on theres that holds the pedal up to prevent it from happening. It can give you the same symptoms.
OH MAN! That's EXACTLY what it felt like. Even when I shifted to 2nd, it felt like the pedal hadn't come up all the way, but I thought I must be imagining that! Starting a search on the clutch pedal return spring...

Thank you so much!!
Sam
Ace1USMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:34 PM   #6394
wontsellit

Quote:
OH MAN! That's EXACTLY what it felt like. Even when I shifted to 2nd, it felt like the pedal hadn't come up all the way, but I thought I must be imagining that! Starting a search on the clutch pedal return spring...

Thank you so much!!
Sam
You shouldn't need a return spring for a stock ls3. The guys that have then have alot of work done.

I've had that problem before at the track but it was because I was riding the clutch at a high rpm.

Bottom line is you should be able to do a burnout at even less than 6000 rpms without any issues. If it doesn't feel right take it back. Someone really had to be a sh***y driver to ruin a clutch at 8K miles.

If the dealer gives you a hard time tell us and we'll bring ours down to his lot and show him what it should look like.
Ok maybe I will weather doesn't bother me!
Old 01-07-2012, 11:18 PM   #6395
Brian@LGMAC

Drives: a slow 2010
Do you need a clutch return spring? maybe not. Will I ever own or build a car without one? No way, that and clean fluid is about the single best mod you can do to a stick car and your clutch will thank you. And yes your car should smoke the tires into 3rd stock, if your good with a clutch
Brian@LGMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #6396
AquaRSSS
AquaRob

Drives: ABM RS\SS; 69 427 Camaro; 1970 Z28
Ah...the clutch!

Quote:

Sam
Welcome to the Forum. Now for the bad news. The clutch was probably the reason why the previous owner traded the car in with that few a miles....I have considered it myself many a times. The clutches on these Camaros is terrible. Yes, there are a few exceptions out there but I have driven only 1 so far that felt right. On most, the clutch release is way too high, and plenty of people have return issues. There are plenty of aftermarket clutches available, and Tick Performance and Keisler are working on a solution to fix the junk hydraulics also...at least for those of us who believe there is a problem. Some think it's a driver issue. Anyway, best of luck to you at the dealer. I took my car to 5 different dealers before one of them reluctantly replaced the clutch (twice) and they generally won't put in aftermarket parts. It's still not right and it will all get replaced on my own dime later this year....just waiting on the hydraulics..and my return from AFG. It's still a better car than the Shrek-mirrored Challenger and the Disgustang so hopefully you will find a solution to your problem that'll keep you in the driver's seat.

Rob
Centerline, Weld, Holley, Nick Williams, GMPP, Diamond, ARP, Callies, Nelson Racing, Pro Torque, Strange, J&S Polishing, RMCR, AAC, MBRP, Flowmaster, FAST, Comp Cams, RX Performance, Aeroquip, Spectrum Powder-Coating, Current Performance, RX,TDub Racing, DSS, Fore Innovations, Aeroquip, Earl's, BMR, Ximpac, MPD,Street Scene, Blood, Sweat and Tears
AquaRSSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #6397
Blue70SS

Drives: 10 LS3 2SSRS IOM,21 ZLE Wild Cherry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian@LGMAC View Post
Do you need a clutch return spring? maybe not. Will I ever own or build a car without one? No way, that and clean fluid is about the single best mod you can do to a stick car and your clutch will thank you. And yes your car should smoke the tires into 3rd stock, if your good with a clutch
And add a separate reservoir for the clutch fluid.... you don't want clutch dust in the brake system. And then there's that special mod Brian does to the reservior......
Squash twins,GT9,Coil Covers,Mats,Pedals/ADM Gauges,Race Scoop/Trunions
DDS CVs,Carbon F DS/RPM L6/LPE 9.5 3.73/Pedders HD bushes,align kit
RB 2-piece rotors,S/S Lines,Hawk HPE Pads/Forgeline SP3P/Weld RTS
Ceramic ARH 2" LT/3" X-pipe,Corsa Touring/BMR TA,Toe,LCA,DS Loop
StreetSlayer BC3/MTI Shifter-Trans mt/Hotchkis CB/Monster CC/SJM LineLock
PFADT Coil Overs,Sways,Links,Mounts,SF Bushes,Camber Kit

LPE Brotherhood
Blue70SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:10 PM   #6398
Blue70SS

Drives: 10 LS3 2SSRS IOM,21 ZLE Wild Cherry
Quote:

Sam
Welcome and congrats on Camaro purchase..... hope to see you at upcoming events. You'll find lots of help between the members here, Camaro5 searches, and Camaro Club of the Rockies on Facebook for good chatter and events.

Winter months definitely slow down the forums..... but spring is just around the corner!
Squash twins,GT9,Coil Covers,Mats,Pedals/ADM Gauges,Race Scoop/Trunions
DDS CVs,Carbon F DS/RPM L6/LPE 9.5 3.73/Pedders HD bushes,align kit
RB 2-piece rotors,S/S Lines,Hawk HPE Pads/Forgeline SP3P/Weld RTS
Ceramic ARH 2" LT/3" X-pipe,Corsa Touring/BMR TA,Toe,LCA,DS Loop
StreetSlayer BC3/MTI Shifter-Trans mt/Hotchkis CB/Monster CC/SJM LineLock
PFADT Coil Overs,Sways,Links,Mounts,SF Bushes,Camber Kit

LPE Brotherhood
Blue70SS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012 callaway, 45th anniversary, colorado camaro