Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #15
dkp2LT

Drives: '11 2SS, '11 C6 GS, '04 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by INTIMIDAT3R View Post
We got over 10" of snow and ice yesterday and I must say that my 2012 Camaro 2LS is THE best car I've ever owned for driving in the snow and ice!!!

The stock 18" BF Goodrich All Weather Tires took everything Mother Nature had to give and shoved it back in her face.

THANK YOU GM and BF Goodrich!!!
This is one where I'll just have to trust you.

No way I'm going to try it.
dkp2LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #16
mr_honez
Wifey Lover

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart Line View Post
got cought in this storm.the car did very well.150 miles from home.

Eeek. That looks too damn cold, glad I live down here in Texas. Had my fill of cold when I was in Iceland, don't know how you folks can keep doing it year after year.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #17
rmpackers
Ride this Chevy

Drives: 2010 RJT RS Camaro
Kansasans are always big babies. I've been driving mine in the snow and ice for three years now. I drove to work today in nine inches with a lovely base of ice. Pirelli Ice/Snow and Zaino FTW!!!!!!!
Old 12-21-2012, 09:31 AM   #18
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlohaBR View Post
I have been telling people that for the last 2 years! Nobody believes me, lol.
Same here... working on my second full winter running my fifth gen though the snow and ice, and damn, that thing does well. In the snow and the ice, the biggest concerns for me are avoiding the Jeeps, the trucks, and the SUVs that just couldn't hack it and have gotten themselves stuck. With the use of traction control (sometimes on, sometimes off), decent tires, ABS, and a pretty solid dose of common sense/ experience, this Camaro outdoes many 4WD/ AWDs. (although... last week I saw a fifth gen, with CHAINS installed, planted nose- first in a snow bank... WTH?).
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #19
gramps_green_rs
ex-RCAF

Drives: 11 SGM1LTRS SV1000S
second winter for me also. Installed Pirelli Winter's two weeks ago. Looks like a white Christmas for me

merry xmas

gramps
Attached Images

Old 12-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #20
Texas_RS

Drives: 2013 1LE/SS
I'm in Texas and we rarely have snow. Always fun driving in it when we can, only in empty parking lots. Going to be in St.Louis from Jan. 1- Feb 28 for work, will I see a real winter snow there or will i just be freezing my a** off?
Texas_RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #21
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Glad it's working out for you all. Even more glad that mine will never see such horrible stuff. Spent 30yrs in Michigan and will be happy if i never see another flake of snow or piece of salt again in my life lol.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #22
bhall82
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 SS/RS
Empty parking lot, snow covered, nannies off= helluva good time
bhall82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:57 AM   #23
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
The goodrichs are terrible in the snow...

I would highly recommend only driving these cars in snow with snow tires. The stock pirellis will probably get you stuck and the goodrichs are only good on completely level grund. If you encounter a hill or any incline from a stop youre screwed.

I use Blizakks and Pirelli scorpions. I've seen 5 5th gens in my area in the time Ive owned my car stuck on the side of the road during snow storms.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:07 AM   #24
Micawber

Drives: '92 Chev K1500 + 2011 VR 2SS/RS LS3
I've got good snow tires on mine now, but I grew up driving lots of old rear wheel drive beaters on bad tires through canadian mountain winters. Our camaros are well balanced cars that not only have good rear traction but also handle evenly and smoothly when they do slide. With decent all season tires, a camaro is a good winter car. With snow tires, it's a great winter car!

For winter driving it could use a rear window wiper, but I'd hate to see them spoil the styling to add one so I'm happy with it the way it is.
Micawber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:13 AM   #25
C586
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Is it your first car?? There are way way better cars for bad weather. Hell my old Fiero was better in the snow than a 5th gen.
C586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #26
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhall82 View Post
Empty parking lot, snow covered, nannies off= helluva good time
Agreed, with enthusiasm! A couple of days ago, we got a surpise snowstorm, on top of roads with a sheen of ice. WOW! The perfect storm, especially considering that this is mountainous terrain, with some very steep roads. I was heading down a small, steep lane, when the full sized van in front of me lost it... he slid all the way to the bottom, hit a pole smack dab in the middle of the van's nose, and the tail of the van came to rest six feet in the air. I was already committed to the hill... couldn't back out. I spent the next three minutes sweating it, as I inched down, keeping one side's wheels on the rocky shoulder/ gutter, for traction. I did NOT want to ram into the exposed underbelly of the van! About halfway down the hill, all traction was lost, and I had to ride the ABS the rest of the way down, but, fortunately, steering was still minimally effective. Got to the bottom with no harm done (I checked the van's occupants for injuries (none) and continued on my way...).
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #27
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by C586 View Post
Is it your first car?? There are way way better cars for bad weather. Hell my old Fiero was better in the snow than a 5th gen.
Lol my dad's was too. Probably because they were 4 speeds or 3 speeds and had no horsepower. I love the cars btw, I'm going to get one as soon as I have a home and space for it.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #28
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99, '12 2LS LFX
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
The goodrichs are terrible in the snow...

I would highly recommend only driving these cars in snow with snow tires. The stock pirellis will probably get you stuck and the goodrichs are only good on completely level grund. If you encounter a hill or any incline from a stop youre screwed.

I use Blizakks and Pirelli scorpions. I've seen 5 5th gens in my area in the time Ive owned my car stuck on the side of the road during snow storms.
I happen to live on a hill and have NO PROBLEMS going up or down the hill, stopping and then backing into my driveway even though it's snow and ice covered. These BF Goodrich All Weathers work just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C586 View Post
I've owned more cars then you'll ever see, kid.
INTIMIDAT3R is offline   Reply With Quote