Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #15
ackeight

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS
Chevron/Shell 93 is the only thing that touches my car.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #16
87GNX

Drives: Alot
SHELL v POWA
87GNX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #17
BLACKssMiami

Drives: 2ssrs
What exactly is a fuse pull? And what does it do?
BLACKssMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:43 PM   #18
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC2013 View Post
you do realize that 'premium' doesn't mean better..right?

level of octain determines how fast the fuel burns...with higher compression engines youll need a slower burning fuel...faster burning fuel means bigger booms....so if in fact our engines don't require a slower burning fuel (premium) I would like to know...because if that's the case...we are losing power using the higher octain.
Then by all means go run 87oct in your car. After you do, come back and tell us if we are losing power by using 93.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #19
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKssMiami View Post
What exactly is a fuse pull? And what does it do?
If only someone would make a thread discussing the fuse pull.

I'll make it easy for you. Look in the bolt ons section. Pay close attention to the stickys.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #20
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyg36 View Post
Costco sucks. I put their premium in once because I was close by, and my car didn't run right for a week. Put shell 93 in, pulled the fuses, ran perfect. Maybe they changed their fuel and added more detergents, but as of 2 months ago, it sucks.
"Kmart sucks Ray"

Hey seriously, I think that some of the other brands have maybe caught up some, but when my brother worked for Chevron in '06-'07, Chevron was the only brand that had the additives in all three grades of gas and Shell was the only other one with the additives in premium. So I know Texaco with them merging and unmerging and remerging probably have it and BP has that invigorate or something,(but I kind of don't like BP because they dumped a bunch of oil all over my fav vacation spot).

Point is I've made it a habit of using Chevron first, and Shell as a back up, and always always always 93. I accidentally put 87 in my Harley one time, think knocked real bad til I could run through some gas and top it off with 93.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #21
Mchlgrrsn
Stroked and blown

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
If only someone would make a thread discussing the fuse pull.

I'll make it easy for you. Look in the bolt ons section. Pay close attention to the stickys.

LME 416 LS3 shortblock/Callies Compstar 4340 4"crank/Callies 6.125 H beams rods/Wiesco 4.07 forged pistons/Cam Motion custom LS1/LME ported heads /maggie TVS2300/I West 8rib 10%OD /3.2 pulley/OD cog drive/JRE tensioner/ID850 /ADM dual fuel/Kooks LT 1 7/8/magna flow2.5 /cat delete/Roto Fab CAI /MGW short throw /SPEC super twin clutch/G Force built trans,carbon syncro rear shaft upgrade /DSS 9"single CF DS /Strange 3.70/31 spline trutrac/MT DR's/earls oil cooler /tuned KHC
Mchlgrrsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #22
BDBiker

Drives: Black 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
BlackssMiami, go to post #4, it resets the computer to "high quality" fuel settings.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:22 PM   #23
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
you do realize that 'premium' doesn't mean better..right?

level of octain determines how fast the fuel burns...with higher compression engines youll need a slower burning fuel...faster burning fuel means bigger booms....so if in fact our engines don't require a slower burning fuel (premium) I would like to know...because if that's the case...we are losing power using the higher octain.
I just spit out milk through my nose because I laughed so hard.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:54 PM   #24
LMC2013

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by driyac View Post
I just spit out milk through my nose because I laughed so hard.
please enlighten me...

for the record...I'm not saying we should use 87 octain...I saw a spec that said premium wasn't required and wondered if anyone tried it.
LMC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:00 PM   #25
driyac

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Quote:
please enlighten me...

for the record...I'm not saying we should use 87 octain...I saw a spec that said premium wasn't required and wondered if anyone tried it.
Everyone has gotten "bad gas" - bad gas means mislabeled either on purpose or not. 87 wont hurt your engine but it will not allow our engines to perform to their highest capabilities from the factory.

- what octane means in laymans terms - he octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. When gas ignites by compression rather than because of the spark from the spark plug, it causes knocking in the engine. Knocking can damage an engine, so it is not something you want to have happening. Lower-octane gas (like "regular" 87-octane gasoline) can handle the least amount of compression before igniting.The compression ratio of your engine determines the octane rating of the gas you must use in the car. One way to increase the horsepower of an engine of a given displacement is to increase its compression ratio. So a "high-performance engine" has a higher compression ratio and requires higher-octane fuel. The advantage of a high compression ratio is that it gives your engine a higher horsepower rating for a given engine weight -- that is what makes the engine "high performance." The disadvantage is that the gasoline for your engine costs more.

-Therefore GM was preprogramed in the ability for the computer to "learn" and make adjustments to keep the longevity of these engines long.

Our engines and their cast piston's can quite literally destroy themselves at anytime with knock issues. not saying they would but saying they could. Say you were running a 93+ octane tune and got lower than 87 octane gas, there is a possibility the engine could blow.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:05 PM   #26
LMC2013

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Then by all means go run 87oct in your car. After you do, come back and tell us if we are losing power by using 93.
It was a simple question...if you put premium fuel in an engine that isn't designed for it than you actually lose performance and power...I saw a spec that said premium not required and was wondering what our engines ran best on.

most people think 'premium' is a better fuel because it costs more and don't actually understand what octane does...so when I saw 'not required' I wondered if anyone tried any other fuel...not sure why everyone gets so hostile
LMC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:09 PM   #27
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
go here:

http://www.toptiergas.com/

buy premium from one of the listed companies....

be happy.......dont worry
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #28
Rhyder

Drives: 2012 45 Anniversary Vert
Quote:
It was a simple question...if you put premium fuel in an engine that isn't designed for it than you actually lose performance and power...I saw a spec that said premium not required and was wondering what our engines ran best on.

most people think 'premium' is a better fuel because it costs more and don't actually understand what octane does...so when I saw 'not required' I wondered if anyone tried any other fuel...not sure why everyone gets so hostile
the premium not required has been a selling point for a few years....the higher end cars were built to require premium for awhile....like Mercedes, BMW etc.

They started programming them to accept 87 so people weren't having issues during times of gas shortages, money shortages, or just plain brain shortages etc.

they want you to run premium, the not required is simply stating you aren't going to screw up your system if you run lower......
Rhyder is offline   Reply With Quote