Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #99
Manbearpig
Engineer of softness-ware

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk_art View Post
You're missing the point.

For a new car, 30-40k is pretty average. When your dream car costs as much as your neighbors Honda Accord, don't expect everyone to place the same level of value on it as you do.

Now, if it were a 100k exotic- yes, I would be pretty dumbfounded that someone would pass off a statement like that.
Except this has nothing to do with price value.

My stepmother owns a little Toyota Corolla worth 2k. She's had that car for 10 years since her days in Medical School. She cherishes that car and would lose her shit if someone so much as scratched it, and she has. She worked for that car, paid it off, she has every right to feel that way, It's her car.

People don't have to place the same amount of value on anything I own, I could care less. They should however have the common sense to afford me the same respects for my property as they want for themselves. Placing your boot on someone's bumper is akin to wiping your face on someone's shirt at a restaurant. So what if the shirt is common, you're wearing it, you obviously like it and who the hell is this guy to wipe his face on your shirt?
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:04 PM   #100
dgriddick

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Everything on my car is mine.. put your foot there.. enough said... Some people do not respect what they dont have or can afford...
dgriddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #101
Mobyd

Drives: 2010 White 2SS/RS,01 F150 SuperCrew
at this car meet, bunch of guys stood by my Camaro week ago and one decide to lean at rear trunk i was just standing by they didnt know it is mine and the guy starts playing with rear bowtie emblem i felt like hes touching my soul lol i had to tell him that please do not lean on my car they act surprize like they would let others lean on theirs fart can hondas and lancers all the time for which i dont care
Old 12-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #102
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
boot on the bumper would have equaled an assk*cking.

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 08:44 PM   #103
Mobyd

Drives: 2010 White 2SS/RS,01 F150 SuperCrew
I grew up in a foreign country where you can sit or lean on other people vehicles.. i was sitting on this motorcycle talking to my friends who were standing by and my dad who was visiting from usa passing by he called me and asked whose motorcycle is that.. i said i dont know.. he told me strictly that do not touch or lean on other people property you are a grown up kid..i remember thaat since that and now i respect others property.
Old 12-20-2013, 08:52 PM   #104
tjk_art

Drives: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbearpig View Post

They should however have the common sense to afford me the same respects for my property as they want for themselves.
Yep, and the lower your car costs, the more people there are that have one around your value. So, if they lean on their own $30k car, they probably will not understand why you're bent out of shape that they leaned on yours as well. And thus, spout of phrases such as "it's just a car".
tjk_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #105
Egon

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbearpig View Post

My stepmother owns a little Toyota Corolla worth 2k. She's had that car for 10 years since her days in Medical School. She cherishes that car and would lose her shit if someone so much as scratched it, and she has. She worked for that car, paid it off, she has every right to feel that way, It's her car.

People don't have to place the same amount of value on anything I own, I could care less. They should however have the common sense to afford me the same respects for my property as they want for themselves. Placing your boot on someone's bumper is akin to wiping your face on someone's shirt at a restaurant. So what if the shirt is common, you're wearing it, you obviously like it and who the hell is this guy to wipe his face on your shirt?
I think you nailed it Manbearpig. I said earlier in this thread that it is just a car and I stand by that but it represents someone’s hard work and it is there property and we need to respect that. It represents time they spent, in some cases doing a shitty or dangerous job, time they spent away from their family or not doing something they would enjoy to earn the money to buy that car. I would also say that most of us here on Camaro5 are not independently wealthy and an investment of $25-55,000 represents a much more significant portion of their net worth than someone who has millions who spent $250k on some exotic sports car. If someone had to work 6 months to save up the money to buy what to us is a piece of shit beater but they need it to take their kids to school or go to work and earn money to provide for their family its worth a hell of a lot more to them than we may ever know. When it comes down to it we all have a limited amount of time here on this earth and disrespecting something that someone spent part of that limited time to earn is disrespecting that person directly, and it shouldn’t matter what monetary value we place on it, it belongs to someone and it has valuable to them.
Egon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #106
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
It would be just a foot in that persons a##,
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #107
colingordon
Her Name is Mila

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT A6, 2014 Camaro 1LS
Besides it being a nice car, you could have a beater car and still value it likes its a million dollar car. Even when something is not the nicest its the way you treat it, its still yours and if value everything you have nice or not you wouldn't want someone to ruin or hurt it.

Colin Gordon
Old 12-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #108
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjk_art View Post
You're missing the point.

For a new car, 30-40k is pretty average. When your dream car costs as much as your neighbors Honda Accord, don't expect everyone to place the same level of value on it as you do.

Now, if it were a 100k exotic- yes, I would be pretty dumbfounded that someone would pass off a statement like that.
I get the point very clearly, and I ask say again: so I could mess up your 30-40K, "average car", and you'd be cool with that- yes or no?

See it's easy to start putting dollar values on things and rationalizing, but when it's your "average 30-40K car" that's taking chong from the tong, things start changing.

I damn well do expect others to treat my things with respect.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:39 PM   #109
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
It's doesn't matter how much something is worth. I even give the junk ricers respect when I see them trying to mod their car on tight budget. I wouldn't lean on someone's car.... or hit it with a door..It all comes down to respect ..that's it. For people to say its just a car..well you would get the same response from me if you were sitting on my honda civic..or my ss. If you don't show respect you won't get it in return.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:47 PM   #110
Blue17CamaroZL1
650HP soon to come

Drives: 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Well I didn't have anyone lean on the car but for our family Thanksgiving this year, we went to my cousins house in the Corvette. However, they do not have adequate parking in their driveway (I wasn't informed they had moved and their previous house had parking behind the house). So as a result, I had to park the car on the street. With a line of cars already up against the curb, I could park at the front of the line, which was about 2 car lengths from the intersection, or the rear of the line which was right by the end of the shoulder.

So at first, I parked it at the front towards the intersection because that was close to where my dad's truck was, not knowing which house we had to go to. After I saw where the house was, I moved the car to the rear of the line.

Waiting outside on the porch was my drama queen of a cousin who was waiting for her daughter to show up with her kid. They showed up at the same time we moved the car to the rear so we all ended up walking in together. When my cousin asked me why I moved the car, I said I didn't want the expensive sitting that far away from the house, and her response was "who cares, it's just a car"

Blue17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #111
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Admittedly, I've never had anybody put their boot on my car, but I get the, "it's just a car" thing from people at work all the time. My Dad said it to me once, too. People just don't get it...
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:04 AM   #112
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr40oz View Post
Not always just with people that lease. My first Camaro I babied until I realized I don't intend on keeping it more than a couple years. So why protect it for the next buyer.

Don't get me wrong I really like the car and people get that emotion connection that makes them want pictures with it, but outside of a wash a week, it gets the garage and it's happy.

If this is someone's first Camaro I TOTALLY get your feelings though cause the 2017ish vette I get will be my garage queen, babied like no other.
I don't see the difference because your 10 and the future vette . Both in the the garage so..
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote