Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
GrinderSS
Account Suspended

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS
Exclamation Callies parts made in China

Wanted to warn everyone that the Callies Compstar products are made by the ChiComs. Having dealt first hand with Chinese manufacturing, I would not use these products in my engine.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
IPS Brandon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS black
Send a message via AIM to IPS Brandon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrinderSS View Post
Wanted to warn everyone that the Callies Compstar products are made by the ChiComs. Having dealt first hand with Chinese manufacturing, I would not use these products in my engine.
I am not sure your end game with this, but I believe it is widely known this is the case, and not hidden. Only certain cranks are produced here in Ohio, but this does not take away from their quality. I do not like Chinese parts just as much as the next guy, but so long as you demand a high quality part and use good material, the Chinese can make it pretty well, thats the cold hard truth.

Although I will say you may not choose to use the Compstar line up, the rods and cranks will hold 1000HP very well, we have clients engines using these parts holding up quite well, and many many many users out there for that matter.

What would do you more merit in my eyes is instead of saying "hey this is made in china, dont buy it" (because 90% of everything is made there) say "this is made and china and here is why I would not use nor recommened these products because they have x y z problems".

My .02

Regards
Old 03-23-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
Smoky10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPS Brandon View Post
I am not sure your end game with this, but I believe it is widely known this is the case, and not hidden. Only certain cranks are produced here in Ohio, but this does not take away from their quality. I do not like Chinese parts just as much as the next guy, but so long as you demand a high quality part and use good material, the Chinese can make it pretty well, thats the cold hard truth.

Although I will say you may not choose to use the Compstar line up, the rods and cranks will hold 1000HP very well, we have clients engines using these parts holding up quite well, and many many many users out there for that matter.

What would do you more merit in my eyes is instead of saying "hey this is made in china, dont buy it" (because 90% of everything is made there) say "this is made and china and here is why I would not use nor recommened these products because they have x y z problems".

My .02

Regards
I don't have a preference either way, which I guess is obvious since I am running OBX headers, but I have to say that you worded that statement very well.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:57 PM   #4
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Drives: 99 Camaro SS, 79 z28, 70 GTX
LMAO! There is nothing wrong with Callies and I've got info for you... Most American made products will be coming from there including some that are already there that no one knows about. The unions have made it impossible to compete.
We offer an all American engine.. Cost is almost double that of anything else and maybe 1% of the people who are into modding can afford it.

Callies is one of the most widely used component on the market and it doesn't break due to mfg or where it was made.

$3400 crank and $1800 rods = $5200 in just 2 components... Our Callies short is $5325. It's a matter of cost and application. The Callies is overkill already... The ultra expensive stuff is so much overkill it's incredulous... You don't need it unless you need it.. Pro race teams where every 1/1000th matters

In fact here is the cost comparison.. what I offer for $3875 would be $7290 if we used all American. We gladly build the all American motor, but there are very few who can afford it let alone justify the need and cost to themselves.

Last edited by CC Performance; 03-23-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #5
LC
ou mai gad

Drives: SW 2SS x2
This made in china crap is hilarious.

Callies make 5 types of crankshafts.

Compstar - which is made in china and budget priced
DragonSlayer / Magnum / Magnum XL / UB - which is forged and machined in USA.

Want to spend less than 1,000.00 in a crank, you will end up with a Chinese forging, no matter what brand.

Spend more and buy with "pride"...

And as Brandon said.. WTF with this thread?
Old 03-23-2011, 04:19 PM   #6
Slowhawk

Drives: 1999 Trans Am
The sad part is, so is alot of parts on your car from the factory.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #7
oachalon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
I work with the chinese everyday, and yes they can have quality issues. If i have a choice between an american part and a chinese part, i will almost always pay the extra and get an american part. As far as casting though, the chinese have been doing it long before the americans and they are actually pretty good at it. I was just in china in october for 3 weeks, and like everywhere, there are good factories, and some terrible ones.

As long as you have a good quality control plan and are consistently auditing the factory you can make a good part. From what i can see callies makes a good product.

Again i will always support the american workforce and try to purchase american products, but sometimes its not possible.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:58 PM   #8
nomadicdogg

Drives: '10 2SS/RS Cyber Grey Camaro (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPS Brandon View Post

My .02

Regards
heres a thought. Hey its made in china and its because people worry more about money than quality. see it could be made right here in Ohio if you werent worried about saving another 20 bucks which in the end you will spend anyways when their junk china steel fails! just sayin
Old 03-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #9
CC Performance
Account Suspended

The real reason some are in China from Ohio is due to its labor force sad to say. This is why I said earlier that more and more are moving to China and its some from Ohio. Its a tough pill to swallow but its all about labor costs and believe it or not quality. I know a few mfg's in China from Ohio, wont say who they are but I'm telling you what they said as to why they are there. They are big time always have been American mfg companies. GM was put under for a reason. Other MFG's are making moves to keep from being put under, the gov't isn't going to bail out the auto performance industry so they are doing what it takes to survive. Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger. I drive nothing but GM and all our CCP name brand products are made right here in good ole US of A
Old 03-23-2011, 06:41 PM   #10
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadicdogg View Post
heres a thought. Hey its made in china and its because people worry more about money than quality. see it could be made right here in Ohio if you werent worried about saving another 20 bucks which in the end you will spend anyways when their junk china steel fails! just sayin

I work internationally, and I admit, there are quality control issues... but they are EVERYWHERE...

It is arrogant to think that Made is the USA is the only way to a quality product...

It boils down to the individual doing the work, or in the case of forgings, the responsibility of the company to manage their product... If you think all american Workers are top notch, go and study some of the NTSB findings... OSHA findings... BOEHMRE... findings, or however it's spelled...

I have worked with International people for a long time, and some of them would stack up against our best, and some are as bad as or worst... They are representative of our cross section of society... and Arrogance such as this quoted thought, are one of the major reasons we are so hated...

This also isn't limited to us... I worked with a couple of Aussies, and they, at the time I met the second one, said to each other, yeah, he's American, but if you talk slow, he catches on... I laughed, and so did they... Don't even get me started on the Western Europeans... If Callies wishes to retain quality name, they will put in place the checks to maintain a quality product no matter where it's made... and in China, they can do it substantially less expensively, and thats our fault...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
Old 03-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #11
nomadicdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post

I work internationally, and I admit, there are quality control issues... but they are EVERYWHERE...

It is arrogant to think that Made is the USA is the only way to a quality product...

It boils down to the individual doing the work, or in the case of forgings, the responsibility of the company to manage their product... If you think all american Workers are top notch, go and study some of the NTSB findings... OSHA findings... BOEHMRE... findings, or however it's spelled...

I have worked with International people for a long time, and some of them would stack up against our best, and some are as bad as or worst... They are representative of our cross section of society... and Arrogance such as this quoted thought, are one of the major reasons we are so hated...

This also isn't limited to us... I worked with a couple of Aussies, and they, at the time I met the second one, said to each other, yeah, he's American, but if you talk slow, he catches on... I laughed, and so did they... Don't even get me started on the Western Europeans... If Callies wishes to retain quality name, they will put in place the checks to maintain a quality product no matter where it's made... and in China, they can do it substantially less expensively, and thats our fault...
quality doesent just come from USA, however China is not one of those places. I work in the Steel Tubing Industry. My company and our American counterparts meet strict quality standards not just for quality but for safety as our tubing is put to seriouse requirements of pressure and and similar uses.
The Chinease dumped pipe in private lab tests fail the same standards are American pipe and tube products have to meet. There quality is non existent. How am I to beleive they have better quality on other things? Talk to me about other industrialized nations such as Germany or Spain or Italy whos quality is there. The whole reason companies choose to go with china is for pure labor costs. Its tuff. Pay an American worker $15-$20 an hour or pay a chinease worker $15-$20 a week.
sure the savings are great, unless you look at the life of that poor guy working for pennies a day. Yet again, looking at the final price vs actual cost.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #12
nomadicdogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Performance View Post
The real reason some are in China from Ohio is due to its labor force sad to say. This is why I said earlier that more and more are moving to China and its some from Ohio. Its a tough pill to swallow but its all about labor costs and believe it or not quality. I know a few mfg's in China from Ohio, wont say who they are but I'm telling you what they said as to why they are there. They are big time always have been American mfg companies. GM was put under for a reason. Other MFG's are making moves to keep from being put under, the gov't isn't going to bail out the auto performance industry so they are doing what it takes to survive. Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger. I drive nothing but GM and all our CCP name brand products are made right here in good ole US of A
so its ok to not want to pay your worker a fair and resonable wage and have your company still make money, But its ok to close shop, move to china, pay someone a wage that isnt even humane and make millions?
hmmm. capitalism at its best?
I do my part. I drive GM, I buy american when I can.
for example. My stove. Made in America, yea, it was $75 more than the same model made in Mexico, but for $75 Ill support an american worker. its a choice. and if we all chose to do that a little more often, maybe the comapanies would get the hint.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:01 PM   #13
CC Performance
Account Suspended

Define fair and reasonable wage and what should be expected for production and attendance. What I am told is that in China the workers take pride in what they are doing, want to work hard are 15 minutes early at the latest.

I'm not saying that there aren't good American workers. My dad set a record at USM for attendance but those guys seem to be long gone. Workers now seem to have a sense of entitlement now.

Again don't shoot the messenger I'm telling you what a few of those big American companies are saying.

from my own experience I hired a so machinist to make a few things that I make myself. Takes me 4 hrs and maybe .50% waste... I hire a worker... machinist.. takes him 12 hrs and he isn't finished and has 33% waste when I tell him I know longer need him.

He was supposed to be paid $50/hr for 4 hrs.. we make 12 kits at a time and his labor will be paid for in 2 kits and the materials in 2 kits and so I still can make money and pay the bills... BUT his labor cost is not 4 hr's its 12 hrs and he isn't finished.....
You tell me ?

I'm not saying that all American workers are slugs but it seems that there is a fair amount of waste collecting a paycheck and putting companies under the table.
I buy American, always have. But I see what the issue is, I'm not blind.

At one point in time workers like in the textile mills and coal mines needed protection and laws and safety came about due to unions. But now it seems all they do is bury a company with demands and unfair labor costs.

GM is a prime example.

Labor and management isnt anything new and neither is this arguement. I wish it was all made right here and people bought American auto not all the different flavors of foreign cars we have on our roads ... I've done my part and will continue to do so.

I'm just trying to explain why it is.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #14
bob vogel

Drives: 2010 rs ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Performance View Post
LMAO! There is nothing wrong with Callies and I've got info for you... Most American made products will be coming from there including some that are already there that no one knows about. The unions have made it impossible to compete.
We offer an all American engine.. Cost is almost double that of anything else and maybe 1% of the people who are into modding can afford it.

Callies is one of the most widely used component on the market and it doesn't break due to mfg or where it was made.

$3400 crank and $1800 rods = $5200 in just 2 components... Our Callies short is $5325. It's a matter of cost and application. The Callies is overkill already... The ultra expensive stuff is so much overkill it's incredulous... You don't need it unless you need it.. Pro race teams where every 1/1000th matters

In fact here is the cost comparison.. what I offer for $3875 would be $7290 if we used all American. We gladly build the all American motor, but there are very few who can afford it let alone justify the need and cost to themselves.
ok i'll ask? what does $3875 get you ? thanks

Closed Thread