Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-21-2020, 02:23 AM   #1
8driann

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary
Post lifter preload

Hello, I am going to be installing some new rocker arms and pushrods (all stock engine) but I keep hearing things like preload or some sort of sequence. I am a little mechanically inclined and I took my engine part but this is my first LS and I was wondering if anyone could give me details on how to install them or explain what preload is and how do I go about it? Or maybe someone has a helpful video link they could share with me?
8driann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 05:50 AM   #2
Clarkstar

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Why would you change either of those parts on your engine?
2013 1le- Katech 416 short block, TSP custom grind cam, LOD intake, cnc heads by F.ED., Nick William's 102mm T.B., CORN fed, Pedders coilovers. Performance street alingnment by Justin at Lake Country Alignment and dyno tune by Late Model Throttle.

603 h.p. 495 ft lbs tq.
Clarkstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 07:26 PM   #3
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Watch this if using stock style LS7 lifters. Aftermarket lifters may require a different preload than stock.
Edit: If you are installing an other than stock ratio rocker arm (1.70:1) then there are other steps that should be taken which aren't explained in that video, ie. checking valve tip sweep pattern.

2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI

Last edited by InFiD3ViL; 08-21-2020 at 07:56 PM.
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:30 AM   #4
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
You would be looking for the " golden Zone" for stock lifters on a stock ls engine its .045 to .060 max . LS7 are .070 with different rocker ratio and rev limit. The more preload the more typewriter noise but also better for accidental over revs if a manual as it better controls the top end... Just some thoughts form a old timer... Good Luck, that and some bushings on the rockers is golden...
Old 08-23-2020, 09:52 AM   #5
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Completely stock engine? Why are you replacing the pushrods and rockers? Unless something is broke, there shouldnt be a need. As far as preload, using stock pushrods wlll set your preload provided you have the stock cam, stock lifters and stock rockers. Rockers are torqued to 22ft lbs. Preload is set with pushrod length. If you change the cam, you will need to measure for new pushrods and calculate preload. Comp has a tool to measure this.

Base circle
https://youtu.be/RxGTmlQvzrU

Comp tool
https://youtu.be/hvBEjeKqktM

This should help give a basic understanding even though it's for the LSA engine

Last edited by FasNuf; 08-23-2020 at 10:09 AM.
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:06 AM   #6
wasthatacop?

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8driann View Post
Hello, I am going to be installing some new rocker arms and pushrods (all stock engine) but I keep hearing things like preload or some sort of sequence. I am a little mechanically inclined and I took my engine part but this is my first LS and I was wondering if anyone could give me details on how to install them or explain what preload is and how do I go about it? Or maybe someone has a helpful video link they could share with me?
This is a rare upgrade. Was there a problem? If not, typically these items are replaced for a camshaft change. Lifters require removing the heads, which is digging pretty deep into the engine.
ZL1 factory rims
misc: drilled and slotted rotors, fresh air brake cooling system, new speakers, installed reverse camera, muffler delete
wasthatacop? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:16 PM   #7
8driann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkstar View Post
Why would you change either of those parts on your engine?
I had ticking in my engine even after lifters and stock cam (they were very worn and had pits in them as well as flat spots). So I inspected the pushrods and they were bent so I picked up some new ones and the rocker arms had uneven wearing on some so I picked up some new ones too.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:18 PM   #8
8driann

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasNuf View Post
Completely stock engine? Why are you replacing the pushrods and rockers? Unless something is broke, there shouldnt be a need. As far as preload, using stock pushrods wlll set your preload provided you have the stock cam, stock lifters and stock rockers. Rockers are torqued to 22ft lbs. Preload is set with pushrod length. If you change the cam, you will need to measure for new pushrods and calculate preload. Comp has a tool to measure this.

Base circle
https://youtu.be/RxGTmlQvzrU

Comp tool
https://youtu.be/hvBEjeKqktM

This should help give a basic understanding even though it's for the LSA engine
oh ok, I understand. I was switching them out because I had ticking going on, and even after cam and lifter replacement (they were both very worn down with pits and flatspots on some lobes and lifters), I still had the noise. So I inspected my pushrods on about two were a little bent, and some rocker arms had uneven wearing, so I decided to replace them.
Old 08-23-2020, 10:19 PM   #9
8driann

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasthatacop? View Post
This is a rare upgrade. Was there a problem? If not, typically these items are replaced for a camshaft change. Lifters require removing the heads, which is digging pretty deep into the engine.
Im tired of typing lol, you can see the replies to others on why I was doing this upgrade.
Old 08-23-2020, 11:53 PM   #10
FasNuf

Drives: 2014 Camaro ZL1
Sounds like your on top of it maintenance wise. Sounds like you dodged a bullet with thd pitting being on the parts. What mileage on the engine?
FasNuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:00 AM   #11
Greenhornet2

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS LS3 Whipple
There is a push rod length tool pretty cheap for checking what length you need. If you are replacing the rockers with factory rockers you should consider upgrading them with a CHE bushing trunnion upgrade, or BTR V2 trunnion kit. If staying with stock parts you won't need to check the length just torque the rockers down as mentioned above.
Whipple 2.9 CAI ID1050x injectors ZL1 Pump JRE FPCM JMS Voltage booster JRE Rough Idle blower cam BTR .660 springs CHE trunnion kit 1 7/8 Speed Engineering Borla Atak JRE scoop 1.5" lowering springs BMR trailing arms and toe links Cradle inserts 704WHP 603WTQ 93 octane
Greenhornet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 12:43 AM   #12
8driann

Quote:
Originally Posted by FasNuf View Post
Sounds like your on top of it maintenance wise. Sounds like you dodged a bullet with thd pitting being on the parts. What mileage on the engine?
about to hit 127,000
Old 08-25-2020, 12:44 AM   #13
8driann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
There is a push rod length tool pretty cheap for checking what length you need. If you are replacing the rockers with factory rockers you should consider upgrading them with a CHE bushing trunnion upgrade, or BTR V2 trunnion kit. If staying with stock parts you won't need to check the length just torque the rockers down as mentioned above.
did that. Will take it to a tuner soon and I guess I can only hope that it is a header leak or just the "normal" header noise.
Old 08-25-2020, 08:38 AM   #14
8driann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhornet2 View Post
So I would always hear "trunnion upgrade" but i never knew what that was. After further research, I noticed that the new rocker arms come with an upgraded trunnion kit. I got them from autozone and the brand is melling.

Tags
arm, lifter, ls3, preload, rocker