Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 11-11-2009, 06:44 PM   #43
Mythic

Drives: '03 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
We will do that over the phone.

Questions to be asked are:
1. size of wheels and tires all 4 corners
2. Your driving habits, how will you drive your beast
3. How aggressive setup[ would you want? agressive street, autocross, road race, canyon driving
4. How sensitive are you 2 tire life.

thanks
mike
dms
1) 275 (or 285) 20s
2) periods of agressive with dashes of "why yes my life insurance is paid in full"
3) turn on a dime and get $.09 back
4) I'm pretty sure they'll make more
Mythic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 06:56 PM   #44
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythic View Post
1) 275 (or 285) 20s
2) periods of agressive with dashes of "why yes my life insurance is paid in full"
3) turn on a dime and get $.09 back
4) I'm pretty sure they'll make more
Heck,

we can do that!!

mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:02 PM   #45
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 View Post
Cool story is that the Fairlane use to be mine too.. I build it when I worked at PHR.

My '68 is only 6300 without driver.. the DSE and Jackass cars are most likely in the 6500 to 6600 range sans driver due to having AC and in the case of Jackass a blower and such.

I imagine Pedders Camaro has to be near 4,000 lbs.. so getting those laps times is no small feat.
I had all my travel arrangements already done, and was already gone from home for 2 weeks. then the Optima popped up, and never being there before, did not really know what to expect. So I decided to fly home. I slept for 10 hours on Sunday!! So I got info from people that were there. It sounded to be SERIOUSLY exciting! Now I wish that I did go!

there were really awesome rides there, with great craftsmanship thruout.

Pete was initially going to drive, but once we found out the there were multiple pro drivers, that were potentially fudging the rules, we called on our friend and advisor to take a drive for us and see if his advise and console was working. I am still not sure if the data on the lap times and such got sent out.

But a fun time for all to say the least!

mike
dms
Old 11-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #46
Steve1968LS2

Drives: 1968 LS2 powered - Bad Penny
Quote:
I had all my travel arrangements already done, and was already gone from home for 2 weeks. then the Optima popped up, and never being there before, did not really know what to expect. So I decided to fly home. I slept for 10 hours on Sunday!! So I got info from people that were there. It sounded to be SERIOUSLY exciting! Now I wish that I did go!

there were really awesome rides there, with great craftsmanship thruout.

Pete was initially going to drive, but once we found out the there were multiple pro drivers, that were potentially fudging the rules, we called on our friend and advisor to take a drive for us and see if his advise and console was working. I am still not sure if the data on the lap times and such got sent out.

But a fun time for all to say the least!

mike
dms
Well Stielow is a pro, but he built the yellow '69... I agree about the driver of the Cobra, but I don't know the whole story.. Ryan works for DSE and was within the rules. David Pozzi is the guy that built my suspension. The point made was that you need a good driver to show off a good car.

In any event it was a great time.. you need to be there next time.

Just for the record though.. nobody was on "shaved tires".. sorry, just a pet peeve of mine

1968 Camaro - 461 RHS LS 700hp, various stuff, called Bad Penny
1968 Camaro - In progress, called Track Rat
2010 Camaro - DSE Suspension, Baer 6S Brakes, Boze Wheels, Nitto NT05 Tires, JBA Exhaust and long tubes, Magnacharger TVS, 660rwhp Forged Eagle 416 LS3 short block, ADM fuel system, Lingenfelter GT-9 cam, G-Force axles, Anvil and Seibon CF parts, Centerforce Dual-Disc Clutch

www.fquick.com/steve1968ls2
Steve1968LS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:26 PM   #47
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
So is Tanner Faust....
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 07:26 PM   #48
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Quote:
Well Stielow is a pro, but he built the yellow '69... I agree about the driver of the Cobra, but I don't know the whole story.. Ryan works for DSE and was within the rules. David Pozzi is the guy that built my suspension. The point made was that you need a good driver to show off a good car.

Just for the record though.. nobody was on "shaved tires".. sorry, just a pet peeve of mine
Well by pure definition, Paul is in fact a consultant and on the Pedders Payroll. But we were a guest, and wanted no hassles or to show disrespect for this great event, so we volunteered for the to show off only. I would assume no one would be crazy enough to deny Paul's talent. But there were pro drivers out there, who owned and campaigned their rides which is all fine and dandy. We are OK with it. We are just proud and happy to be able to show the world what our Pedders Camaro can do. You were there, and you could see the lines the Camaro could run, and how much control she had thru all driving conditions. For that, we are happy.

It truly is not totally equal in all events. Look at, for example the 0-60-0 event. How can we compete with a 1800lb cobra running 1000 plus hp, monster tires and brakes? We cannot.

So the bottom line is the honor to be present, participate, meet lots of cool car owners and companies, and share respect for the massive amount of craftsmanship, and love of the car biz, and competitive spirit.
for all of this, we are truly thankful

mike
dms
Old 11-11-2009, 07:42 PM   #49
That Guy

Drives: Better than yours
Quote:

Some people just don't know how to read rules! They also must think Camaro's were never produces before the 2010 model. LOL

11) Participants must use DOT approved tires. Tires will be required to pass a technical inspection at the track. The spirit of the event requires the use of a DOT approved “street” tire – no modifications to tires will be acceptable, including shaving. Any vehicle with tires showing any evidence of modification will be immediately disqualified from the event. DOT approved “R” compound tires are acceptable, examples include BFGoodrich R1’s etc.
No drag radials will be allowed[/COLOR].
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:12 PM   #50
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
Some people just don't know how to read rules! They also must think Camaro's were never produces before the 2010 model. LOL

11) Participants must use DOT approved tires. Tires will be required to pass a technical inspection at the track. The spirit of the event requires the use of a DOT approved “street” tire – no modifications to tires will be acceptable, including shaving. Any vehicle with tires showing any evidence of modification will be immediately disqualified from the event. DOT approved “R” compound tires are acceptable, examples include BFGoodrich R1’s etc.
Guys,

Last I checked, every racer pushes the rules to the limit or they are not racers. What we brought to the track is a daily driver in our house. My wife takes the kids to school in it. I drive it for work -- yeah I know I have a tough job. My point is that D.O.T. "R" compound tires are not suited for daily driver use. That casts the Ultimate Street Car concept into a vague area. Street cars don't get trailered to the track. They get driven. That is nothing but my opinion. The rules are posted and clear. The group at the track followed the rules.

I think the Optima Challenge is a terrific event. I plan to be there next year with Paul, a Camaro and a Mustang. Mr. Day tells me we are welcome. My goal is to drive to the track and drive home with the FTD on the road course in EXHIBITION class. (Maybe Bruce will have a flat on the way to the track?) I do not feel that companies should compete with individuals for the same reasons as posted about the tires. It puts the event into a vague area. The focus is on the the Challenge racers with the companies in EXHIBITION providing name recognition to promote the event.

Bruce brought a nuclear weapon to the event. The car was nothing short of AMAZING in the three performance events. In fact, I loved every car and every one I met involved with a car in the Challenge was first class. It was a great day.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:06 AM   #51
Steve1968LS2

Quote:
Well by pure definition, Paul is in fact a consultant and on the Pedders Payroll. But we were a guest, and wanted no hassles or to show disrespect for this great event, so we volunteered for the to show off only. I would assume no one would be crazy enough to deny Paul's talent. But there were pro drivers out there, who owned and campaigned their rides which is all fine and dandy. We are OK with it. We are just proud and happy to be able to show the world what our Pedders Camaro can do. You were there, and you could see the lines the Camaro could run, and how much control she had thru all driving conditions. For that, we are happy.

It truly is not totally equal in all events. Look at, for example the 0-60-0 event. How can we compete with a 1800lb cobra running 1000 plus hp, monster tires and brakes? We cannot.

So the bottom line is the honor to be present, participate, meet lots of cool car owners and companies, and share respect for the massive amount of craftsmanship, and love of the car biz, and competitive spirit.
for all of this, we are truly thankful

mike
dms
I think the term "builder" implies building and the term "owner" implies ownership.. lol.. There's no doubt they need to firm up thier rules a bit for next year.

Hey, your Camaro could throwdown hard.. that thing flat boggied around the track and looked great. I think your pro was more pro that the other pros.. lol

It was a great day and it was a blast watching all the cars compete.

2010 Camaro - DSE Suspension, Baer 6S Brakes, Boze Wheels, Nitto NT05 Tires, JBA Exhaust and long tubes, Magnacharger TVS, 660rwhp Forged Eagle 416 LS3 short block, ADM fuel system, Lingenfelter GT-9 cam, G-Force axles, Anvil and Seibon CF parts, Centerforce Dual-Disc Clutch

Old 11-12-2009, 11:09 AM   #52
Steve1968LS2

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post

That was my point.. there were no "shaved tires".. just approved tires for the event. If someone comes on harder tires than what's allowed they really can't complain that others were on better tires since they could have ran those tires as well.

Next year I hope they move back to some sort of REAL street tire.. either 100 or 200 treadwear.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #53
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Quote:
That was my point.. there were no "shaved tires".. just approved tires for the event. If someone comes on harder tires than what's allowed they really can't complain that others were on better tires since they could have ran those tires as well.

Next year I hope they move back to some sort of REAL street tire.. either 100 or 200 treadwear.
It is within the rules obviously to use the R compound tires that are Dot rated. But when you go to the tire web sites, they say not to be driven on the street. So you can comply and defy at the same time. I think the great spirit of this killer event is focused around street vehicles. I think, therefore to be more appropriate, they should be street performance tires that are not R compounds. The Pedders Camaro had performance street tires only. Adding the R compounds would increase g forces thru the corners from the 1.4g to the 1.7g area plus good for 2-3 seconds lap time reductions.

But this may eliminate excuses. We brought our Pedders Camaro in full force setup. That is what SEMA is all about. Yet it is commented on the level of our setup. Then being selected, Pete has never done actual track time. Finding out who will be there and who will be driving, Pete would be seriously outclassed. So since we have the relationship with Paul, we called him. So we are commented on that as well. If you bring a car to SEMA and it is not just a garage queen show car, it should have the best that you have to offer. We also proved that our ideas of wheel fitment, size, etc, which diverted quite significantly from our competitors, in fact worked and worked extremely well.

But a great event, and lots of fun, great memories, and great friends made.

mike
dms
Old 11-12-2009, 01:24 PM   #54
JusticePete

Quote:
Spot on!
Old 11-12-2009, 01:25 PM   #55
JusticePete

Quote:
It is within the rules obviously to use the R compound tires that are Dot rated. But when you go to the tire web sites, they say not to be driven on the street. So you can comply and defy at the same time. I think the great spirit of this killer event is focused around street vehicles. I think, therefore to be more appropriate, they should be street performance tires that are not R compounds. The Pedders Camaro had performance street tires only. Adding the R compounds would increase g forces thru the corners from the 1.4g to the 1.7g area plus good for 2-3 seconds lap time reductions.

But this may eliminate excuses. We brought our Pedders Camaro in full force setup. That is what SEMA is all about. Yet it is commented on the level of our setup. Then being selected, Pete has never done actual track time. Finding out who will be there and who will be driving, Pete would be seriously outclassed. So since we have the relationship with Paul, we called him. So we are commented on that as well. If you bring a car to SEMA and it is not just a garage queen show car, it should have the best that you have to offer. We also proved that our ideas of wheel fitment, size, etc, which diverted quite significantly from our competitors, in fact worked and worked extremely well.

But a great event, and lots of fun, great memories, and great friends made.

mike
dms
I have never been outclassed, though I have been out driven
Old 11-12-2009, 01:27 PM   #56
JusticePete

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc5-s View Post
any interior pictures?
Yep...