Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 02-20-2015, 06:54 AM   #15
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Take an air compressor and drop tire pressure to 24-26 psi. Play with your rpm's from 1500-2500 and get aggressive with the clutch. You can get 1.6x on the 20" p-zeros once you get used to what the clutch likes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2015, 12:00 AM   #16
camarosspower

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Well I went tonight. I dropped tire psi to 22. My best was a 12.6@114 with a 2.0 60ft
camarosspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:17 AM   #17
j.curt

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
That broke the 12.7. Good job. How many runs did you do and what was your average? Does dropping the tire psi make that big of difference? What mods do you have on the car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by camarosspower View Post
Well I went tonight. I dropped tire psi to 22. My best was a 12.6@114 with a 2.0 60ft
j.curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 12:45 AM   #18
j.curt

Can you explain the 2 step. I looked at the newbs sticky and couldn't find it there. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongooseboy000 View Post
I have same mods minus ported TB. my best time has been a 12.9 @113. cut a 1.9 60' but it was pretty hot out.Basically our cars are a Pain too launch best way is seat time. Especially us M6 guys. air the tires down to 24 psi and work your way down until you get a decent launch. for me it's 22psi. we have very low fluid pressure so our cars don't like slipping the clutch, it sticks to ground, however thats the best way to do it. don't launch at anything over 2.8k or your clutch will stick immediately. Go around the water box and back in until the rear of your back tires barely touch the water. you want to clean them off so a quick burnout 5 seconds tops and let it go. Pull up to the 1st set of lights. (tricky part now) either get a 2 step or watch your rpms. bring them up to 2.2-2.5k. inch forward to next set of lights, however press the clutch just to the point before it starts to grab. so maybe 3/4 7/8 the way down. after the tree drops on last yellow release majority of clutch but leave about 25% engage. you will feel the car leap forward with little wheelspin. once it hooks let the rest go and roll into the throttle. don't shift to high on the 1-2 because the 2nd gear spin slows you down. maybe 6.2k. 2-3 and on shift however you want. I learned most of this from the ranger acceleration techniques. with practice you get better. Lastly, don't race the next guy, always tell your self you are racing yourself if not you will miss gears lol.

[IMG][/IMG]

also look at trailing arms and toe rods. need to adress our wheelhop issue 1st. cheap and inexpensive mods that do a ton for our suspension.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:13 AM   #19
camarosspower

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.curt View Post
That broke the 12.7. Good job. How many runs did you do and what was your average? Does dropping the tire psi make that big of difference? What mods do you have on the car?
Mine is a ls3 m6. I have Lt headers, intake with scoop, bo's ported tb, 3.91's with true trac, trailing arms 1" lowering springs. I think that's it. Its on a mail order tune. Yes tire pressure helps a lot. Back then I couldn't get traction at all even when I was stock, I lowered the psi to 22 and it felt like I swapped tires for dr's
camarosspower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:54 PM   #20
D3R3K
Sittin side ways

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
Are you doing a big burn out? The pirelli pzero need just a slight hazing of the tires. Clutch slip and loading the suspension slighlty with the ebrake. Check my '60 foot time on the leader board for stock tires and m6. On of the best ever
Old 02-22-2015, 12:17 AM   #21
j.curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3R3K View Post
Are you doing a big burn out? The pirelli pzero need just a slight hazing of the tires. Clutch slip and loading the suspension slighlty with the ebrake. Check my '60 foot time on the leader board for stock tires and m6. On of the best ever

I tried a couple times without doing a burnout at all which happened to be my best times and then I also tried doing a very small burnout but not going into the water box. I did not try the ebrake.

My next time out I am going to go on the third yellow like people have been saying and going to play with different tire psi. If I find out what the 2 step is, I will try that as well.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:22 AM   #22
2010SSRSM6

Quote:
I tried a couple times without doing a burnout at all which happened to be my best times and then I also tried doing a very small burnout but not going into the water box. I did not try the ebrake.

My next time out I am going to go on the third yellow like people have been saying and going to play with different tire psi. If I find out what the 2 step is, I will try that as well.

Two step allows you to mash the gas but your RPMs don't go over what you set it at until you get to a preset speed, then it is out of the system and your car revs like normal. I'm adding one shortly because it takes the pressure off you to keep your RPMs stable and exactly where you want them.

Be careful going too low on tire pressure or your tire will spin on the rim. Put window chalk on your rim and tire and if the mark moves, you've gone too low.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:18 PM   #23
j.curt

Thanks. My plan is to get tuned the weekend before I go down to race and then I will start at 30 PSI and slowly go down from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
Two step allows you to mash the gas but your RPMs don't go over what you set it at until you get to a preset speed, then it is out of the system and your car revs like normal. I'm adding one shortly because it takes the pressure off you to keep your RPMs stable and exactly where you want them.

Be careful going too low on tire pressure or your tire will spin on the rim. Put window chalk on your rim and tire and if the mark moves, you've gone too low.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:20 AM   #24
2010SSRSM6

Quote:
Thanks. My plan is to get tuned the weekend before I go down to race and then I will start at 30 PSI and slowly go down from there.

30 is a bit high. I'd start at 28 and do a quick spin to clean them off, not a burnout.

Old 02-25-2015, 04:59 PM   #25
blufin

Drives: Fire Engine
I ran my Pirelli's between 30-32 with great success. Street tires are made to perform their best at the recommended psi. Start lowering them too much and they begin "cupping". I'm thinking your problem is technique, not improper tire pressure.
Just my $.02, but what do I know?
Sold
blufin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 06:34 AM   #26
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by blufin View Post
I ran my Pirelli's between 30-32 with great success. Street tires are made to perform their best at the recommended psi. Start lowering them too much and they begin "cupping". I'm thinking your problem is technique, not improper tire pressure.
He does know. Listen.

OP go around the water if possible and do a light spin to get the water off. Any more and you wind up with greasy tires.

Don't bother messing with air pressure with stock tires. Most of your problem is in your 60 foot as mentioned above.

Practice learning where in your left foot travel the clutch starts to catch. Then the trick is to add some throttle but not too much as the clutch engages all the way and then stomp it after the hook. After a while you can get the feel of the launch. It's all happening in under 2 seconds. Practice.

I am not as good as Blufin, but I could manage 1.9 60's with Pirellis. Others can do better. The other problem is your MPH for your mods. We should see 112-13. But maybe the DA was bad or you are short shifting. A shift light can really help here.

Good luck, but if you want to have more fun get DRs. Then learn to launch all over again. Then you will take your clutch down to the rivets. Get a new clutch. Learn to launch all over again. Fun.

Once you learn to launch with DRs mid 12s will be easy. A tune is not your problem. My bolton 1LE dynoed @ 422 with no tune. But a good tune will help a little. A tenth tops.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:11 AM   #27
j.curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by blufin View Post

You 100% correct the problem is technique. This was my first time out to the track and being it is so far away and only open on Wednesday nights I am only going to be able to make it once per month. It's hard to get the technique down when I am not able to go as much as I would like.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:15 AM   #28
j.curt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
He does know. Listen.

OP go around the water if possible and do a light spin to get the water off. Any more and you wind up with greasy tires.

Don't bother messing with air pressure with stock tires. Most of your problem is in your 60 foot as mentioned above.

Practice learning where in your left foot travel the clutch starts to catch. Then the trick is to add some throttle but not too much as the clutch engages all the way and then stomp it after the hook. After a while you can get the feel of the launch. It's all happening in under 2 seconds. Practice.

I am not as good as Blufin, but I could manage 1.9 60's with Pirellis. Others can do better. The other problem is your MPH for your mods. We should see 112-13. But maybe the DA was bad or you are short shifting. A shift light can really help here.

Good luck, but if you want to have more fun get DRs. Then learn to launch all over again. Then you will take your clutch down to the rivets. Get a new clutch. Learn to launch all over again. Fun.

Once you learn to launch with DRs mid 12s will be easy. A tune is not your problem. My bolton 1LE dynoed @ 422 with no tune. But a good tune will help a little. A tenth tops.
DRs would equal death from the wife lol, although I will be able to out run here then lol. As for the clutch, I am able to find the spot where it catches without moving the car. My main problem is the adding power off the line to make it where it doesn't spin.

The track is pretty close to sea level so I don't think I can blame it on the DA. My 2012 SS hits the rev limiter at 6200 which makes me switch into 4th gear right before the finish line. When I get this car tuned, I am going to have them raise it to 6500.