Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-21-2009, 08:47 PM   #43
HaveBlue

Drives: CTS/CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekyll-N-Hyde View Post
This is just like NHRA there is nothing Mustang or challenger about the cars but the body.
I dont care if they put the cobalt out there.......every car is the same car by not seeing Camaro its not going to hurt anything.
You mean this realistic Mustang body??

SEMA PICTURES-PARTS & CARS
http://www.pbase.com/haveblue/sema_2009
HaveBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:28 PM   #44
Joe Dirt

Drives: 02 ZR2 Blazer
Hey Dan3 I still want one even thought it's not going to be raced in NASCRAP.

NASCRAP has been going down hill for awhile now and this year is the worst I've ever seen. Anybody see all the empty seats this weekend? Chevy has said they want to preserve Camaro's distinct lines and I think it's a wise move on there part.
Joe Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:58 PM   #45
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
I did not read thru this thread.

BUT --

Why would Chevrolet want to take one of the best looking cars on the road today -- and ruin that look?

There is no way under NASCAR rules to put a car that LOOKS like a Camaro -- on the track.

I don't mean to bash NASCAR -- but on the other hand, I'd hate to ruin Camaro's great looks...........
Old 10-21-2009, 10:10 PM   #46
RobAGD

Drives: Dodge Magnum RT
[flamesuit]

Ok it seem that a lot of people here don't recall the days when every few weeks NASCAR has to issue new rules to teams for valance hight, Spoiler hight and angle to try to make it a fairly even playing field.

Feb 18 01 sealed the fate of the "twisted sister" car, they lost 6 drivers in 18 months.

These new cars are safer, your can beat the piss out of them and still run and they look more like a car than anything that has been on a track in years.

They (NASCAR) let the rules slide and slide and you got :

If you have ever looked at one of those up close they are an abomination. The Diver side fender is about 2 feed wide and the Passenger side is maybe 6" side, the roof is squashed to one side it is just an ugly pile of crap.

But the damn thing fits the template, that is why the COT has the claw template.

The COT cars were about safety first and keeping people in a much tighter box on what they can do to the sheet metal bodies. It is now about tuning the bump stops, the suspension and the drivers ability to DRIVE that brick at 200 mph. Did you see the Carl Edwards wreck at 'degga ? how the Joey L's several accident this year ? David R's Nasty accident ? Jeff Gordons Vegas wreck last year and the accident he had at the road course ? They all walked away from those because of the new cars.

How many times in the last 2 season have you seen a car loose it and just correct out and get back into it ?

A lot these cars you can recover from stuff like that because of the car design. Is it a MF'er to set up sure, but then you are using your brain to figure out the issues.

Also the racing has gotten a load better, heck I recall racing in the 70's where there were 2-4 cars ( MAYBE ) on the lead lap, is that fun to watch ?

I am not a huge fan of the COT in general but it is better than where they were. I was hoping they would do something in the Nationwide cars like the Mustang, Challenger and Camaro bring back something kinda like the old Trans Am series, make them hang factory skins, work out a set of front ends that make the areo packages even, keep them in a very tight box and let it be the drivers and crew chiefs that win the race.

As to sales, NASCAR is one of the best bang for the buck ways to advertise, the Big 4 know that, and the type of car they race has little to do with it, it is about keeping the name out there be it Ford Focus, Chevy Cobalt, Toyota Camry or the Chevy Impala.

You guys not watching are missing some damn good racing, so stop being a bunch of homers and watch the last few races of the chase and see if that changes your thinking on it.

-Robert

[/flamesuit]

Aw poo, you all don't have media linking ?
RobAGD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:34 PM   #47
shockandawe

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
It's more humilating for the Mustang to get it's ugly ass beat by an Impala every week and per GM,that's the way it's gonna stay!
shockandawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:04 AM   #48
SZOTSTA24

Drives: Inferno Orange 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
this makes no sense at all. they camaro should be in the nationwide series at least. it should because its not like the cup car. in nationwide, the body styles are going to be noticeably different. just look at the challenger pics from testing. you can tell its a challenger even with no paint on it. The camaro should be racing in a well known series!!!!!!!
SZOTSTA24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 01:27 AM   #49
All-Or-Nothing
Account Suspended

Drives: BMW 6 series Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsg1391 View Post
Oh, you know, just this 164,000 one:

That't not a big crowd, right?
The point was that there won't be a crowd for a Hybrid race...
All-Or-Nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:28 AM   #50
HALFFAST

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAGD View Post
[flamesuit]

Ok it seem that a lot of people here don't recall the days when every few weeks NASCAR has to issue new rules to teams for valance hight, Spoiler hight and angle to try to make it a fairly even playing field.

Feb 18 01 sealed the fate of the "twisted sister" car, they lost 6 drivers in 18 months.

These new cars are safer, your can beat the piss out of them and still run and they look more like a car than anything that has been on a track in years.

They (NASCAR) let the rules slide and slide and you got :

If you have ever looked at one of those up close they are an abomination. The Diver side fender is about 2 feed wide and the Passenger side is maybe 6" side, the roof is squashed to one side it is just an ugly pile of crap.

But the damn thing fits the template, that is why the COT has the claw template.

The COT cars were about safety first and keeping people in a much tighter box on what they can do to the sheet metal bodies. It is now about tuning the bump stops, the suspension and the drivers ability to DRIVE that brick at 200 mph. Did you see the Carl Edwards wreck at 'degga ? how the Joey L's several accident this year ? David R's Nasty accident ? Jeff Gordons Vegas wreck last year and the accident he had at the road course ? They all walked away from those because of the new cars.

How many times in the last 2 season have you seen a car loose it and just correct out and get back into it ?

A lot these cars you can recover from stuff like that because of the car design. Is it a MF'er to set up sure, but then you are using your brain to figure out the issues.

Also the racing has gotten a load better, heck I recall racing in the 70's where there were 2-4 cars ( MAYBE ) on the lead lap, is that fun to watch ?

I am not a huge fan of the COT in general but it is better than where they were. I was hoping they would do something in the Nationwide cars like the Mustang, Challenger and Camaro bring back something kinda like the old Trans Am series, make them hang factory skins, work out a set of front ends that make the areo packages even, keep them in a very tight box and let it be the drivers and crew chiefs that win the race.

As to sales, NASCAR is one of the best bang for the buck ways to advertise, the Big 4 know that, and the type of car they race has little to do with it, it is about keeping the name out there be it Ford Focus, Chevy Cobalt, Toyota Camry or the Chevy Impala.

You guys not watching are missing some damn good racing, so stop being a bunch of homers and watch the last few races of the chase and see if that changes your thinking on it.

-Robert

[/flamesuit]

Aw poo, you all don't have media linking ?

I have probably missed less than a handful of televised races in my life,even back before big broadcasting contracts as a young kid I would watch wide world of sports on Sunday afternoons just to catch about 10 minutes of nascar coverage sandwiched in between the rowing and bowling and darts each hour.
I agree 100% that when you put all the BS aside and when it come down to just the racing, it is heaps better now than it ever was back in the day and as a bonus I don't have to sit and watch my hero's die off or be crippled in their prime.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:29 AM   #51
djinva
Bow Tie Fan

Drives: 16 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post

BUT --

Why would Chevrolet want to take one of the best looking cars on the road today -- and ruin that look?

There is no way under NASCAR rules to put a car that LOOKS like a Camaro -- on the track.

I don't mean to bash NASCAR -- but on the other hand, I'd hate to ruin Camaro's great looks...........
I am a NASCAR fan and always have been. I do not like the COT but understand the need for a safer car, and the racing is better. But why would Chevrolet want to ruin the best looking car out there and yes it will be more humiliation for Ford to get beat by an Impala.
12 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
Instagram: djinva88
djinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #52
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
I won't want to see drivers die. I also don't want to see a bunch of boring cloned cars. My very practical and reasonable solution: I don't watch NASCAR.
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 09:53 AM   #53
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post

BUT --

Don't worry about bashing NASCAR - it ain't what it used to be, there's nothing left to bash.

Frankly I'd be very dissapointed in GM if they were to grant NASCAR permission to use the Camaro name as a sticker on a Hendricks Racing engineered vehicle (since there's nothing even remotely similar to a "STOCK" car in the sport anymore).
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #54
Dan3
Captain of the Failboat

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
For clarification...
I don't think most of us are NASCAR haters, or bashing the sport. We just do not want to see a gorgeous car like the Camaro turned into a sticker and put on that track. IMO NASCAR cars should just carry the manufacturer's name and either no model name, or a NASCAR specific model name. No NASCAR vehicle looks like its production namesake.

I agree NASCAR racing has gotten better and safer with all the rules and regs in place, but it does not lend itself to the expression of cars like the Camaro, Challenger, or Mustang.
Produced - 10 August 2009 : #34143
Delivered - 25 August 2009
Dan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 11:45 AM   #55
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
Don't worry about bashing NASCAR - it ain't what it used to be, there's nothing left to bash.

Frankly I'd be very dissapointed in GM if they were to grant NASCAR permission to use the Camaro name as a sticker on a Hendricks Racing engineered vehicle (since there's nothing even remotely similar to a "STOCK" car in the sport anymore).

Hate to say it, but you kinda have that backwards ..... NASCAR is the one to grant permission .....
Old 10-22-2009, 12:01 PM   #56
1fastdog

Drives: 2002 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyCarlo View Post
GM is not putting the Camaro in NASCAR because it would no longer be a Camaro. Everything in NASCAR looks 99% identical to all the other cars there, and that would be a travesty for a gorgeously sculpted machine like the Camaro.
Some time ago the notion of the Nationwide series going to Camaro, Mustang, Challenger, etc. was being bandied about.

I have a friend that owns a car in that series and he told me the answer from Chevrolet was a resounding no when the body template was shown.

There's nothing in it for Chevrolet if the Camaro looks nothing like a Camaro.

If anything along those lines has changed it comes as news to me.

NASCAR spec bodies do nothing for manufacturers.

Nothing against NASCAR. Lot's of head tech results from NASCAR, not to mention "BeeHive" valve spring development.

I see no reason to have one of your best looking designs not used, but substituted for something which looks quite goofy, all for NASCAR to persue their own agenda.

IMO, NASCAR is all about show biz, very little about racing.

It won't help sell one Mustang or Camaro.