Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-09-2011, 04:17 AM   #85
TOMS1SS

Drives: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactuseater View Post
Yeppers. I posted this earlier today and the thread disappeared. Got my info from Foxnews.com.....
That's because there were 5 threads on this going, they all got merged in the other car section. This is number 6 and I suspect it is destined for the same fate.
TOMS1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #86
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
What he is referring to is the Tremec TR6060 manual transmissions found in the 5th Gen Camaro SS. The internals are built in China and the transmission assembled in Mexico. I watched for months as people bashed the Mustang for a transmission built in China and laughed at the fact that nobody knew the TR6060 was in fact foreign... It is very difficult to find a manual transmission built in the US anymore but there are several automatics (ie Ford Livonia and the GM Hydra Matic). The Camaro V6's automatic transmission is built in Japan but also has internals from China. I believe the MT82's internals are built in Liverpool, England (the Range Rover MT82's are) but are assembled in China.

Edit: The MT82 transmission is produced in the Getrag Ford Halewood plant in Liverpool, UK and assembled in China (somewhere). The main reason most people cannot find information on the transmssion is because most people do not know the actual global name of the Getrag MT82. The transmission is coded 6MT1500 and is one of the most lightweight, compact gearboxes in the world and has an incredible torque capacity rating at a GVWR of almost 10,000lbs.

Here is the actual transmission we have come to know as the MT82, look at what the max torque rating is and what the weight of the vehicle it was recorded at. Lets see Tremec do that...
http://www.getrag.de/en/235
It says max torque capacity is 500Nm. Maybe my math is wrong, but doesn't that convert to 369 ft lbs? Why else would they use the Getrag for the GT and the Tremec for the GT500?

Also check this out
APPLICATIONS

• Rear Wheel driven light duty trucks, Sports Utility Vehicles and pick-ups
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroMiami View Post
I don't get it. All these people out of work here in the US and we outsource!!!!!!.
People want the absolute cheapest price possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REEFBLUE93 View Post
Yup, it will happen more and more as the government continues to tax the rich. Ask California how that's working out for them. Rick Perry loves their approach in California...
LOL

Last edited by SUX2BU; 08-09-2011 at 08:55 AM.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 09:04 AM   #87
Nvincent4708

Drives: N/A
I'm assuming their issue is much worse than the TR6060 and the V6's trans grinding issue?

We can get them in gear..they cannot at all?

Just asking for clarification.
Nvincent4708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #88
FirstandFifthGen

Drives: 68 Camaro, 48 Chevy truck, 36 Chevy
This tranny issue is not the skip shift feature. That only comes into play when shifting out of 1st gear. These trannies are havining issues in 2nd and 3rd gears also. Like I said, two guys at work here have 2011 Mustangs, and both are having shifting and grinding issues; one of them had also unhooked the skip shift feature.

And Sux, you are right, people want the absolute lowest pricing, so it's kind of a catch 22. Not to mention the world is very small now and extemely globally tied. Still, when I buy items, I look for US made and while I can afford to, will pay more for it.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #89
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstandFifthGen View Post
And Sux, you are right, people want the absolute lowest pricing, so it's kind of a catch 22. Not to mention the world is very small now and extemely globally tied. Still, when I buy items, I look for US made and while I can afford to, will pay more for it.
Same here, within reason. :flag2::flag1:
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 04:10 PM   #90
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Maro Demon View Post
I had heard about a problem with them but this article makes it seem pretty serious for the 2010-2011 Mustangs.http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs...4-5dc97b74c218
Merged
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactuseater View Post
Yeppers. I posted this earlier today and the thread disappeared. Got my info from Foxnews.com.....
Did you post it in 5th Gen General? If so, it was moved (because that section isn't for talking about Mustangs) then merged (because several others had already posted about the issue)

Go back a few posts and you'll find you're post and a few replies to it.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #91
assasinator
1 n the head,2 n da chest

Drives: 2002 cadillac deville
my clutch sticks to the floor after they replaced the clutch.
2011GT E85, Kooks 1-7/8", 3" offroad X, 2-7/8" overaxles, Roush mufflers, CobraJet intake, SCJ monoblade throttle body, drew 4.5" CAI, Boss302S exhaust valve springs, Baby CobraJet exhaust cams. 3.73 gears, lightweight 300A. 455rwhp @7800/410rwtq SAE 5000lb roller dynojet
assasinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:22 PM   #92
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by REEFBLUE93 View Post
Yup, it will happen more and more as the government continues to tax the rich. Ask California how that's working out for them. Rick Perry loves their approach in California...
Facepalm.. that has nothing to do with it, foreign nations has lower labor cost.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:15 AM   #93
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
It says max torque capacity is 500Nm. Maybe my math is wrong, but doesn't that convert to 369 ft lbs? Why else would they use the Getrag for the GT and the Tremec for the GT500?
Your math is correct, 500Nm is only 369lb ft of torque but you are missing a very important factor in transmission ratings.. and that is the weight at which that transmission achieves that rating. If the same transmission were to be rated with a GVWR of 4600lbs (Mustang GTs GVWR), the 369lb ft maximum torque rating advertised would be doubled. The transmission requires force and resistance to determine the torque rating. Without resistance, the torque rating on a transmission would be infinite. Force would be the power generated from the engine and resistance would be the weight and traction of the tires. Since traction is difficult to simulate, weight (mostly because of towing capacity) is very important when transmissions are rated. This is why you see 9 and 10 second 5.0s on a stock transmission, because the transmission was rated with 10,000lbs of resistance, at that weight, the transmissions torque rating would be very low (370lb ft) but at the Mustangs actual curb weight, the transmission would be capable of 600-700lb ft of torque unless the car had tires on it that allowed maximum traction. After awhile the transmission would eventually fail.

As for Tremec (we will use the TR6060), Tremec rates their transmission at exactly or very close to the torque and weight of the specific vehicle it is made for. For example, the MG9 in the CTS-V is rated at 560lb ft at a 4250lb vehicle weight (not GVWR but curb weight). The M10 found in the Camaro SS is rated at 430lb ft at 3900lbs. The only exception would be all Corvette transmissions are rated at 4000lbs even at the exact engine torque rating, I do not know why this is done.

Why doesn’t the GT500 use the Getrag? Because the 5.4 is on its last leg and will be discontinued shortly. The Getrag equipped 5.0 will take the place to the 5.4 and Tremec. Why spend the money on R&D?

Besides, it is very possible that Ford and Tremec have a contract…
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:26 AM   #94
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by assasinator View Post
my clutch sticks to the floor after they replaced the clutch.

Here we go...

You are the troll of troll's. If you even own a new 2011+ Mustang sell it. It doesn't deserve you.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 03:04 AM   #95
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstandFifthGen View Post
This tranny issue is not the skip shift feature. That only comes into play when shifting out of 1st gear. These trannies are havining issues in 2nd and 3rd gears also. Like I said, two guys at work here have 2011 Mustangs, and both are having shifting and grinding issues; one of them had also unhooked the skip shift feature.

The "grinding" they are experiencing is more of a "clunk", they need to swap the tranny fluid. Tell them to read the TSB and take it to the Ford dealer. I left my tranny fluid alone and it no longer clunks in the cold. The Getrag will also throw you out of gear if you shift like a girl or a grand ma, it is a mans car... your not going to break it...

I still believe it is a skip shift feature that most are complaining about in the investigation. "Not being able to shift" means that they are trying for 2nd and it refuses to go into that gear. That is skip shift and most people don't know it exist. Again... stop driving like an elderly woman... If most Mustang buyers are women then that is probably the problem... although 32 out of almost 100,000 is not 50% man to woman ratio... The Ford Transit has the MT82 and it doesn't have skip shift, the Range Rover has the MT82 and it doesn't have skip shift but yet no problems with those transmissions.... strange...
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:11 AM   #96
REEFBLUE93
Account Suspended

Drives: 1993 Rustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth411 View Post
Facepalm.. that has nothing to do with it, foreign nations has lower labor cost.

Are you serious?? What do you think corporations will do when their taxes are raised? Cut labor costs..
It has everything to do with it, brush up on your economics before you speak.
REEFBLUE93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #97
FirstandFifthGen

Drives: 68 Camaro, 48 Chevy truck, 36 Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
The "grinding" they are experiencing is more of a "clunk", they need to swap the tranny fluid. Tell them to read the TSB and take it to the Ford dealer. I left my tranny fluid alone and it no longer clunks in the cold. The Getrag will also throw you out of gear if you shift like a girl or a grand ma, it is a mans car... your not going to break it...

I still believe it is a skip shift feature that most are complaining about in the investigation. "Not being able to shift" means that they are trying for 2nd and it refuses to go into that gear. That is skip shift and most people don't know it exist. Again... stop driving like an elderly woman... If most Mustang buyers are women then that is probably the problem... although 32 out of almost 100,000 is not 50% man to woman ratio... The Ford Transit has the MT82 and it doesn't have skip shift, the Range Rover has the MT82 and it doesn't have skip shift but yet no problems with those transmissions.... strange...
From Autoweek:

The complaints range from the grinding of gears to the complete lockout of others. One owner said that after six trips to the dealership, the problem still wasn't solved. The alleged issue exists on both V6 and V8 Mustangs.

The current Mustang uses the MT82 transmission, built by Getrag at a joint-venture plant in China. The Land Rover Defender uses the same unit and has reported experienced similar problems.

Trust me, its not the skip shift, my buddies at work confirm that, like I said removed it, and it happens in 2, 3 and 4 shifts...NOT just out of 1st.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:01 PM   #98
jmatero

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Txmxracer View Post
No its not the skip shit deal. The transmission wont actually go into gear or it is very hard to put it into gear.
LOL That's my car in the video

It's not skip-shift. The skip-shift is only in the GT and V6 owners (along with Land Rover Defender and Ford Transit Vans with the MT82) have the same issues. I'm in a lemon case now after my second tranny went at 5000 miles.

This one shows it better:

jmatero is offline   Reply With Quote