Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 06-16-2014, 12:52 PM   #15
2014v6

Drives: 2014 black 2 LT
If u have a v6 with the drop in oil filter. You gottachange it every 6 months or the filter will. Could start to collapse....

Dealer told me 6 months or the millege... i put little over 6 k miles this year fixing to have second oil change next month....
TPW 7-22-13(6-14-13)
3300 status 6-28-13
3400 status 7-18-13
3800 status 7-20-13
4200 status On its way home
6000 status 7-31-13 first camaro ever...
Sold 7-5-14.. thank you oshawa assembly
2014v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 12:59 PM   #16
homewrecker

Drives: '04 Z06, '14BMW M235i, '15 SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank in MD View Post
One person with a '14 who says otherwise is not "some". The majority have said what I said.

"For most 2014 vehicles, Chevrolet, Buick and GMC dealers will complete an oil and filter change, four-wheel tire rotation, and conduct a 27-point vehicle inspection based on what’s called for in the vehicle owner’s manual maintenance schedule and oil life monitoring system."

GM's 2 year or 24K miles service.
ummm 2 people buddy am I taking crazy pills? did my dealer do an early oil change when I requested or am I just imagining it? I marked my oil filter too. not trying to be a pain but I'm speaking up because I'm on your side, I back up all my camaro brother and sisters that I feel are not getting the service they deserved after paying hard earned money for their car, my dealer (and now I feel fortunate) says I have 3 FREE oil changes left.

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk
homewrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #17
BruHop

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE,RS,NPP,Recaros in SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank in MD View Post
One person with a '14 who says otherwise is not "some". The majority have said what I said.

"For most 2014 vehicles, Chevrolet, Buick and GMC dealers will complete an oil and filter change, four-wheel tire rotation, and conduct a 27-point vehicle inspection based on what’s called for in the vehicle owner’s manual maintenance schedule and oil life monitoring system."

GM's 2 year or 24K miles service.

My math counts three! Blue Thunder, Home Wrecker and Wayne Watson. That still qualifies as "some."
BruHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #18
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
I know its not a Camaro but on our Spark my dealer said bring it in every 5,000 miles or 6 months for the free service no matter what the OLM says.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #19
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
I had a similar issue but sadly did not find out until Spring rolled around and I was able to change my own oil. I called them around 5k miles and they said they will not change it until it is at 22% or less. I said ok whatever, i mean Mercedes doesn't change their oils until 10K-15K miles. So when i met that criteria, i went in and said that I wanted Synthetic and will pay the difference since i only have a 2LT which GM only recommends regular oil. He said that I was dumb because it's not worth it but I explained that ANY engine that you run hard will benefit from a better oil in the system. They also do not tell you that the oil change is for 5 qts only so no matter what you have to pay for the additional quart at like $10/qt. Whatever I said as long as it's done correctly. I paid, still not knowing how it got this high, just as much as the advertised price for a synthetic oil change with 5 qts. I asked the guy to explain the bill because it doesn't make sense and his response was "Just read it, it's simple." Being tired and aggravated at this point, I paid and went home with all the wondrous snow around me this past Winter. Note that I have an RS so the wheels cannot be rotated which usually comes with the oil/tire rotation for 2 year deal. Instead of the rotation, they were supposed to check the air filters. This too was argued that they don't do that unless i pay $60 or so...blah blah blah. I said do whatever my contract says and nothing more. Well apparently they checked the air filter all right and this Spring, I found that when they checked the air box, they broke a clip off. Instead of telling me they did that or even checked it, they just placed some electrical tape on the broken clip and half assed it back on the box. Let's say that I was PISSED when I went to change my own oil but happy that the replacement of the box is covered under my warranty.

Moral of the story you ask? CHANGE YOUR OWN OIL AND DON'T PUT ANOTHER DIME IN THE DEALERSHIP'S POCKETS UNLESS YOU CAN TRULY TRUST THEM. Mine might have been a true mistake, ish happens but to be treated like i'm stupid and then break something and not tell me makes me not trust them. When you do it yourself you know it's done how YOU want.

Good Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olddude View Post
I won't let my dealer touch my car after what I saw when I changed the oil myself. On the previous oil change at the dealer they left an old gasket in the filter housing. I couldn't believe what I found when I removed my filter. It is a shame the techs at the dealer don't take a little more pride in their work.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT/RS
NJBourne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:20 PM   #20
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBourne23 View Post
I had a similar issue but sadly did not find out until Spring rolled around and I was able to change my own oil. I called them around 5k miles and they said they will not change it until it is at 22% or less. I said ok whatever, i mean Mercedes doesn't change their oils until 10K-15K miles. So when i met that criteria, i went in and said that I wanted Synthetic and will pay the difference since i only have a 2LT which GM only recommends regular oil. He said that I was dumb because it's not worth it but I explained that ANY engine that you run hard will benefit from a better oil in the system. They also do not tell you that the oil change is for 5 qts only so no matter what you have to pay for the additional quart at like $10/qt. Whatever I said as long as it's done correctly. I paid, still not knowing how it got this high, just as much as the advertised price for a synthetic oil change with 5 qts. I asked the guy to explain the bill because it doesn't make sense and his response was "Just read it, it's simple." Being tired and aggravated at this point, I paid and went home with all the wondrous snow around me this past Winter. Note that I have an RS so the wheels cannot be rotated which usually comes with the oil/tire rotation for 2 year deal. Instead of the rotation, they were supposed to check the air filters. This too was argued that they don't do that unless i pay $60 or so...blah blah blah. I said do whatever my contract says and nothing more. Well apparently they checked the air filter all right and this Spring, I found that when they checked the air box, they broke a clip off. Instead of telling me they did that or even checked it, they just placed some electrical tape on the broken clip and half assed it back on the box. Let's say that I was PISSED when I went to change my own oil but happy that the replacement of the box is covered under my warranty.

Moral of the story you ask? CHANGE YOUR OWN OIL AND DON'T PUT ANOTHER DIME IN THE DEALERSHIP'S POCKETS UNLESS YOU CAN TRULY TRUST THEM. Mine might have been a true mistake, ish happens but to be treated like i'm stupid and then break something and not tell me makes me not trust them. When you do it yourself you know it's done how YOU want.

Good Luck
You do know the 2 year free maintenance we are talking about doesn't apply to any cars older than MY14.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:26 PM   #21
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Apparently, the dealer has latitude on this issue. I checked with my Service Manager and he confirmed I can get my oil changes whenever I want, up to four under the program. OCI #1 was completed at no charge at 995.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:54 PM   #22
luis550

Drives: 2013 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
You also don't have a 14 with two years free oil changes.
That's true. I have free oil changes for life on my 2013 so there might be different rules.
luis550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #23
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luis550 View Post
That's true. I have free oil changes for life on my 2013 so there might be different rules.
That is probably a dealer thing and not from GM.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #24
luis550

Drives: 2013 2lt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
That is probably a dealer thing and not from GM.
You are probably right. I didn't think about that.
luis550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:06 PM   #25
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luis550 View Post
You are probably right. I didn't think about that.
I have seen dealers around here Advertizing lifetime warranties, but in the fine print you have a strict maintenance schedule and that dealership has to perform all the maintenance. If you miss one scheduled maintenance, no more warranty... To me that is a scam.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:17 PM   #26
Arbgast

Drives: DRIVES 2014 2SS RS convertible
My dealer said 10% is when they will change!
Arbgast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:52 AM   #27
thkfast

Drives: '14 Red 2SS/RS/LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydriver View Post
Apparently, the dealer has latitude on this issue. I checked with my Service Manager and he confirmed I can get my oil changes whenever I want, up to four under the program. OCI #1 was completed at no charge at 995.
This is EXACTLY what my local Chevrolet dealer told me.

thkfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:44 AM   #28
BigRed585Lbs

Drives: Sierra and Tahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1olddude View Post
I won't let my dealer touch my car after what I saw when I changed the oil myself. On the previous oil change at the dealer they left an old gasket in the filter housing. I couldn't believe what I found when I removed my filter. It is a shame the techs at the dealer don't take a little more pride in their work.
Only guy lower on the maintenance totem pole is the guy that washes the used car trade-ins. Do your own oil changes for quality workmanship. You'll be better off in the long run.
BigRed585Lbs is offline   Reply With Quote