Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 09-04-2011, 11:50 PM   #1
ryan's camaro
Taeng

Drives: Fast
Exclamation Weight load/frame

I recently purchased a 2012 Camaro 4 days ago and I stumbled upon the "Tire and Loading Weight" sticker on the inside of the door frame. It says the load of all occupants and cargo should not exceed 732 pounds.

I drove my 3 friends around in it and we were pretty close to that weight mark. What would happen if I had a fully packed Camaro with some luggage in the trunk? Would that damage the chassis/shocks/framework in some way?
ryan's camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 01:11 AM   #2
ackeight

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS
Your tires will explode. In all seriousness you won't break anything if you're within a reasonable amount. I would like to get an expert response on this. Can you even fit normal sized people in the back to get your weight close to 700lbs?
Old 09-05-2011, 01:32 AM   #3
ryan's camaro
Taeng

my friends are shorter than 6 feet and we weight roughly 180-200 each, so yes.

Last edited by ryan's camaro; 09-05-2011 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:33 AM   #4
ryan's camaro
Taeng

I'd also like some expert response for this. This is my first car and I want to make sure everything is absolutely perfect for my Camaro!
Old 09-05-2011, 06:32 PM   #5
ackeight

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan's camaro View Post
my friends are shorter than 6" and we weight roughly 180-200 each, so yes.
Of course your friends will fit in the back if they are shorter than 6" (inches) . Just busting your balls. I'll tell you what you better have some short legs to get those front seats far enough forward to get anyone in the back no matter how tall/short they are because I'm 6' and my seat is set perfect for me and you have about 4 inches of room between the back seat and front.
I've been doing some research and I think the only issue would be the load on the tires and what they are certified to. I don't believe you should have a problem with the suspension/chassis.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:53 PM   #6
ryan's camaro
Taeng

lol
I sit pretty close to the wheel as I am only 5' 10". My friends have decent leg room but not a whole lot of head room. Well, just to be on the safe side, I don't want my RS rims and tires to explode either. I love everything about the car. Very glad I made the decision to buy the Camaro!
Old 09-06-2011, 08:53 AM   #7
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
That rating is based on spring rate, shock valving and tire load ratings. In this case the load rating of the tires isn't really the limiting factor. Even if it were, tire load ratings are very conservative so you would be fine.

Manufacturers have to rate everything assuming people will abuse it at some time or another and still be safe. I realize you have an RS but the information shown below is for the factory SS tires so it will be slightly different. Load ratings work like this. Front tires for the SS are Pirelli P Zero 245/45ZR20 103Y and the rear tires are Pirelli P Zero 275/40ZR20 106Y. The 3 digit number after the size designates the load rating of the tire. The front tires are rated to 1929 lbs/tire while the rears are rated to 2094 lbs/tire. This gives an overall load capacity of 8046 lbs for the vehicle. If you subtract the weight of the vehicle (approximately 3750 lbs) you come up with a difference of 4296 lbs. Subtract the 732 lb. cargo and passenger weight and you are right around 3564 lbs. This extra load value may seem high to some but you have to account for the extra g-loading during braking, acceleration, and cornering. Load ratings are designed to keep the tire operating at an optimal temperature. Over loading a tire or running it low on pressure will make it run hotter. The manufacturers account for this to an extent. Either way I wouldn't worry about the tires being your limiting factor.Load IndexPoundsKilograms
Load IndexPoundsKilograms
Spring rate is the main reason for the low cargo rating. Performance cars are optimized with the proper spring rate and valving to create good handling characteristics and to provide a nice ride within a certain range of parameters. Hauling around excessive weight is not one of these parameters. In this case GM has determined that 732 lbs allows the car to still maintain adequate handling capabilities while remaining safe for the driver. Will it handle more weight? Of course, it just begins to effect the manners of the vehicle...and I am sure there will be somebody, somewhere that will find the limit of just where it becomes unsafe....
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #8
ryan's camaro
Taeng

Good information BMR guy.

So pretty much as long as I'm about 700lbs, or even 1000 lbs, my Camaro would still be capable of driving without the risk of damage to the tires and other parts?

I know I'd probably never go above 1000lbs, but my family only includes me, dad, and sibling. We would still fit comfortably together.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:01 PM   #9
Camaro427

Drives: 2010 SS2 Camaro
Quote:

So pretty much as long as I'm about 700lbs, or even 1000 lbs, my Camaro would still be capable of driving without the risk of damage to the tires and other parts?

I know I'd probably never go above 1000lbs, but my family only includes me, dad, and sibling. We would still fit comfortably together.
The BMR guy gave you great advise. I do not think you can load a Camaro to exceed the overall tire load range.

I agree, the rating is all about the spring rates and not the tires.

Enjoy your buddies
Camaro427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:22 AM   #10
BMR guy

Drives: 2010 1SS
Quote:

I doubt very seriously you would ever damage tires or parts by hauling weight around, it just compromises the cars handling and drivability.
BMR guy is offline   Reply With Quote