Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #43
ayousef

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUSDRVR View Post
Well if you want to go oldschool you could always go bigger and cut a hole in the hood. Good luck with your build.

A bunch of tuners tried dialing this monster in and none of them were able to, until they sent Mike from New Era Performance to New Orleans to tune her, took a while but it worked out!

Hes also the tuner for the fastest COPO in the country #003
ayousef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #44
Cmlloveless

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayousef View Post
so you're saying Whipple's are a bad way of making power? or would all Positive Displacement blowers be a really bad way of making power since Whipple's are the most efficient of the bunch?

Now when we talk about IAT's no one cares what your intake air temps are while cruising around, show us how they look like when you step on it.

Vortech's are awesome dont get me wrong, my vortech z06 was insanely quick. Centrifugals also work really good on higher compression motors, and especially stock motors because they boost by RPM, so you only see full boost at redline.

PD blowers put alot of stress on the engine but make an insane amount of low-end torque, and would probably be in full boost at around 3500rpms. 800rwtq does feel nice at 3000rpms.

Also, this is a no expense spared build, were using the biggest heatexchanger, high flowing intercooler pump, large intercooler fluid reservoir tank etc...

Well it looks like Procharger may have just solved that issue for you... They are showing there new i-1 at SEMA. It will have a built in transmission which will allow for the pulley size to change while driving. I do not know the numbers as they have not been released, but if this is an option available on their F1's I am confident it will be hard to match it.
Cmlloveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #45
Cmlloveless

Anyways, back on the subject, if you have the cabability of fabricating something for the firewall then can't you also do some fabricating on the stock ZL1 hood to make it fit your needs?
Old 10-30-2012, 04:29 PM   #46
ayousef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmlloveless View Post
Well it looks like Procharger may have just solved that issue for you... They are showing there new i-1 at SEMA. It will have a built in transmission which will allow for the pulley size to change while driving. I do not know the numbers as they have not been released, but if this is an option available on their F1's I am confident it will be hard to match it.
As far as I understood, you can switch boost levels, which means run 6psi, then turn it to 12 etc...? Its like a turbo with a boost controller.

I dont think its going to smoothly gradually transition from 6psi to 12psi to make both low-end and top-end.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:32 PM   #47
ayousef

Quote:
Anyways, back on the subject, if you have the cabability of fabricating something for the firewall then can't you also do some fabricating on the stock ZL1 hood to make it fit your needs?
I wish I could take some material off the ZL1 hood to make it fit, we will have to find out but I doubt it will fit, that blower is HUGE.

Firewall will be worked on and/or the supercharger snout, so I guess ill have to wait and find out really.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #48
2SS45th

Drives: 11 Seconds or Faster
Quote:
As far as I understood, you can switch boost levels, which means run 6psi, then turn it to 12 etc...? Its like a turbo with a boost controller.

I dont think its going to smoothly gradually transition from 6psi to 12psi to make both low-end and top-end.
It is going to make a smooth transition, that's the same way that boost controllers and wastegates make turbos run. I would be looking at this more than the headache from running a whipple 4.0.

2SS45th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #49
ayousef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS45th View Post
It is going to make a smooth transition, that's the same way that boost controllers and wastegates make turbos run. I would be looking at this more than the headache from running a whipple 4.0.
In that case it will be awesome, id still want to see it out and tested before I put it on my engine, not sure how durable the variable gearing system is and if its prone to failure etc... I really dont want to be the guinea pig on such a new technology.

Worst case scenario for me is i slap on a COPO hood, the guys at the shop have alot figured out regarding the modifications to the firewall and so on after working with a COPO camaro.

the wow factor, torque, upgradeability, efficiency and more are still leaning towards the 4.0, its done deal dont try to talk me out of it
Old 10-30-2012, 05:33 PM   #50
ayousef

I might post a build thread, just not sure yet. I might post it on ls1tech or something, but for anyone interested follow new era performance's page on facebook, the updates will all be there.

Im doing so much PR work for new era, hell they have to pay me for this lol.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:32 AM   #51
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
Quote:
so you're saying Whipple's are a bad way of making power? or would all Positive Displacement blowers be a really bad way of making power since Whipple's are the most efficient of the bunch?
No? When did I say "Whipple's are a bad way of making power"?. What I said was you had better options.

Quote:
Now when we talk about IAT's no one cares what your intake air temps are while cruising around, show us how they look like when you step on it.
The Aeroforce Interceptor logs at WOT. I just told you, read my post. IATs are constantly 2 - 4 degrees above Ambient

Quote:
Vortech's are awesome dont get me wrong, my vortech z06 was insanely quick. Centrifugals also work really good on higher compression motors, and especially stock motors because they boost by RPM, so you only see full boost at redline.
Max boost in a PD blower and Max boost on centri blower have the same impact on compression ratio.

Quote:
PD blowers put alot of stress on the engine but make an insane amount of low-end torque, and would probably be in full boost at around 3500rpms. 800rwtq does feel nice at 3000rpms.
I'll take your word for it. Hope you have a plan for getting that to the ground.

Quote:
Also, this is a no expense spared build, were using the biggest heatexchanger, high flowing intercooler pump, large intercooler fluid reservoir tank etc...
Again, more power to ya for spending a lot of money. I'm just saying that there are better options for doing so, especially in your area with the environmental challenges you're facing..
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 10:33 AM   #52
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Drives: TT/SS
Quote:
A bunch of tuners tried dialing this monster in and none of them were able to, until they sent Mike from New Era Performance to New Orleans to tune her, took a while but it worked out!

Hes also the tuner for the fastest COPO in the country #003
I wonder who those bunch of tuners were? I wonder if any actual LS dedicated tuners in louisiana touched it since it was at a mopar shop. ie: Allan Futral from futral motorsports, Shawn from Lethal racing, Randy from Ragin Racin. But regardless that setup looks amazing.

Furthermore I can't wait to see how your setup comes out. I wonder how much space converting to dry sump will give you? Slimmer oil pan and do custom motor mounts to sit the engine lower. Ofcourse you would need custom headers too. Goodluck with your build.

The ZL1s look so gorgeous to me it would be hard for me to change the hood. I would be afraid to mess up the look....and functionality.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:44 AM   #53
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Drives: TT/SS
The 4.0 whipple is a serious blower I would love to see some one max it out....just for shits and giggles. Talked to a connection and they said over 1200whp. I'd like to see it though.
Old 10-31-2012, 12:33 PM   #54
Cmlloveless

Quote:

Watch their video about it... It says that you will be able to adjust boost on the fly... weather that means you can adjust it just before a takeoff or if it will gradually change, I don't know... I am hoping for it gradually changing if you want it to.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:17 PM   #55
ayousef

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
No? When did I say "Whipple's are a bad way of making power"?. What I said was you had better options.

The Aeroforce Interceptor logs at WOT. I just told you, read my post. IATs are constantly 2 - 4 degrees above Ambient

Max boost in a PD blower and Max boost on centri blower have the same impact on compression ratio.

I'll take your word for it. Hope you have a plan for getting that to the ground.

Again, more power to ya for spending a lot of money. I'm just saying that there are better options for doing so, especially in your area with the environmental challenges you're facing..
Okay, let me begin by asking you, did you ever drive a Whipple powered car? If not then you're being biased to a product you own and think its the best. Dont get me wrong, Vortech's are awesome, but for my goals the Big whipple would be insane.

Second of all. What are you logging, IAT1 or IAT2? Yes, that might sound correct at partial throttle with a centri and an A2A front mount intercooler, however there is absolutely no way you are at 2-4 degrees above ambient at WOT, I say it again and ill bet you on anything there is no way you remain at 2 degrees above ambient at WOT and claiming to do so will only make you sound foolish. Want to prove yourself? Show us a video or an HPTuners log.

On the other hand, if you want I could get you logs of an F1 procharger and how hot the inlet temps get from 40 to 120mph roll, you will not beleive with just 12psi on a 408. What else would you expect by sucking hot air above the exhaust manifolds.

Third, I guess you dont do your own tuning, but even if you didnt do your own tuning whatever I will say here is GENERAL knowledge, so I suggest you read more before making such a false claim. An engine produces maximum volumetric efficiency at peak torque, this is also the point where an engine is most likely to detonate. Running a centrifugal at the same peak boost as a PD blower makes a huge difference on how much max boost and timing you could run on a fixed octane fuel.

Example: You run 12psi centrifugal, and you make 12psi only at redline, however you make about 7psi at peak VE, which is where the motor is most likely to detonate.

You run 12psi PD blower, and by peak torque you are already making the full 12PSI.

Does this sound like the same thing to you? lol

I will not discuss this with you anymore on the thread, you hacked the thread, you're trying to school me on my descision and didnt even answer the simple question I asked in the OP.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:20 PM   #56
ayousef

Quote:
Watch their video about it... It says that you will be able to adjust boost on the fly... weather that means you can adjust it just before a takeoff or if it will gradually change, I don't know... I am hoping for it gradually changing if you want it to.
I read, and its amazing it adjusts pulley size on the fly based on RPM, so it would overspin the blower at lower RPMS to produce boost, and then gradually underspin as revs go up to maintain a fixed boost level.

Its very interesting, however I would like to see it in action first, and not sure what is the power capability of this blower, and the life-span and maintenance required etc...