Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 11-20-2011, 07:21 AM   #1
Jonny

Drives: 2011 2LT RS Convertible Camaro
GPS Stolen

Well, it finally happened. Went to a restaurant last night, and for the first time in forever, I actually took my GPS off my windshield (it's mounted right in the middle, directly above the center channel speaker) and put it in the center console. When I got back, my sunscreen was sitting in the passenger seat, which I thought was odd. Opened the console to get my GPS, and it was gone.

I guess someone saw the empty GPS mount and figured it must be in the car. Funny thing is, if anything's funny about it, that they didn't take the $200 iPod Touch or the $160 Maui Jim sunglasses that were right there with it.

Clearly, this is my fault for leaving it in the car w/ the top down, but it got me to thinking about the iPod, specifically. It's pretty much always in there. So, what do you guys do when you leave your car somewhere to go eat/shop/whatever? Do you always put your top up? Do you always take out your iPod/MP3/whatever? Do you always remove and lock up your GPS?

Maybe I'll finally switch my music over to a thumbdrive. Maybe I won't replace the Garmin and I'll just use OnStar. Even though that's $300 a year, it can't be stolen. (Well, not easily).

It could have been a lot worse, but it still sucks. Don't want it to happen again...
2011 "Victory Red" Camaro 2LT Convertible RS • Custom Painted "Corvette Black" Racing Stripes • SLP Rear Quarter Gill Graphics • Painted Engine Cover • EmblemPros Underhood Bowtie • River City Creations Custom Painted Bowties • Vararam Intake • JDP V6 VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Hypertech Max Energy Programming • ******** Large Sub Enclosure • 10" DC Sound Labs Level Four Subwoofer • Sundown SAX-1200d Amp • 2SSRS Rear View Backup Camera Kit
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:53 AM   #2
woodj

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT Vert
I always put the top up. It always amazes me to some really nice Mercedes or whatever sitting in a restaurant parking lot with the top down. It's just part of the whole decline of morals these days. A lot of people just don't have any. Sorry your GPS got stolen.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:55 AM   #3
Maxspeed
~COTW 6/30/14~

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS
Sorry about that. I never stick mine on the window, I just lay it on my lap or cup holder and pick it up to view it. And I put it away just before I arrive at my destination so no one sees me hiding it.

Did you know you can back up your Garmin favorites to your PC? It is just like any usb device. Put it in and navigate to the folder called "Garmin" Inside that is a folder "GPX". That is all of your favorites. Just copy it to your PC and when you buy a new Garmin copy that folder back. A little late now, but I had to replace mine and it worked fine.
Mods: Heritage Grill, Blade Spoiler, Corrado Hoodliner Mural, Premium Engine Boxes, Radiator Shroud, Custom Painted Bowties, Dipstick & Engine Caps, RX Catch Can, Corsa cat back exhaust, CAI black powder coat cold air, Apex cold air intake scoop and Apex washer tank relocate kit, Dynatech SuperMAXX Ceramic Coated LT Headers, High Flow Cats, JRE470 Rough Idle Cam Package, DSS 1,000 RWHP Axels, Slowhawk Mustang Dyno Tune, QTP QTEC 66 Low Profile Cutouts and iTSX. 453 RWHP 427 RWTQ

WEB LINKS
BUILD
TIMING CHAIN FAILURE
TRANSITION FROM STOCK TO CAM VID
Maxspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
I always leave the top down... unless ifs a mall or somewhere for a long period.

That said- I don't keep anything of value inside the car. At most, I have my sun pass transponder in the glove box which I leave locked. Nothing but my USB, sunblock and a few pens in my center console box...

I also use a "Club" on the steering wheel... not that it'd stop a determined thief, but maybe the average hooligan or give the notion the cars secured and they'd move to the next.

Seriously considering one of this proximity sensors that yells at ppl to get away... won't stop anyone but maybe a detour ant.
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
modawg2k

Drives: Topless 2SS/RS IOM
Sorry to hear about that. Just throw everything into the glove box and lock if it you have to leave the top down.
modawg2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 10:47 AM   #6
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
No trunk ?

I just put my lap top in the trunk.Gps in the glove box which I will quit doing now.I know it's another step (pain) but these day's you know it is just going to get worse! LOW LIFE'S with no respect.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
Convert-11

Drives: 2011 Convertible Camaro 2SS/RS Auto
I will put the windows up. They will either have to climb in or unlock/open the doors, which will activate the alarm. I know it's not much of a deterant, but it will draw attention.
Convert-11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:05 AM   #8
GnyaTek

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Vert
I put items of small value in the glove box and lock it (though it can be pried open pretty easily by a determined thief. Or I put items in the trunk and lock the doors (deactivating the trunk release switch on driver's door).
GnyaTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:17 AM   #9
chopper

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss convertible
I just put the top up I don't trust anyone these days plus this car attracts as much attention as a Lamborghini sometimes lol
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:57 AM   #10
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
I just park next to the most expensive car around and hopefully they will go after that one honestly I try an put up the top. My iPhone is my gps and my music so it goes with me all the time. I have a proclip dock on the console making this a no brainer.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:33 AM   #11
Jonny

Drives: 2011 2LT RS Convertible Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutbutt View Post
I just park next to the most expensive car around and hopefully they will go after that one honestly I try an put up the top. My iPhone is my gps and my music so it goes with me all the time. I have a proclip dock on the console making this a no brainer.
I have the proclip too... And an iPhone4S. I'm thinking, very seriously, about using the iPhone as my GPS from now on... The MotionX app is very slick, and only like $10 a year.

Do you power the iPhone while it' sin the proclip? I was thinking about getting one w/ the passthrough dock and hardwiring it to the cigarette lighter that's right there. Or rerouting the PDIM to that area... What are you doing?
2011 "Victory Red" Camaro 2LT Convertible RS • Custom Painted "Corvette Black" Racing Stripes • SLP Rear Quarter Gill Graphics • Painted Engine Cover • EmblemPros Underhood Bowtie • River City Creations Custom Painted Bowties • Vararam Intake • JDP V6 VMAX Ported Throttle Body • Hypertech Max Energy Programming • ******** Large Sub Enclosure • 10" DC Sound Labs Level Four Subwoofer • Sundown SAX-1200d Amp • 2SSRS Rear View Backup Camera Kit
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #12
Lightrider

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 Hurst Convertible
Top up or down...it depends on how long away and where I'll be in relation to the car. I grab my ipod and throw it in the glove box and lock it when I do leave it top down.

I'm probably less concerned about someone trying to break into glove box than someone being an AHole and messing with the interior...
Lightrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:21 PM   #13
ECCamaro
High Desert Camaro Man

Drives: White Convertible-Tan Top 2SS V8
Always put the top up no matter how long you will be gone. You can always put it back down again within minutes. Also the cover does not take that long to put back on.

Also on a side note: I just love all of the "dog" avatars people have!
ECCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:05 AM   #14
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
For a quick in and out, if I am going to be seated at a restaurant/bar where I can keep an eye on Ginger, or if I'm parked right up front in a nice neighborhood I'll leave the top down.

Only thing of value in my console is my Ipod touch (which I don't really care for). People still use stand alone GPSs? I hard wired my Droid Bionic navigation mount into my overhead console and Google maps is far better than any GPS I have ever seen (plus it's FREE).

I did get a horrible sinking feeling at the Texas Camaro Nationals this year when I walked out of the hotel and the Camaro right next to Ginger had been hit. Busted a window out just to get a GPS.

SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote