Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 03-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #1
live2well

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS A6
predator VS. vectormotor

What are the pros and cons to either tune? Is one better than the other or is it just a matter of preference. NO BASHING PLZ.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:58 PM   #2
06MonteSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Monte Carlo SS
Predator/Trinity allows you to restore your original stock tune at any time, allowing you to take your car in for dealer service work and not have any warranty issues, since it's tune flash is undetectable.

Predator/Trinity allows you to make changes/adjustments to your tune yourself, as you add/change mods to your vehicle.

Predator/Trinity allows you to get and store up to 5 custom tunes in it, so you could have different tunes for different setups if you wanted, and switch from one tune to another at any time.

Predator/Trinity allows you to do extensive data logging, trouble code scanning, and code clearing.

Trinity has a virtual drag tree performance monitor.
06MonteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:49 PM   #3
Mike@DS

Drives: 99 Z28
Trinity Pros:

accepts two (2) 0-5V analog inputs

*supports hundreds of vehicles in one part number (not just GM!)

*can calculate 0-60, 0-100, 1/8th and 1/4 mile times, along with MPH and reaction time off the drag tree if you desire

*will be expanded in the future to support serial inputs and SD card support

*will allow you to save multiple datalogs for HOURS of logging

*is internet updateable

*has a full color, touch screen

*has a built in, user adjustable, LED shift light

*allows user to configure multiple LED gauge alarms
Mike@DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:55 PM   #4
1stGM

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS M6
Had them both....

Started with the Predator. Then went to the Vectormotorsports tune and didn't look back. The Vector tune is custom to YOUR mods, and if needed, you can return to the stock tune in 5 minutes... Datalogging ability, FREE updates to your tune if you add mods down the road.... Want to add a Supercharger? Tune is free...

Not to mention, if you have the A6 trans, the stage 2 TCM tune is out of this world....
Old 03-04-2010, 03:11 PM   #5
Mike@DS

Drives: 99 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stGM View Post
Had them both....

Started with the Predator. Then went to the Vectormotorsports tune and didn't look back. The Vector tune is custom to YOUR mods, and if needed, you can return to the stock tune in 5 minutes... Datalogging ability, FREE updates to your tune if you add mods down the road.... Want to add a Supercharger? Tune is free...

Not to mention, if you have the A6 trans, the stage 2 TCM tune is out of this world....
You do know the Predator and Trinity support custom tuning as well, right?

Vortech, ProCharger, Kenne Bell, Turbonetics, all use CMR to create tunes for their various kits and ship them with a Predator for plug and play performance.

TCM is on the way too....
Mike@DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:13 PM   #6
Ripptide56

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06MonteSS View Post
Predator/Trinity allows you to restore your original stock tune at any time, allowing you to take your car in for dealer service work and not have any warranty issues, since it's tune flash is undetectable.

Predator/Trinity allows you to make changes/adjustments to your tune yourself, as you add/change mods to your vehicle.

Predator/Trinity allows you to get and store up to 5 custom tunes in it, so you could have different tunes for different setups if you wanted, and switch from one tune to another at any time.

Predator/Trinity allows you to do extensive data logging, trouble code scanning, and code clearing.

Trinity has a virtual drag tree performance monitor.
So if I tune with the Predator and need to go back to stock for warranty issue's the dealer wont see it?
Ripptide56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:18 PM   #7
06MonteSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Monte Carlo SS
correct... you do the "restore original backup" process, and you're good to go...
06MonteSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #8
1stGM

Drives: IOM 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@Diablosport View Post
You do know the Predator and Trinity support custom tuning as well, right?

Vortech, ProCharger, Kenne Bell, Turbonetics, all use CMR to create tunes for their various kits and ship them with a Predator for plug and play performance.

TCM is on the way too....

Yes, I am well aware of that. I went this route when I had my Procharged Challenger... However, the custom tune is not included, and the cost should be added to the original cost of the Predator/Trinity... that, along with the TCM support from Vector, made the Vector much more cost effective....
Old 03-04-2010, 04:39 PM   #9
kelley@vectormotorsports

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
We have unparalleled transmission support right now. Check the G8 forums, same transmission & same calibration and over 600 under our belt.

With our system you can return to stock any time you want. Also, you can have UNLIMITED calibrations for your car. Updates are free for as long as you own your car.

I saved the best for last, we have specific CAI calibrations for most every CAI on the market. There is no such thing as a generic CAI calibration. You tell us the CAI you have and we have a specific calibration for that exact one. Add headers, we have a specific calibration for ARH, Stainless Works & Kooks also. Decide to add one of our cam packages, we have a specific calibration for those also.

You can log data and check and clear codes. We have done all of the work for you through 100's of hours of dyno testing on multiple vehicles with most every combination of mods you can think of. This is all we do, ONLY late model GM vehicles. Period.
kelley@vectormotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #10
Ripptide56

Drives: 2018 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06MonteSS View Post
correct... you do the "restore original backup" process, and you're good to go...
Thanks!
Ripptide56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:15 PM   #11
live2well

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS A6
Kirk are you able to do the simple things like change the cal for wheel size, raise the rev limiter, and speed limiter?
Old 03-05-2010, 08:44 AM   #12
SS Drifter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
I would be interested to learning more about the data logging capabilities of both the Trinity and Vector. I have a Vector tune on my L99 and I like the added performance. However, speaking as a complete newbie, I think the tune may benefit from some data logging and personized adjustments.

A data logger would provide better understanding of tuning. It also seems like monitoring of knock sensing could help screen out the bad gas stations around home. I've been considering a Trinity just for logging but the number of portable gadgets tend to add up. An alternative long term approach might be a carputer with the tuner and logging installed. The VCM scanner is my first choice so far.
SS Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:03 AM   #13
kelley@vectormotorsports

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2well View Post
Kirk are you able to do the simple things like change the cal for wheel size, raise the rev limiter, and speed limiter?
Our tunes come with the RPM limiter optimized and the top speed limiter raised. We can change for wheel size also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Drifter View Post
I would be interested to learning more about the data logging capabilities of both the Trinity and Vector. I have a Vector tune on my L99 and I like the added performance. However, speaking as a complete newbie, I think the tune may benefit from some data logging and personized adjustments.

A data logger would provide better understanding of tuning. It also seems like monitoring of knock sensing could help screen out the bad gas stations around home. I've been considering a Trinity just for logging but the number of portable gadgets tend to add up. An alternative long term approach might be a carputer with the tuner and logging installed. The VCM scanner is my first choice so far.
We have a high speed scanner built into our software. You can read engine parameters and check and clear codes. If you have Excel on your computer the data log will automatically start a macro and import itself into an easy to read format.
kelley@vectormotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:31 PM   #14
94guy

Drives: 99 Camaro; 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
vectormotor,what do you set shift points at on stock L99? that would be my concern if it shifts to early or to late.
94guy is offline   Reply With Quote