Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 04-13-2013, 05:42 PM   #57
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
That and all cars built before 1976 (could be off by a few years) had much thicker sheet metal on the body panels than cars nowadays. Ever try denting a 1950's Chevelle? You could take a bat to it and not leave a dent.

My cousin's 1980s Toyota pickup jumped out of gear and rolled down a hill into the back of my 1970 Buick one day

He needed a new grille and bumper. I only needed to get a Toyota off my car to make my car look like nothing had happened. That rear bumper is like a brick wall

But I wouldn't ever try denting a 1950's Chevelle. I'd be in violation of some universal laws of time
Old 04-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #58
Learjetguru

Drives: 2011 2SS LS3
I am 50 plus years old, And I think 18 year old is plenty old to drive a hi performance vehicle. This is why.. My first car was a 69 Camaro at age 15 with a 6 cylinder, no posi, and a powerglide trans ( 2 gears). The same car 1 year later 16 year old driver 327, 4 speed, 4:11 posi. Age 17 ,, Lazar stage3 Nitrous oxide kit 9.4 quarter mile time @140 and this was back in 1979 when air bags, nannies, traction assist computer, did not exist. Now it probably not for every 18 year old. But for some it is .. just my $.02

Learjetguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #59
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjetguru View Post
I am 50 plus years old, And I think 18 year old is plenty old to drive a hi performance vehicle. This is why.. My first car was a 69 Camaro at age 15 with a 6 cylinder, no posi, and a powerglide trans ( 2 gears). The same car 1 year later 16 year old driver 327, 4 speed, 4:11 posi. Age 17 ,, Lazar stage3 Nitrous oxide kit 9.4 quarter mile time @140 and this was back in 1979 when air bags, nannies, traction assist computer, did not exist. Now it probably not for every 18 year old. But for some it is .. just my $.02
And let me guess, again not trying to bash - just playing devil's advocate, you never once had a close call that made you go "what the hell was I thinking" - right?
Old 04-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #60
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
That and all cars built before 1976 (could be off by a few years) had much thicker sheet metal on the body panels than cars nowadays. Ever try denting a 1950's Chevelle? You could take a bat to it and not leave a dent.
Chevelles weren't made until the 1964 model year, so it would be impossible to dent a 50's Chevelle.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #61
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Chevelles weren't made until the 1964 model year, so it would be impossible to dent a 50's Chevelle.
All this talk about Chevelles is making me drool
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #62
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #63
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Haha touché. So how about a '66 Chevelle then? That a better example

And damn, I need to start fact checking before I post a random decade and car model
Old 04-14-2013, 06:39 AM   #64
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBlair View Post
But I wouldn't ever try denting a 1950's Chevelle. I'd be in violation of some universal laws of time
Aw hell, facts are over-rated anyway
Old 04-14-2013, 09:12 AM   #65
Learjetguru

Drives: 2011 2SS LS3
Quote:
And let me guess, again not trying to bash - just playing devil's advocate, you never once had a close call that made you go "what the hell was I thinking" - right?
OF course, Life's experiences are the best teacher

Learjetguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #66
66olds442
Born Olds, Living Chevy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS: VR A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalimus View Post
TBH that's not a good analogy at all, but to answer your question... the 40 year old. Specops or not, there is no amount of experience with a firearm that the 21 year old will have that will trump 19 more years of firearm experience. He/she might have some talents or training the older person might not have, but time behind a firearm... not even close. People are delusional about specops teams. They get a lot of training, but it's not all firearms training. What makes them good is their teamwork, planning, controlling their emotions, and ability to adapt... not their proficiency with a firearm. Additionally, we're talking about driving, and a 21 year old is night and day from a 16-18 year old (the age group I specifically mentioned). Apples to oranges my friend.

But yes, when it comes to a skill like driving, experience trumps all. If you truly wish to nitpick, yes it matters what kind of experience for certain things. For example a 40 year old that has never been off roading will get stuck where a 20 year old that has been doing it since they were 16 will likely not. But without knowing anything about either of them, I'm statistically more safe riding with the 40 year old.
There really is no convincing you.... well it's okay because that's YOUR opinion. Again experience trumps age. Age is just a number, experience (especially the type of experience) is what really matters when it comes to anything.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #67
IBM

Drives: '11 2LT/RS IBM
I'm just gonna say this. I'm 17, and you could call me "dumb and spoiled" with "rich yuppie parents", but I know how to respect the things I have. Yes, my parents bought me my car and pay for insurance, but it does not make me respect it any less. I care for my car better than anyone else I personally know. I've educated myself on everything I need in order to keep my car in the best shape I can. So why in the world would I do something stupid that could make me lose my car? I care for my car very much, and am extremely thankful for it. I'm not going to act like I don't speed, but I respect the power the car has. Never have I street raced or "tested the limits" - I'm not stupid.

Don't generalize all teenagers to be disrespectful and unthankful for what they're given, because many of us aren't.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #68
kalimus

Drives: '14 Z51 3LT Stingray and '13 Cruze
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66olds442 View Post
There really is no convincing you.... well it's okay because that's YOUR opinion. Again experience trumps age. Age is just a number, experience (especially the type of experience) is what really matters when it comes to anything.
Because when it comes to driving, experience doesn't come with age right? Those 16-18 year-olds are just drowning in experience. It's not JUST my opinion. It is statistics. It's also... wait for it... experience. I know it. Insurance companies know it. Police know it. Adults (should) know it. This is a reality that a younger crowd needs to accept. Nothing wrong with it. Just the way things are.

"What is a moderate interpretation of the text? Halfway between what it really means and what you'd like it to mean?" -Antonin Scalia
kalimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:57 PM   #69
Kgarner1624

Drives: 13' BRM ZL1 A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBM View Post
I'm just gonna say this. I'm 17, and you could call me "dumb and spoiled" with "rich yuppie parents", but I know how to respect the things I have. Yes, my parents bought me my car and pay for insurance, but it does not make me respect it any less. I care for my car better than anyone else I personally know. I've educated myself on everything I need in order to keep my car in the best shape I can. So why in the world would I do something stupid that could make me lose my car? I care for my car very much, and am extremely thankful for it. I'm not going to act like I don't speed, but I respect the power the car has. Never have I street raced or "tested the limits" - I'm not stupid.

Don't generalize all teenagers to be disrespectful and unthankful for what they're given, because many of us aren't.
Kgarner1624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:05 PM   #70
69Z/28Camaro
Red Big Block Camaro

Drives: 93 C1500, VR Big Block 70 Camaro RS
Im 19 and I have a 1970 Camaro running a 600+ HP big block. My DD is a 93 Chevy with a late 80s Corvette motor so it's no slouch either. I consider myself to be a good driver, so far no wrecks or tickets. When i do get to driving my Camaro, you can bet I'm gonna be safe because 1) It's really nice and the last thing i want to do is hit someone and 2) There's no need to drive like an idiot. I notice a lot of the more sketchy drivers are the guys at my college with the late 90's early '00s Mustangs.
In my opinion, it's more the kid than the car as many people have already said.

Felt like sharing my input because of my age and the fact that I have a wicked Camaro.
my 1970 Camaro RS. Frame off restoration. 600 HP 454 Naturally Aspirated. GM Performance Heads, Comp Mechanical cam, Weiand Stealth Intake, Holley 750 Carb. Hooker and Flowmaster exhaust system. Victory Red paint, True Rally Sport.
69Z/28Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote