Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-31-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
markkk

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LS
shifter problem

I have a 2012 v6 and purchased a hurst short throw shifter to install. I got completely done with installation, no problems, although I have this rattle i cannot figure out.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the shifter, thinking I may have done something wrong, but the rattle still persists. I know for a fact that I followed all the directions and installed everything properly.

The rattle sounds as if its comes from the upper part of the shifter, but I'm not sure. I installed the chrome hurst stick with a v8 pattern ball, because thats what it came with and I thought I would switch the ball out later. But anyways, I already messaged the seller and might just get a complete refund. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice?
Old 09-02-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
bigval11

Drives: Red 2012 Camaro LS
I had the same problem when I installed my shifter. What I did to fix is I removed the console again, took upper chrome stick and lover stick apart and installed 2 insulator rubber liners that came with the kit inbetween the sticks. The liners go where the 2 connecting bolts are. The liners have matching holes for the bolts. Then a tightened the bolts really hard and put the console back together. That took care of the rattle coming out of the knob. A week later I drained the transmission and rear axle gearbox and replaced the fluids with Royal Purple 75w-90 fluid . That smoothed the shifts considerably and removed even more rattle. You wouldn't believe how much cr@p was on the magnetic plugs on both transmission and axle. And my 2 year old car has only 7 thousand miles on it.
bigval11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
markkk

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigval11 View Post
I had the same problem when I installed my shifter. What I did to fix is I removed the console again, took upper chrome stick and lover stick apart and installed 2 insulator rubber liners that came with the kit inbetween the sticks. The liners go where the 2 connecting bolts are. The liners have matching holes for the bolts. Then a tightened the bolts really hard and put the console back together. That took care of the rattle coming out of the knob. A week later I drained the transmission and rear axle gearbox and replaced the fluids with Royal Purple 75w-90 fluid . That smoothed the shifts considerably and removed even more rattle. You wouldn't believe how much cr@p was on the magnetic plugs on both transmission and axle. And my 2 year old car has only 7 thousand miles on it.
Thank you so much for the advice, next time I can, I'm going to do what you said!