Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 01-07-2010, 05:36 AM   #1
Bert
synergy-green with envy

Drives: Cam....ry :-(
Boston Acoustics upgrade - just speakers?

is the Boston Acoustics upgrade simply a speaker swap -- meaning the same number of speakers and the same amplifier, just "better" speakers?

or does the BA upgade also include other things like a more powerful amp and/or more speakers?

(I have been told it is only a change of speakers, nothing else -- want to make sure of that)

wondering about getting a 1LT without the BA upgrade and then upgrading the speakers aftermarket and wondering if I would lose anything

thanks!
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:48 AM   #2
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
It's a speaker upgrade. I have it in my 1SS and with the stereo that is in there, they sound really good to me. I am not an audiophile though, so I cannot tell you how they compare to someone's high end after market set up. I am happy with them though and I think that they are worth the $500.00 that they cost me.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:53 AM   #3
papabearcamaro

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 Z71
You may want to go to a dealer and see if they have one with and one without the upgrade and see if the extra money is worth it or go aftermarket. In my situation,I am not worried about the radio/speakers. All I want to hear is the engine and the tone of the SLP Loudmouth IIs.
SOLD(Traded for 2012 Silverado Z71 4x4 and 2012 Sonic Hatch.)...2010 Camaro 1SS/RS/LS3,yellow with House of Kolor Tangerine Pearl rally stripes,manual trans.Hurst short throw shifter,4 pack rally gauges,Roto-Fab air intake,Kooks long tube headers with high-flow cats,Borla S-Type catback exhaust,Comp Cam,PRC ported heads,Maggie with 3.6 pulley and 1:1 cog drive,secondary fuel system with 65lb injectors,ADM digital A/F and Boost gauge,Pfadt trailing arms and subframe bushings.614.25rwhp/566.82rwtq on 8# of boost.

2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 EX.Cab 4X4 Z71.
papabearcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:55 AM   #4
jimmie.briseno

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
is the Boston Acoustics upgrade simply a speaker swap -- meaning the same number of speakers and the same amplifier, just "better" speakers?

or does the BA upgade also include other things like a more powerful amp and/or more speakers?

(I have been told it is only a change of speakers, nothing else -- want to make sure of that)

wondering about getting a 1LT without the BA upgrade and then upgrading the speakers aftermarket and wondering if I would lose anything

thanks!
with the BA system you are getting 9 speakers instead of the standard 6 speakers and of better quality which match that of aftermarket systems. If you ever wanted to upgrade all you would need to do would be to add an amp and deck and keep the same speakers.
jimmie.briseno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:14 AM   #5
4SD FED

Drives: 2010 rs/ss camaro
I have all the speakers (bostons) that came out of my 2ss
Old 01-07-2010, 06:19 AM   #6
Bert
synergy-green with envy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmie.briseno View Post
with the BA system you are getting 9 speakers instead of the standard 6 speakers and of better quality which match that of aftermarket systems. If you ever wanted to upgrade all you would need to do would be to add an amp and deck and keep the same speakers.
thanks, that is the info I was looking for -- so it is not just the quality of the speakers, but also the number of speakers -- that is important because it is much harder to add speakers than swap out speakers that are already there

what about the amp -- the description says "9 Boston Accoustics speakers with 245 watts" or something like that -- does the standard stereo system have the same 245 watt amp, or is it smaller?

thanks again
Old 01-07-2010, 06:38 AM   #7
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
You are also getting the Amplifier with the BA upgrade. The standard system does not have that amplifier.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:51 AM   #8
Bert
synergy-green with envy

thanks . . . so it sounds like the BA upgrade is well worth the $500, compared to the money, time, hassle and effort that it would take to do it aftermarket. I am not a high-end "audiophile" but would like to have a pretty good system in the car, to go with the sat radio

ps -- by the way, in case y'all didn't already know . . . you can't trust dealers with questions like this, one of they local guys I've been talking with told me specifically that there was no difference between the base system and the BA system except the model of the speakers

Last edited by Bert; 01-07-2010 at 06:53 AM. Reason: ps
Old 01-07-2010, 06:56 AM   #9
4SD FED

Drives: 2010 rs/ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
thanks, that is the info I was looking for -- so it is not just the quality of the speakers, but also the number of speakers -- that is important because it is much harder to add speakers than swap out speakers that are already there

what about the amp -- the description says "9 Boston Accoustics speakers with 245 watts" or something like that -- does the standard stereo system have the same 245 watt amp, or is it smaller?

thanks again
There are 5 speaker location with a total of 9 speakers in the BA system plus an amp. The ones in the door and deck lip count as more than one.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:26 AM   #10
PHEOX

Drives: '06 Jeep Wrangler
The BA is well worth the money. In our Jeep, we have completely replaced the factory set up. I noticed in the Camaro, the BA seems more rich with mids and highs, like they sound fuller compared to the Wrangler. Compare $500 to around $1500 we put into the Jeep, It's the only choice. Boston doesn't distort when you turn your music loud either, which is a HUGE plus.
PHEOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:35 AM   #11
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabearcamaro View Post
You may want to go to a dealer and see if they have one with and one without the upgrade and see if the extra money is worth it or go aftermarket. In my situation,I am not worried about the radio/speakers. All I want to hear is the engine and the tone of the SLP Loudmouth IIs.
ohh yea
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4SD FED View Post
There are 5 speaker location with a total of 9 speakers in the BA system plus an amp. The ones in the door and deck lip count as more than one.
oh wow

Fact of Life:

After Monday and Tuesday
even the calendar reads...
W T F
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:53 AM   #12
eynigush
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SSRS Rally Yellow
Just remember that they count both tweeters as speakers and the 6x9s in the rear deck are a pain in the butt to switch out if you choose to upgrade them.

--Eddie
eynigush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:08 AM   #13
RandyB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6 SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmie.briseno View Post
Yes, the BA system has 9 speakers instead of 6, but they are not better quality than the stock system. Both systems use the same door speakers. The rear speakers are different because the BA system bi-amps the 6x9 coaxials. And...they definitely do not match the quality of aftermarket systems. They advertise the amp as 245 watts, but they are referring to peak power (this is a commonly used trick). The real amp output (RMS) is closer to 10 watts per channel.

The only way to know if the BA system upgrade is worth it to you is to listen to it before you buy. The quality of a sound system is very subjective; if you are accustomed to better SQ, then it will sound bad; if you are accustomed to a stock car radio, then the BA system will sound great. If it sounds good to you, then it is worth the $500, if it does not sound good, then get the base level sound sytem and put the $500 toward an aftermarket upgrade.
RandyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:14 AM   #14
ODB720
ODB720

Drives: BLK 2010 CAMARO SS/RS L99/ls3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4SD FED View Post
YEAP WHAT HE SAID THEY COUNT THE COAX AS 2 SPEAKERS
ODB720 is offline   Reply With Quote