Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-09-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
Malice

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
Shorty Header Showdown?

Jannetty gave us an awsome CAI showdown a few months ago.

Now that the shorty header market is getting larger and larger, I think a shorty header dyno showdown would be awsome. Everybody knows that longtubes are better, but shorties are 50 state legal, they don't mess with your emissions, they can provide power increases, and they can be warranty friendly to a lenient service manager. Furthermore, the install is fairly straightforward.

If a parts supplier were to do a side by side chassis dyno test of shorties, it would be great. JBA, Doug Thorley, edelbrock, and others would all be good contenders.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:19 PM   #2
brAnd7onX

Drives: 2012 1SS IOM
Would be an interesting showdown...
brAnd7onX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:01 PM   #3
fldrummer
"Black Ace"

Drives: Supercharged 2010 SS, 2016 Golf R
I'm curious to see how the DT & Edelbrock shorties compare, not to mention it would be nice to see dyno sheets from an independent shop.
fldrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:16 PM   #4
ZZcamaro

Drives: 2SS w/ ZZ427 Package!!
I personally am not a big fan of going forward with this test...

I do appreciate and respect the work that was done for the CAI test, but in my opinion, and I am not alone in this, it was WAY off. I have installed and witnessed dyno-testing/tuning with various CAI setups, and none of them were near the numbers of the CAI test.

I am nto trying to start a pissing match or anything. I just do not think that it was nearly as helpful as folks thought it was going to be, nor as accurate.

My personal example would be that I have test various Roto-Fab intakes and they all gained 5HP or more with no tuning, and 15HP with tuning...the test said 1HP for Roto, so I am skeptikal
ZZcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 02:21 PM   #5
towmoe

Drives: IBM 2010 Camaro
I personally would like to see the test. I've heard anywhere from 0 - 20 HP gains and I would really like to know what numbers are the most accurate before I go out and purchase any.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
g-townmach
I FARTED

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
I'd like to see the test not for the gain/loss numbers but for the notes that Jennetty provided when they did the CAI test. Like fitment, instructions, temperatures, tuning issues, etc. The dyno #'s shouldn't be looked too seriously at because every car is different and every dyno situation is different (parameters, air temp and humidity, etc)
Old 01-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
Malice

Drives: 2022 Camaro 2SS 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-townmach View Post
I'd like to see the test not for the gain/loss numbers but for the notes that Jennetty provided when they did the CAI test. Like fitment, instructions, temperatures, tuning issues, etc. The dyno #'s shouldn't be looked too seriously at because every car is different and every dyno situation is different (parameters, air temp and humidity, etc)
That is exactly why I want to see the test. Since everyone in the performance industry refuses to use SAE correction factors for non-standard atmopherics, a test with a constant control would be the next logical explanation.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:59 AM   #8
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
Something else too I just realized is that both DT and JBA shorties are 1 3/4" tubes and Edelbrock and Borla shorties are 1 5/8". On a stock engine with no tune it would be very interesting to see what the size does for performance.
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:36 AM   #9
madmaxx18

Drives: 07_tundra/08_zo6
I am pretty sure he put peak gains at 4-5 for roto fab with an average increase through the power band at 1 hp. So he is is not wrong plus He did rwhp gains not crank gains like some people.
madmaxx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:37 AM   #10
BabyHauler

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS 6M
I think this would be a GREAT idea. I am stuck in California therefore LTs are a no go for me for now.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:04 PM   #11
2010 4 DW
Account Suspended

Drives: White 2010 RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD View Post
Something else too I just realized is that both DT and JBA shorties are 1 3/4" tubes and Edelbrock and Borla shorties are 1 5/8". On a stock engine with no tune it would be very interesting to see what the size does for performance.
1 3/4 is the correct size for these engines. 6.2L needs a larger tube and the heads flow very well on these cars.

1 5/8 was the correct size for 300hp engines and these make much more than that.

Just my o2
2010 4 DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 05:37 PM   #12
carguy
Carguy

Drives: 57Chevy,67,80,2@10's camaro's,04SSR
Gotta loosen up the exhaust before CIA's will help much. IMO

The weakest link I have found is the restrictive exhaust manifolds and cats.

I admit I don't have any Dyno numbers to prove it, but I have got 2, 2SS Camaro's admitedly one is an L99 the other LS3 ( Both supercharged) but before supercharging my LS3 I put LT's, hi flow cats and exhuast on and man did it wake that car right up.

My L99 is just Cat back exhuast and I can just tell it isn't flowing air like it needs too.

Just not the throttle response and smoothness all the way through RPM range.

Again...My dislaimer is ,I know I am not comparing apples to apples by any stretch of the imagination, since both cars are supercharged and different engines, but I also have several friends with many different combo's on their cars and our consenses is....

Which again , is not based on Facts ...just experience and bench racing over a few beers is....

The first thing to do is get some air outa that engine, any way you can. It is a giant airpump and the more air you flow the better.

CAI only helps, or should I say Helps most, if you can move that air through the engine. If you have looked at the Factory Exhaust manifolds...actually held them in your hands and Looked at them. It is obvious, you gotta let some air out of those engines and they will respond in Kind.

Again, this post is only based on My personal opinion and experience along with the experience of others in my circle of Camaro owners.

I appoligize for the lack of Technical info to back it up...No Chassis Dyno's in my neck of the woods.

I would love to see some facts on this subject because. LT's aren't for everybody.

I will be adding something to the L99 and I haven't decided to go with LT's again or Shorties. But I do know one thing. If you open up the exhaust side of either of these Engines LS3 or L99 it will pay dividends in Throttle response and overall performance.

Best Bang for the Buck I think

I know this is magnified by the supercharger as it pumps a great deal more air, but even before I bolted them on, I could tell a big difference.

JMHO..... 33 years of building and modifying cars and motors.( as a Hobby not a professional by any means ,so keep that in mind).

Just one mans opinion speaking from my personal experience. Did I say... I Love suoerchargers.

Would love to hear from others on their personal experience on the shorties

Good Luck and God Speed.
carguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:18 PM   #13
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
Anyone know the size of the exhaust ports on the LS3/L99?
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:21 AM   #14
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZcamaro View Post
I personally am not a big fan of going forward with this test...

I do appreciate and respect the work that was done for the CAI test, but in my opinion, and I am not alone in this, it was WAY off. I have installed and witnessed dyno-testing/tuning with various CAI setups, and none of them were near the numbers of the CAI test.

I am nto trying to start a pissing match or anything. I just do not think that it was nearly as helpful as folks thought it was going to be, nor as accurate.

My personal example would be that I have test various Roto-Fab intakes and they all gained 5HP or more with no tuning, and 15HP with tuning...the test said 1HP for Roto, so I am skeptikal
You should question your Reading Skills before you question my CAI results, and you should go back and re read the Spread sheet, Rotofab gained 5.4 RWHP and 7.5 RWTQ.

What your doing by saying something like this is Poison to he Community.

Last edited by JANNETTYRACING; 01-14-2010 at 08:48 AM.
JANNETTYRACING is online now   Reply With Quote