Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 12-15-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
AZ MSCL

Drives: 2009 Challenger RT, 2010 Mustang GT
Z28: Myth or Reality?

I keep reading about the Z28 being in the works or on the drawing board. Does anyone know FOR SURE if this car is going to be made? What it looks like? How much it will cost? When it will be produced?

If it's for real, I think I might try to talk my wife into selling the Mustang. On the other hand, the 2010 Mustang GT is really nice and I'm thinking of dropping a Ford Racing supercharger in it (resulting in either 400 rwhp or 475 rwhp). It would cost between $5000 to $7000 (installed). I suppose it will be her decision ultimately. My wife has always been a Camaro girl (except for the 2010).

Please note: I'm NOT trying to stir up a debate about her choice of the Mustang over the Camaro - please don't start flaming her decision or how the Mustang sucks. Anyway, if anyone has accurate info on the Z28, to include HP ratings (rear wheel), please post-up! Thanks.

AZ MSCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
Scrapppy666

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black/Black
yep here it is...

truth is.... no one will ever know!!!

Pittsburgh Automotive Photography
Black on Black 2SS/RS w/ white stripes Dynomax 3" Bullet Catback, CAI Cold Air Intake
Scrapppy666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:42 PM   #3
Allanski

Drives: Car
GM is not responding quick enough to customer demand, this has happened all to often in the past. I really hate to say that I find Chrysler with the Challenger and Ford with Mustang got to the market to serve the wants of the public. Hey lets face it - he who sells first sells most, most of the time!

So we need to let the General know we want Z28 and Convertibles now, not in 2 years. In 2 years I would be buying my next Z28 or Convertible.

GM get in the race or pull over and let others pass you by, please dont disappoint the dedicated Z and vert fans!
Allanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:47 PM   #4
AZ MSCL

Drives: 2009 Challenger RT, 2010 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapppy666 View Post
yep here it is...

truth is.... no one will ever know!!!
Now is this a concept car pic or the real thing? Is it going to be made and if so, when?

AZ MSCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:48 PM   #5
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allanski View Post
GM is not responding quick enough to customer demand, this has happened all to often in the past. I really hate to say that I find Chrysler with the Challenger and Ford with Mustang got to the market to serve the wants of the public. Hey lets face it - he who sells first sells most, most of the time!

So we need to let the General know we want Z28 and Convertibles now, not in 2 years. In 2 years I would be buying my next Z28 or Convertible.

GM get in the race or pull over and let others pass you by, please dont disappoint the dedicated Z and vert fans!
I think you'd be a lot more disappointed with it when you receive it early but the engine explodes due to poor R&D. Let them take their time. They have good reason to do so.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:

this probably coming from someone that knows nothing of the development of a car.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 09:59 PM   #7
tru imperial blu
4 8 15 16 23 42

Drives: ibm 1lt/rs
mythrality
tru imperial blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:00 PM   #8
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ MSCL View Post
Now is this a concept car pic or the real thing? Is it going to be made and if so, when?
that's someones photoshop. like has been said there's been no official word. but with so much rumor mill going on about it. It must be real.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:01 PM   #9
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
It will be at least a year behind the convertible, and it won't be cheap. but it will be fast!
Old 12-15-2009, 10:16 PM   #10
Ravirn
Account Unaccounted for

Drives: Black SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
this probably coming from someone that knows nothing of the development of a car.
Engine development sucks up a huge amount of time! Well said.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:55 PM   #11
Deebo
2SS/1LE GAZ 1 of 221

Drives: 2013 1LE
(?) The local dealership swears I get the first one they get, however...
Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:59 AM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ MSCL View Post
I keep reading about the Z28 being in the works or on the drawing board. Does anyone know FOR SURE if this car is going to be made? Yes, there are people who know for sure if it is going to be made. What it looks like? They probably know that too. How much it will cost? That gets decided a few months before its released. When it will be produced not for a while?

Anyway, if anyone has accurate info on the Z28, to include HP ratings (rear wheel), please post-up! Thanks. The engine has not been made definate yet, so we don't even know the crank numbers. How could it be possible to provide wheel numbers on a car that does not currently exist?
Those are the facts. Anything beyond that is speculation, though there is a good chance it will cost about $50,000, outhandle any Mustang you can buy from Ford, and have a 550+ hp engine.

Quote:

In case you didn't notice, GM's had a bit of a money problem lately. That slows down the development of low volume niche vehicles. On top of that there was the supplier for the convertible mechanism that went bankrupt forcing GM to find a new one.

At any rate, you can call them, write them a letter, show up at their corporate office, anything you want to get the message to them that you want those cars NOW and it won't do a thing to speed up the process. It is a massive cost to hurry the development of something ahead of its current schedule. Delays and catch-up bursts are costly enough as is, but cutting the remaining timeline by 50%? I wouldn't be surprised if it cost more than they would profit by selling those cars.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #13
ROD1
Retired

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS V6 #1301 DOB 3/23/09
Ya think they will just drop a supercharger on a ss and call it a z28?
?
ROD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 05:51 PM   #14
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROD1 View Post
Ya think they will just drop a supercharger on a ss and call it a z28?
?
absolutely not. That goes completely against what the Z28 means to nearly everyone. For the Z28, handling was the primary concern followed by power. Simply adding a supercharger would be more in-line with a ZL1 or SS nameplate than Z28.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot pockets, z28