Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-16-2010, 03:45 PM   #15
Sax1031

Drives: 2000 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010-1SS-IBM View Post
Wouldn't a supercharged 5.0 Mach1 directly compete with the GT-500?
What gets crazy is that the GT350 is probably going to make close to the power that the GT500 makes.
Sax1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:13 PM   #16
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
Unless GM had inside info into the Boss specs, I would assume that they were going after the GT500 with the Z-28. It would be nice to see the Z-28 as a road racer, and then do a COPO or a Trans-Am. Yes I know that Pontiac is dead, but they could bring it out as a limited edition.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:05 PM   #17
Blizzard
Searching for the truth

Drives: 85 K-10, 13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
While there's no arguing your point about weight over the nose, I'd encourage you to have a look at several member's SC'd SSs here. Considering there are SSs here that are running faster times at some tracks than stock Z06s, I'd say that there is potential; you just gotta' tune it there
There is no denying what has been done and the amount of great products out there and if given a dry sump system, the much lower center of gravity would almost cancel out the extra weight but this all comes with a bigger price tag. I just think it would be a much easier sale for to the gp if a smaller but large output motor was used. If given in the neighborhood of 450 horses and a stiffer suspension, it may not roll out from the factory beating Z06's around some tracks but would be more well rounded for all road courses and would leave the buyer with more money to buy aftermarket parts to increase the performance if wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derklug View Post
Unless GM had inside info into the Boss specs, I would assume that they were going after the GT500 with the Z-28. It would be nice to see the Z-28 as a road racer, and then do a COPO or a Trans-Am. Yes I know that Pontiac is dead, but they could bring it out as a limited edition.
I am sure GM saw the Boss 302 coming when the 5.0 was first spotted in testing as did many people.

It would be nice to see a Trans-Am or a Firebird for that matter but sadly GM killed both Pontiac and Saturn years ago when they couldn't decide in which direction to go with the brands. This is sad because when they did finally choose the direction for them and give them some identity again it looked very promising but by then it was too late.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:46 PM   #18
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax1031 View Post
What gets crazy is that the GT350 is probably going to make close to the power that the GT500 makes.
Why would you even bring a GT350 into this equation? It's not a Ford factory offering, therefore there is no issue with it stepping on the toes of anything FMC produces.

In any case, it looks like GM is still going to have a gap to fill in 2012, even with the Z28 being released.

GT500---------------------------Z28
Boss 302-------------------------????
Mustang GT----------------------Camaro SS
Mustang GT convertible-----------Camaro SS convertible
Base Mustang--------------------Base Camaro
Base Mustang convertible---------Base Camaro convertible
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:54 PM   #19
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by garagelogic View Post
Why would you even bring a GT350 into this equation? It's not a Ford factory offering, therefore there is no issue with it stepping on the toes of anything FMC produces.

In any case, it looks like GM is still going to have a gap to fill in 2012, even with the Z28 being released.

GT500---------------------------Z28
Boss 302-------------------------????
Mustang GT----------------------Camaro SS
Mustang GT convertible-----------Camaro SS convertible
Base Mustang--------------------Base Camaro
Base Mustang convertible---------Base Camaro convertible
But is it important? Isn't the Mach 1 coming, too? Personally - I don't care to see an IROC, lol, or anything like that, but I certainly believe GM shouldn't limit potential sales. That BOSS isn't just a package like the older Bullets were - this is a complete car so far as I can tell. Ford's being very deliberate with it. With GM just kinda' getting back into this race, I'm not sure it's too good an idea to try to spread CAMARO's line-up too thin.

JMVHO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #20
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
No, from the folks I've spoken to who have insight into such things, there is no Mach 1 version coming, at least not anytime soon. I'm pretty sure the '03-'04 Mach's will have to do for now. Maybe on the new platform, but not likely on the current one.
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote