Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 10-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #15

Drives: Getaway Special
I wouldn't doubt it! And there is still time to tweak before the mags get a hold of it. The Z/28 has some damn guts that's for sure. A little tune for added HP is certainly going to be available. And, all that comes with the 100,000 mile warranty! Amazing!
Old 10-22-2013, 04:00 PM   #16
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
I would think the added downforce on the Z/28 is a penalizing factor on top end speed but a positive factor everywhere else with ferocious grip and handling stability that gives it the edge as compared to the ZL1.

Last edited by RLHMARINES; 10-22-2013 at 04:32 PM.
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #17
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcroft View Post
It's gonna be a HP bump too but Chevy is under-rating it. Open element K&N intake, tri-y shorty manifolds and electric power steering. From my '12-'13 Camaro LS3 cars the electric power steering variable showed up as 20 HP on a dyno. All my power mods were swapped at trade-in and 2nd dyno was in warmer weather. Chevrolet is down playing it by rating it at only 11 more TQ.
There is no way that a modern power steering pump is 20 hp. Not at all. Especially when you aren't actually turning the wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
Better flowing exhaust is probably the biggest change.
Agreed
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayousef View Post
interesting, so is compression ratio the same? Remember they said at least 505bhp, I think its closer to 550bhp but I'm still surprised it couldn't go past 161mph it seemed to be stuck there on the straight.
I believe they said 'at least 500 hp', maybe they used 505. Even if they did say 'at least 505' then when it actually does make 505, well they're still ok ... because 'at least' means 'equal to or greater than'

The Z/28 is SAE certified at 505 hp & 481 ft-lbs. You can't under-rate an engine by 10% and maintain SAE certification on it. The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) probably wouldn't take too kindly to that. Additionally, the Z/28 hits its power and torque peak at different RPMs than the Z06 does. That doesn't happen if you're just giving placeholder numbers.

As for the 161 mph ... let me put it this way: would you be willing to take a prototype car past 161 mph on one of the worlds deadliest tracks, in the rain?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #18
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...without delving much into the thread, answering the OP's Q I would safely say the tri-y headers, CAI, and exhaust system comprise the gain.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #19
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
Is it at least 505 hp or is officially 505 hp?
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #20
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post
Is it at least 505 hp or is officially 505 hp?
Officially 505 SAE certified hp, as per the press release GM issued at the same time as they gave out the Nurburgring video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM
The heart of the Z/28 is the 7.0L LS7 engine. The LS7 uses lightweight, racing-proven, high-performance components, such as titanium intake valves and connecting rods, CNC-ported aluminum cylinder heads and a forged-steel crankshaft to help produce an SAE-certified 505 horsepower (376 kW) and 481 lb-ft of torque (652 Nm)
http://media.gm.com/content/media/us...rburgring.html
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 12-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #21
Unobtainium
Fabricator

Drives: 2011 2SS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
There is no way that a modern power steering pump is 20 hp. Not at all. Especially when you aren't actually turning the wheel.

Agreed

I believe they said 'at least 500 hp', maybe they used 505. Even if they did say 'at least 505' then when it actually does make 505, well they're still ok ... because 'at least' means 'equal to or greater than'

The Z/28 is SAE certified at 505 hp & 481 ft-lbs. You can't under-rate an engine by 10% and maintain SAE certification on it. The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) probably wouldn't take too kindly to that. Additionally, the Z/28 hits its power and torque peak at different RPMs than the Z06 does. That doesn't happen if you're just giving placeholder numbers.

As for the 161 mph ... let me put it this way: would you be willing to take a prototype car past 161 mph on one of the worlds deadliest tracks, in the rain?
Recently I would have agreed, but clearly this isn't true of all cars.
Local guy bought a gt500, ran it on 2 different dyno's bone stock. Big numbers.
600 on the dyno jet, can't remember the other one. Got tired of the terrible tranny, sold it and got brand new ZR1. Took to same 2 dyno's. The power difference was way over 28hp. I think it was 40. Head scratcher, but my guess is that 600whp doesn't equal 660 SAE...
393whp L99
GPI VVT Turbo Cam-in
Unobtainium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:28 AM   #22
2012 Mustang GT

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT, 1998 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtainium View Post
600 on the dyno jet, can't remember the other one. Got tired of the terrible tranny, sold it and got brand new ZR1. Took to same 2 dyno's. The power difference was way over 28hp. I think it was 40. Head scratcher, but my guess is that 600whp doesn't equal 660 SAE...
Different dynos, even the same dyno on different days can make a difference in power numbers. And most people will say drivetrain loss on a manual car is anywhere between 10-15%. At 10% of 662 would be right around 600 RWHP on the GT500. Dyno's are just a tuning tool...the correction factor can be manipulated to show anything. Hence when the 2011 5.0 came out they had the online dyno showing 395 RWHP which everyone knows was high
2012 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:07 PM   #23
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
take it to a dragstrip and make a few passes and get the mph

enter it into to a calculator (google search plenty are out there) and come up with an idea of how much hp you are making

Cheapest dyno by a long shot.

And if you can get a DA reading you can get an even better idea of hp
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #24
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unobtainium View Post
There are a dozen different factors that can vary from one dyno to the next. What type of dyno is it, how old/well maintained is it, when was it last calibrated, what is the operator like, what are the conditions like, etc. Even if each is only off by say 1% from 'ideal' when you add it all up you can get some pretty big differences. Thats why everyone says to use dynos as a tuning tool -not for bragging rights.

Camaro Fest sub-forum