Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 12-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #155
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
IMO a 3500# LT1 Camaro makes for the ideal Z28 starting point, unless there is an LS7 replacement version LT engine with more HP. IMO 300# is AWESOME compared to 3,850# SS now. I also suspect the savings to be 300# at the minimum and as much as 400# is not out of the realm of possibilty. The only problem with the Gen6 Z28 is the wait because in all likelyhood it won't be released year one. I'm on board with the LS7 bandwagon now per my above post but I honestly will probably get a 1LE to hold me over until there is a gen6 Z.
I'm guessing much closer to 250 lbs. unless the 6Gen is quite a bit more expensive.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #156
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
Pete made a good point in the 1LE thread about the LS7, it will have no home with the C7 release. So IMO it makes sense to keep production rolling until there is an LS7 replacement in the new LT series of engines. That would be enough to take care of the 2014-2015 Z28!
Yes Pete played a big part in dare I say our 2 year discussion on a Z28. We've made many arguments as to why an LS7/Z28 makes financial and marketable sense. However I and some others are starting to get bored and lose faith.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:52 PM   #157
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I'm guessing much closer to 250 lbs. unless the 6Gen is quite a bit more expensive.
Do I really have to dig back thru old threads yet again to pull up the numbers and calculations I posted in the past along with the article about GM's new philosophy of weight savings?

All kidding aside, I know your opinion is different than mine (and that's OK), but everything weight wise we've seen on the new Alpha chassis used as a starting point and adding weight for bigger engines points to a gen6 Camaro SS around 3,550 bs compared to the 5th gen SS at 3,850 lbs, I think the gen6 Camaro will be 300 or more lbs lighter than the 5th gen, GM is applying that weight saving philosophy on almost every new model they are designing. To help meet CAFE standards they have to, instead of thinking about how many lbs they can save on one item, they are thinking grams and ounces on every area of new vehicles. The only recent release I can think of that seems to be contrary to that is the new LT1 engine which seems to be heavier than the same size LS engine.
Clyde

Last edited by wildpaws; 12-07-2012 at 08:56 PM. Reason: text correction
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #158
OldScoolCamaro

Drives: Camaro's, always have, always will.
...starting to get bored? We are at bored...., no doubt....those who read the past posts and discussions like Hobbs and make statements based on those discussions as if they had an epiphany....very bored....
Old 12-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #159
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
...starting to get bored? We are at bored...., no doubt....those who read the past posts and discussions like Hobbs and make statements based on those discussions as if they had an epiphany....very bored....

The problem is we have been talking about this car for so damn long that any conversation is basically a rehashing of 3 or 4 previous threads. They are becoming redundant. It's to the point where GM should either release a Z/28 or announce that there will not be a Z/28 so we can move on to saving for a down payment or looking elsewhere for a car.

Edit: Isn't the LT1 the base V8 engine? If so, why would we want that in a Z/28? Shouldn't it be in the base V8 Camaro? Until GM develops more LT series engines to power different models, I don't know what they will do for a Z/28. I doubt any of us want it to become the base V8 model again...
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:44 PM   #160
wildpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
The problem is we have been talking about this car for so damn long that any conversation is basically a rehashing of 3 or 4 previous threads. They are becoming redundant. It's to the point where GM should either release a Z/28 or announce that there will not be a Z/28 so we can move on to saving for a down payment or looking elsewhere for a car.

Edit: Isn't the LT1 the base V8 engine? If so, why would we want that in a Z/28? Shouldn't it be in the base V8 Camaro? Until GM develops more LT series engines to power different models, I don't know what they will do for a Z/28. I doubt any of us want it to become the base V8 model again...
Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding............We have a winner! I was wondering how long it would be before someone brought that up.
Clyde
Old 12-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #161
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
They could have another version of the LT1 in mind for the base V8. Maybe a 5.7L version.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #162
OldScoolCamaro

Yes. The Z-28 has to be unique. Something special. Looks like in the Gen 5 form it won't be made. I trust in 2015 it will be a true HP vehicle. Rehashing whats now and in the parts bins to make it will only perpetuate our frustration. I believe we need to wait and see what is coming in the future for new DI power plants and model design improvements for the next Gen Z. I believe the architecture and model improvements are over with until that times comes. There is nothing new coming until Alpha arrives.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:20 PM   #163
wildpaws

Quote:
Yes. The Z-28 has to be unique. Something special. Looks like in the Gen 5 form it won't be made. I trust in 2015 it will be a true HP vehicle. Rehashing whats now and in the parts bins to make it will only perpetuate our frustration. I believe we need to wait and see what is coming in the future for new DI power plants and model design improvements for the next Gen Z. I believe the architecture and model improvements are over with until that times comes. There is nothing new coming until Alpha arrives.
Unfortunately I think you're right! Wish it weren't so, but it sure looks that way right now.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #164
Bhobbs

Pyrolysis: It would be cool to see GM revive the 5.7 but I doubt it will happen.

Oldschool: You are probably right at this point in time. It would probably release a couple years into the 6th Gen.

Wildpaws: What do I win? Haha
Old 12-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #165
OldScoolCamaro

how about a... Z-28 in 2015 bumper sticker?
Old 12-10-2012, 09:48 PM   #166
Bhobbs

Quote:
how about a... Z-28 in 2015 bumper sticker?
Ill take it haha.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #167
OldScoolCamaro

...the ZL1 side for the most part is alot of glee and fluff, we need something to hang our hats on...and for that we wait....

Last edited by OldScoolCamaro; 12-11-2012 at 08:29 PM.
OldScoolCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #168
Bhobbs

Quote:
...the ZL1 side for the most part is alot of glee and fluff, we need something to hang our hats on...and for that we wait....
The ZL1 is definitely an impressive piece of engineering and great looking car. I was fortunate enough to check out one at dinner a couple weeks ago. The driver saw me checking it out and opened it up for me. We talked for a while about it but he didn't know of C5.

In my opinion, the Z/28 is the iconic Camaro. The revival of the Z/28 will be a big deal.