Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 11-27-2015, 03:38 PM   #1
b4wheeler

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS Vert
Sharing Tunes

What keeps a person from paying for a tune and when it arrives, sharing it with other people??????
Just curious, no intentions here. Just wondering?????
b4wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:20 PM   #2
LS7 427
10.11 @ 136.32

Drives: Black & Yellow 2SS/RS LPE LS7 427
I know with SCT a copy of your stock tune is required by the tuner and your custom tune is derived from that, so I'm sure the custom tune is also vin # matched to your specific car.

Copying and pasting tables could possibly be done assuming you had the exact same mods but even that would be somewhat risky to the health of your car.

Built, Tuned and Maintained By........
LS7 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 04:57 PM   #3
chevy 3
NEcamaro5

Drives: Black 2ss rs 1LE
Most all tunes I've delt with are locket to the vin.
chevy 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:50 PM   #4
granatl

Drives: 2SS RS ABM A6
Yes, tunes can be locked.
However, even unlocked tunes are fairly worthless in someone else's car. If the two people happen to have the identical mods, maybe it would work okay.
Old 11-27-2015, 10:01 PM   #5
jst1970
Camaro addict

Drives: 2014 SS L99 i1 procharger
Send a message via AIM to jst1970
VIN Locked by almost all tune platforms and some tuners can put an extra lock on if they want. There is always a way around, however this isnt sharing a copy of microsoft office. Very specific.

Pirating a tune is not the way to go, if you were to try you might boom your car with someone elses tune unless 100% of the mods are exact same and you live in the same area.

That is not the place to cut corners and save a buck IMHO. If there is a piracy itch inside someone, they should go download a pirated movie instead. Dont thrash a camaro on accident
Old 02-27-2016, 07:14 AM   #6
GHOSTRIDER-R

Drives: 2013 1SS, RS, Roof, Black on Black
I find this somewhat funny isn't this what those tuning company's do when they send you a quote customer tune is send you something they used on another car with similar mods?
GHOSTRIDER-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:59 AM   #7
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
I suppose if two individuals had two identically modified cards then sure, they could share. However, I think it would be hard pressed to find that (exactly). And, in reality, even those two motors could run differently because of manufacturing processes (in the assembly or parts process), conditions (altitude, fuels), and other uncertain variables.

That said more than the questions asked. Usually, the tuning software (EFI and HPT) doesn't allow one tuned to be saved and uploaded into more than that car (they charge credits for the tune). Buy more credits (for VIN's), and can do that.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:28 AM   #8
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreksnot View Post
tuning software (EFI and HPT) doesn't allow one tuned to be saved and uploaded into more than that car (they charge credits for the tune). Buy more credits (for VIN's), and can do that.

This^^^^, once your file has been changed, or in order to change it, the file needs to be licensed you can give that tune to someone else, they also need to license it to their VIN in order to upload it. Terrible idea to upload someone else's tune for the reasons mentioned above. You can really screw up your car that way. There are certain values that can be cut and pasted into your tune file/car. But MAF settings and a few other tables are specific to those certain mods.

To be honest, most of the tunes I have looked at, that are for bolt on cars anyway, are pretty similar. There are not a whole lot of differences, BUT THEY ARE DIFFERENT.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 12:30 PM   #9
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER-R View Post
I find this somewhat funny isn't this what those tuning company's do when they send you a quote customer tune is send you something they used on another car with similar mods?
No sir, each tune must be written off of the original tune file, GM has over 15 Different operating systems just for the Gen 5 V8s and 8 or so different Transmission operating systems.

I caution anyone to NEVER copy over differences from another tune unless they first verify operating systems are Identical, and year make and model are Identical.

I have fixed hundreds of corrupt tunes from this practice.

The tune can look fine in what ever software is being used but the car just doesn't run right, because of crossing operating systems.

The solution is to have the dealer Reflash the stock PCM and TCM back to stock and start over with a new read.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote