Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
Mr. Brownstone

Drives: "SINISTER"
LG g6x3 and 4:10 gear Combo...My Feedback

I have had several people PM'ing me wanting a review of the LG Motorsports g6x3 Cam coupled with Richmond 4:10 gear Combo. So I'm gonna give it a shot. I am by no means an EXPERIENCED Racer and I am pretty new in the mods arena. However, I have been making it a point to do some major research and I have been trying to learn as much as possible. Here Goes..........

I Just got "Sinister" back this weekend from Cincinnati. She is an LS-3 M6.
The Guys at CINCY SPEED have been giving her some HP Loving over the last several weeks and WOW!!!!! She is now one EVIL BITCH!!!!!!!

I had a chance to drive a buddies 2010 Camaro M6 LS-3 with the g6x3 cam several months ago. He has stock gears. I found his car to be surprisingly drivable considering the aggressiveness of the cam. Even my wife didn't mind its manners. However, in lower rpm's (below 1500) it did have some surging. Also 6th gear was a little unusable.

The 4:10's make the g6x3 a lot more driver friendly IMHO. It does still have some surging in the lower rpm range but it is not quite as noticable as it was w/o the 4:10's. I will say conservatively that the 4:10's reduced the surging by 40-50% and once again, I'm being conservative. The 4:10's also made 6th gear more usable with the g6x3.

Also please keep in mind that Cam manners and drivability also depends a lot on the tuner and I lucked out with one of the best in the business.

The torque is Un-freaking real!!!!! She pins you back in the seat and then pulls and pulls and keeps pulling!!!! This thing is now a MONSTER!!! As a matter of fact, Today I stepped on it coming out of second into third and almost lost it. She definitely demands respect!!!!!!!! I also want to mention that there is ABSOLUTELY NO NOISE or Gear Whine!!!!!

For anyone who wants to add some MAJOR Torque and Power w/o going the forced induction route, I definitely recommend this Combo.

Is it as driver friendly as stock? Hell No. However my wife (5' and 110 lbs) absolutely loves it and drives the piss out of it. As a matter of fact, I have to race her to the drivers seat most of the time.

So unless you are just really picky about stock manners, trust me Dudes.... you will be fine.

I also highly recommend that you guys check out jrhaus76 review of the 4:10 gears. He did an awesome job!!!

-------------------------------------------
"SINISTER" One Evil Bitch (Born on Halloween) SIM LS-3 M6
-2'' Stainless Works LT Headers w/ X pipe and SW aggressive 3'' exhaust
-Lg Motorsports g6x3 Cam w/ Richmond 4:10's (World's First install)
-UD Pulley w/ RotoFab Intake.
-Cincy Speed Custom Tune

Last edited by Mr. Brownstone; 02-15-2010 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Text Edit
Mr. Brownstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 07:59 PM   #2
Cacadeech

Drives: 2010 CGM SS/RS
Nice write up man. You really got me thinking hard about those gears. I was worried about the drivability....but I'm craving more torque.
Cacadeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:35 PM   #3
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brownstone View Post
I have had several people PM'ing me wanting a review of the LG Motorsports g6x3 Cam coupled with Richmond 4:10 gear Combo. So I'm gonna give it a shot. I am by no means an EXPERIENCED Racer and I am pretty new in the mods arena. However, I have been making it a point to do some major research and I have been trying to learn as much as possible. Here Goes..........

I Just got "Sinister" back this weekend from Cincinnati. She is an LS-3 M6.
The Guys at CINCY SPEED have been giving her some HP Loving over the last several weeks and WOW!!!!! She is now one EVIL BITCH!!!!!!!

I had a chance to drive a buddies 2010 Camaro M6 LS-3 with the g6x3 cam several months ago. He has stock gears. I found his car to be surprisingly drivable considering the aggressiveness of the cam. Even my wife didn't mind its manners. However, in lower rpm's (below 1500) it did have some surging. Also 6th gear was a little unusable.

The 4:10's make the g6x3 a lot more driver friendly IMHO. It does still have some surging in the lower rpm range but it is not quite as noticable as it was w/o the 4:10's. I will say conservatively that the 4:10's reduced the surging by 40-50% and once again, I'm being conservative. The 4:10's also made 6th gear more usable with the g6x3.

Also please keep in mind that Cam manners and drivability also depends a lot on the tuner and I lucked out with one of the best in the business.

The torque is Un-freaking real!!!!! She pins you back in the seat and then pulls and pulls and keeps pulling!!!! This thing is now a MONSTER!!! As a matter of fact, Today I stepped on it coming out of second into third and almost lost it. She definitely demands respect!!!!!!!!

For anyone who wants to add some MAJOR Torque and Power w/o going the forced induction route, I definitely recommend this Combo.

Is it as driver friendly as stock? No. However my wife (5' and 110 lbs) absolutely loves it and drives the piss out of it. As a matter of fact, I have to race her to the drivers seat most of the time.

So unless you are just really picky about stock manners, trust me Dudes.... you will be fine.

I also highly recommend that you guys check out jrhaus76 review of the 4:10 gears. He did an awesome job!!!

-------------------------------------------
"SINISTER" One Evil Bitch (Born on Halloween) SIM LS-3 M6
-2'' Stainless Works LT Headers w/ X pipe and SW aggressive 3'' exhaust
-Lg Motorsports g6x3 Cam w/ Richmond 4:10's (World's First install)
-UD Pulley w/ RotoFab Intake.
-Cincy Speed Custom Tune
I see what you're saying about the car and like it... but does your wife have a sister?

Cam and gears are in the future... I'm feeling it!
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
eynigush
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SSRS Rally Yellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTSquared View Post
I see what you're saying about the car and like it... but does your wife have a sister?

Cam and gears are in the future... I'm feeling it!
+1 on the sister. Sounds like you have an awesome wife, Brownstone.

--Edde
eynigush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:25 PM   #5
Badassbird
LSX Tuner at Cincy Speed

Drives: 1988 GTA Trans Am
I am glad that I could help bring a little.......or...ALOT more excitement your life Darrell. Sinister is definitely a whole new animal and yes she does demand that respect. Although I do think I have put you permanently in the passenger seat, as Nikki is definitely in love with the new improved Sinister.

Tracey Scott
Lead GM Tech and Tuner -Cincy Speed
513-821-2221
Badassbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:09 PM   #6
Sam88gta1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS / 2006 CC Duramax
A experienced tuner can fix the cam surge above 1100 rpm with that cam and stock gears. Should be able to drive like stock above 1100 rpm without a problem.
Sam88gta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:12 PM   #7
acowherd

Drives: 2010 2ss/RS 4l80. 2009 2500 HD
Great job on the review

https://www.facebook.com/pages/FNSS-...75028626000379

FNSS Racing!
acowherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:41 PM   #8
ssrsheaven

Drives: 92 firebird,2010 camaro
cant wait to see it at our rescheduled meet,when it gets rescheduled lol
ssrsheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:42 AM   #9
Badassbird
LSX Tuner at Cincy Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam88gta1 View Post
A experienced tuner can fix the cam surge above 1100 rpm with that cam and stock gears. Should be able to drive like stock above 1100 rpm without a problem.
The surge he speaks of is very slight and not very noticeable and is tuned out as well as it gets with this type of cam. I have tuned many cams much larger than this and fixed this. Not all of the surge in 10-14 deg. overlap camsand more, can be removed but 90% can be.

Tracey Scott
513-821-2221
Old 02-16-2010, 12:08 PM   #10
acowherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badassbird View Post
The surge he speaks of is very slight and not very noticeable and is tuned out as well as it gets with this type of cam. I have tuned many cams much larger than this and fixed this. Not all of the surge in 10-14 deg. overlap camsand more, can be removed but 90% can be.

So what are the clearances with this cam?

Any longevity issues with this cam?

FNSS Racing!
Old 02-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #11
Mr. Brownstone

Drives: "SINISTER"
Quote:
Originally Posted by acowherd View Post
So what are the clearances with this cam?

Any longevity issues with this cam?
I really don't see any clearance issues. Longevity....I think that would depend on whether you get a conservative tune or push the limits for a few more horses.

LG Motorsports products are top notch. Believe me......You can bet your ASS that they have researched, developed and tested the F#ck out of this cam for the LS-3 motor.

Someone correct me if Im wrong, but I believe the Corvette guys have been running this cam for a couple of years and absolutely love it.
Mr. Brownstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:37 PM   #12
Badassbird
LSX Tuner at Cincy Speed

Anthony and I have traded info on these cams to include clearances which is on the tight side. Although, we also discussed the many thousands of corvettes out there that have this cam.

Tracey Scott
513-821-2221
Old 02-16-2010, 05:50 PM   #13
acowherd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badassbird View Post
Anthony and I have traded info on these cams to include clearances which is on the tight side. Although, we also discussed the many thousands of corvettes out there that have this cam.
Is the tightens due to the lift?
How are you guys combating the tightness of the cam?
Proper cam degree? Checking clearance after install?

FNSS Racing!
Old 02-16-2010, 07:47 PM   #14
ADM PERFORMANCE

Drives: Anything I want
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brownstone View Post
I really don't see any clearance issues. Longevity....I think that would depend on whether you get a conservative tune or push the limits for a few more horses.

LG Motorsports products are top notch. Believe me......You can bet your ASS that they have researched, developed and tested the F#ck out of this cam for the LS-3 motor.

Someone correct me if Im wrong, but I believe the Corvette guys have been running this cam for a couple of years and absolutely love it.

G6 X3 is by far the best cam for LS3...PERIOD!!!!!

We have seen 550-600 bhp out of them with heads and headers.

A 2008 Ls3 corvette just dynoed at 485 rwhp on my dyno with this cam,stock heads,lg headers with no cats and borla mufflers.

Andy
ADM PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote