Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
vonrebel

Drives: 2021 2SS 1le Shock
Broken security lug nut

Last edited by vonrebel; 12-07-2013 at 10:57 PM.
vonrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Broken security lug nut

I have no answer to your question but id like to know what the point was of putting what a rim costs?

Sent from my 2SS/RS
Old 12-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
SS Blinder

Drives: 2011 SS (Sparrow Spearer???)
What exactly snapped flush? was it the stud(the threaded part that comes out thru the rotor center)? If its that, then you should still be able to take the other lug nuts off and pull the wheel.

BTW why is the dealer doing this? Do you not have the tools/know how?
Old 12-07-2013, 09:26 PM   #4
the barber

Drives: 13' Sw 2ss Ls3
Could b possible they wont damage the fin8sh on the wheel if done right I use to help out a buddy at his wheel shop and we had this socket that would go over the lug nut or what was remaining of it and had to hammer it on then impact it off worked great
the barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #5
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonrebel View Post
Today My SS is at the dealership, to swap out my stock SS wheels and tires, and replace them with a MINT set of new ZL1 take off wheels, the OEM GM 800.00-1,000.00 each, black 10 spokes wheels.

The dealership snapped off one of the security lug nuts off "FLUSH" with the zl1 wheel.

Now I have to wait until Monday for the experienced mechanics to arrive to figure out what to do, no one there today wanted to attempt the repair.

Is it possible to remove the remaining security lug nut since it's snapped of flush with the frickin wheel? With out damaging the back finish on the wheel? Anyone have suggestions or know how to correctly make the fix? Thanks

They already put 2 small nicks in the wheel, around the snapped off nut.

These security lug nuts came new at the time of purchase with my SS I still have a sticker on my window sticker for 199.00 cost for the set installed haha, the security set was not GM, I'm pretty sure the lug nuts were made by McGard I still have the package, in my car. I'll check and post back.

This is frustrating, supposed to snow here tomorrow, can't drive with Goodyear tires,
Without a picture, it's hard to say what to do. I have had good luck with drilling the stud until you can get the remainder of the lock off. Takes a bit of time and patience to do it and not totally FUBAR the wheel finish, but it can be done.
Old 12-07-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
batman53201
Account not blocked

Drives: The Batmobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonrebel View Post
There is nothing left of the lug nut to put a socket over, because the nut snapped off flush with the front of the rim/wheel. The wheel stud is sticking out as normal, you can see the threads, but the lug nut is snapped off past all the threads, flush with the front of the wheel.

well i guess nobody was going to steel those wheels
batman53201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #7
Shift_Rejected
2010 2SS RS

Drives: 2010 2SS RS (L99)
Broken security lug nut

+1

But obviously because other rims are inferior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
I have no answer to your question but id like to know what the point was of putting what a rim costs?

Sent from my 2SS/RS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Performance Mods: K&N Cold Air Intake | Pypes Cat-Back Exhaust | Aluminum Paddle Shifters | VaraRam Wedge | Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors | Hawk HPC Pads | M.M. Ported Throttle Body | Kooks 1 7/8 Headers w/ High Flow Cats | Dyno Tune @ RPM
Cosmetic Mods: Rally Stripes (style1, style2, style2.2) | Splitter | Painted Calipers | Door Projector Lights | Front-Emblem Delete | Cup Holder Lighting | Quarter Window Covers | Phantom Grille | Ghosted Side Markers | Tinted Fog Lights | ZL1 Rockers | Tail Light Bezels
Shift_Rejected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:35 PM   #8
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
the easiest and cleanest way to remove it is to have an experienced welder weld another lug to it so you can get it off.

I had something similar happed to a previous car, and the break was way down inside the lug area..

The guy that does my exhaust and has for several cars was able to weld another lug nut to it from the inside of the lug (the inner threaded area) and not damage the wheel at all, then we used a good size breaker bar to get the lug off..

be sure they don't weld it to the stud, only to the broken nut.. (hence why I say an experienced welder, not just someone that knows how to operate a rig)

hope that helps.