Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
Z71456
 
Z71456's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 152
Want to buy LT headers....Do I need a new fuel pump or ???

Hey Everyone,

I'm at the point now where I really want to pull the trigger on some LT headers, but I'm not sure what to do about fuel. I currently have a TVS 2300, CAI, and 3" catback. Last dyno pull at Stillen made 534HP/488TQ. I really want to start climbing that ladder towards 600WHP, but I'm stumped. I've been told different things from different places and I'd like to hear the opinions of those that have "been there, done that" on here. One shop told me a Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump would be fine. Another told me they are unreliable. Another shop said I should go with dual pump like the one from the ZR1 and another said I don't need anything. In addition, I'm not sure which headers either (Kooks, Dynatech, ARH, etc) for the money, but that's another story.

I'm sure this has been discussed before so I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse. I would just like to get your opinions since literally each shop is telling me something different and I don't know who to believe.

Thanks!
__________________
Magnacharger TVS2300 / Roto-Fab CAI / ACT Twin-disc clutch + flywheel / Livernois Motorsports Duel Fuel Pump / Modified stock engine cover / ARH 1-7/8 Long Tube Headers + High Flow cats / Magnaflow 3" Cat-back / Eibach Springs / Pfadt Sway Bars / Stillen slotted/drilled rotors, hard lines and Hawk pads / Barton Short-Shifter / CBD Spoiler / GM Heritage Grill / Forgestar F14 20x11/20x9 Matte Black / Nitto NT05 Tires 565WHP/570TQ
Z71456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 11:01 PM   #2
bob vogel

 
Drives: 2010 rs ss
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: calif
Posts: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71456 View Post
Hey Everyone,

I'm at the point now where I really want to pull the trigger on some LT headers, but I'm not sure what to do about fuel. I currently have a TVS 2300, CAI, and 3" catback. Last dyno pull at Stillen made 534HP/488TQ. I really want to start climbing that ladder towards 600WHP, but I'm stumped. I've been told different things from different places and I'd like to hear the opinions of those that have "been there, done that" on here. One shop told me a Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump would be fine. Another told me they are unreliable. Another shop said I should go with dual pump like the one from the ZR1 and another said I don't need anything. In addition, I'm not sure which headers either (Kooks, Dynatech, ARH, etc) for the money, but that's another story.

I'm sure this has been discussed before so I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse. I would just like to get your opinions since literally each shop is telling me something different and I don't know who to believe.

Thanks!
I have done the same work to my car and I'm in the same spot as you.I have heard the same story. I'll be anxious to hear what you all have to say. I have an L99 with 493rwhp. Stillen told me I have to have a fuel pump when I put on the lth so that's the next set for me. Good luck
bob vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
turbo222
 
Drives: 2010 Summit White Camaro 1SS
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Laguna Beach CA / Tempe AZ
Posts: 285
Subscribed!!

HEY! and by the way i think i remember you from in front of Wheel and tire connection in lake forest...i was driving the white camaro ss and i was getting your same rims!!

im about to pull the trigger on a tvs 2300 as well and im curious to know what do do in this situation as well because i have Kooks 1 7/8ths headers AND LOVE THEM!!!

do you want me to post a clip?

Evan
__________________
Engine: 402whp & 394TQ Hp-tuned, Kooks 1 7/8" catted headers, 3" Kooks Cat-back Exhaust, Roto-fab Intake (Summit white), Skip shift Eliminator.
Exterior: Blacked-out Tail lights / Reverse lights / Side Markers / F & R Bowties, Stealth turn signal bulbs, AAC Blue Dome and Footwell lights.
Wheels/Tires/Suspension: ForgedStar F14 Rims (semi gloss) 20x9.5 & 20x11, Nitto NT05's 275/40/20 & 315/35/20, Pfadt Lowering Springs.
ICE: Audison LRx 5.1k Amp, 2 Hertz Hi-Energy 250w Componet Speakers, 2 Bravox Audio CF 260w Coaxial speakers, 12" Hertz Hi-Energy 1200W Subwoofer, ******** Box and Amp Rack.
turbo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
victoryred1ss
 
victoryred1ss's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SS M6 2016 2SS A8
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Utah
Posts: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z71456 View Post
Hey Everyone,

I'm at the point now where I really want to pull the trigger on some LT headers, but I'm not sure what to do about fuel. I currently have a TVS 2300, CAI, and 3" catback. Last dyno pull at Stillen made 534HP/488TQ. I really want to start climbing that ladder towards 600WHP, but I'm stumped. I've been told different things from different places and I'd like to hear the opinions of those that have "been there, done that" on here. One shop told me a Kenne Bell Boost-a-pump would be fine. Another told me they are unreliable. Another shop said I should go with dual pump like the one from the ZR1 and another said I don't need anything. In addition, I'm not sure which headers either (Kooks, Dynatech, ARH, etc) for the money, but that's another story.

I'm sure this has been discussed before so I apologize if I'm beating a dead horse. I would just like to get your opinions since literally each shop is telling me something different and I don't know who to believe.

Thanks!
Drop down to a 3.6 pulley, add some LT headers an Msd boost a pump then retune. That is my opinion.
__________________
TVS 2300 721RWHP 686RWTQ
Built by Me
Suspension done by JDP
Tune done by JRE
victoryred1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:50 PM   #5
Ltdodge

 
Ltdodge's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Z06
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oviedo, Florida
Posts: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by victoryred1ss View Post
Drop down to a 3.6 pulley, add some LT headers an Msd boost a pump then retune. That is my opinion.
ditto...thats what i did with my setup and got the pump and tune from Ted Jannetti...
__________________
Ltdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:55 PM   #6
GTAHVIT
Blessed
 
GTAHVIT's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Saint Augustine FL
Posts: 28,511
Seems the common thought is when you get over 550 people start to help out the fuel system.

the KB boost a pump has been successfully used by Lingenfelter. and the MSD booster is pretty reliable as well.

I do know there are quite a few cars out there with no extra fuel pumps running over 6 to the wheels.

If you have the money I'd add the fuel pump booster just in case. Better that then a blown engine cus it leaned out.

FWIW.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 04:11 PM   #7
Z71456
 
Z71456's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 152
Yeah, I would definitely add more fuel, but just wasn't too keen on the idea of adding a $1000 fuel pump. MSD might be the ticket. They make great products.
__________________
Magnacharger TVS2300 / Roto-Fab CAI / ACT Twin-disc clutch + flywheel / Livernois Motorsports Duel Fuel Pump / Modified stock engine cover / ARH 1-7/8 Long Tube Headers + High Flow cats / Magnaflow 3" Cat-back / Eibach Springs / Pfadt Sway Bars / Stillen slotted/drilled rotors, hard lines and Hawk pads / Barton Short-Shifter / CBD Spoiler / GM Heritage Grill / Forgestar F14 20x11/20x9 Matte Black / Nitto NT05 Tires 565WHP/570TQ
Z71456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:08 PM   #8
audiomikej
 
audiomikej's Avatar
 
Drives: the wife crazy talking Camaros
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 276
Livernois has a drop-in dual pump for $899. I am leery of the voltage boosters as well. I don't want to get stuck on the side of the road because fuel pump booster failed or the pump failed from the voltage boost. With that said I can't guarantee the aftermarket dual pump is OEM reliable either.
audiomikej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
Detoxx03
ЯєŧąяĐ Єlímíиąŧ°я Ö
 
Detoxx03's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Corvette
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Woodward Avenue
Posts: 871
Would you rather pay 8-1K for a pump and be safe or take the risk of blowing your motor and spend 15-20K?
__________________

D1SC Procharger 932/758 on E85
A Futral Motorsports Creation
https://www.facebook.com/DetoxxAtomic
Detoxx03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:17 AM   #10
Frost
 
Frost's Avatar
 
Drives: GM anything
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tuning GM in Richmond VA
Posts: 147
RPM made 763 RWHP on an F1 procharged 2010 and the only changes to fuel system (incredibly) were a boost a pump and 63#ers!
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:16 AM   #11
Andy@Livernois

 
Andy@Livernois's Avatar
 
Drives: 1987 Buick Regal Turbo-T
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Grand Blanc, MI/Dearborn Heights, MI
Posts: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@TunedbyFrost View Post
RPM made 763 RWHP on an F1 procharged 2010 and the only changes to fuel system (incredibly) were a boost a pump and 63#ers!
but with how much pressure drop? generally speaking we recommend a BAP up to about 575rwhp on an auto, and 610rwhp on a manual trans car. anything after this we install our Dual pump with a BAP. Now in regards to the reliability of a BAP. I strongly feel this depends on how high you have it turned up (we don't go past 40%) and how well the install was done. In the 5+ years of working here I have seen 4 bad BAP, 3 of which were dead right out of the package, so I have only seen one actually fail with day to day usage. However, we purposely install the BAP in such a way that it is easily bypassed so you should never be stranded due to a failure.
Andy@Livernois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:31 PM   #12
bob vogel

 
Drives: 2010 rs ss
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: calif
Posts: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy@Livernois View Post
but with how much pressure drop? generally speaking we recommend a BAP up to about 575rwhp on an auto, and 610rwhp on a manual trans car. anything after this we install our Dual pump with a BAP. Now in regards to the reliability of a BAP. I strongly feel this depends on how high you have it turned up (we don't go past 40%) and how well the install was done. In the 5+ years of working here I have seen 4 bad BAP, 3 of which were dead right out of the package, so I have only seen one actually fail with day to day usage. However, we purposely install the BAP in such a way that it is easily bypassed so you should never be stranded due to a failure.
thanks for the info. this is a big help.
bob vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:14 PM   #13
Frost
 
Frost's Avatar
 
Drives: GM anything
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Tuning GM in Richmond VA
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy@Livernois View Post
but with how much pressure drop? generally speaking we recommend a BAP up to about 575rwhp on an auto, and 610rwhp on a manual trans car. anything after this we install our Dual pump with a BAP. Now in regards to the reliability of a BAP. I strongly feel this depends on how high you have it turned up (we don't go past 40%) and how well the install was done. In the 5+ years of working here I have seen 4 bad BAP, 3 of which were dead right out of the package, so I have only seen one actually fail with day to day usage. However, we purposely install the BAP in such a way that it is easily bypassed so you should never be stranded due to a failure.

Their threads are on a different board. They said fuel pressure was solid and they spent a lot of time looking at it carefully. We did an RHS 6-bolt 427 (2010SS) with a 2300 spun up to 15psi with twin pumps but the install time was quite high for many people.
Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Modifying for " Dummies" Dr Jkel Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission 209 06-18-2012 12:24 AM
walbro fuel pump halo8hkk Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 5 07-13-2010 11:28 PM
Camaro ls3 news...true or false? Dark Knight Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons 74 06-05-2008 06:29 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.