Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 04-08-2015, 12:43 PM   #1
SR71

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS
Any Drifters?

Does anyone out there drift their Camaro? I've gone to a few events now but still having some trouble with it. Hoping to get some advice on initiation techniques and other tips from fellow Camaro drivers.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:23 PM   #2
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
I asked a few years back. Not many. A few good videos in the thread though.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=295767

Old 04-08-2015, 10:10 PM   #3
SR71

Thanks for the video and link. Do you drift? I wish more Camaros were in the sport, we seem to be very rare. Mainly Mustangs out there sliding for the domestics.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:26 PM   #4
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ45TH View Post
Thanks for the video and link. Do you drift? I wish more Camaros were in the sport, we seem to be very rare. Mainly Mustangs out there sliding for the domestics.
Only in video games.

Would love to one day, but just a fan until then.

How about you?

Last edited by 45thAnniversary2SS; 04-09-2015 at 07:56 AM.
45thAnniversary2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 07:55 AM   #5
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ45TH View Post
There may be more Mustangs in this activity, but there sure isn't a whole lot of talk about it on the Mustang forums either. At least not the ones that I belong to.

S197Forums is the only place I know of that even has a 'Drift' section, and it only has one page of thread titles going back to the beginning of the section. If it helps any, you may be able to crib a few pointers from this thread. I don't know if you'd need to register first, sorry.

On edit, I can appreciate the beyond-the-limit control that the good drift guys exhibit, but as an old retired guy on Social Security money I'd never be able to afford the tire bill for long enough to get any good at it myself.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 04-09-2015 at 08:07 AM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:17 PM   #6
SR71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45thAnniversary2SS View Post
Only in video games.

Would love to one day, but just a fan until then.

How about you?
I'm starting to learn and it's a blast. I've dabbled in a few different auto sports and drifting is by far the most fun for me. Although I'm having some trouble initiating the slide. Clutch-kicking just end with me facing the wrong way before I know what hit me. Power over I'm having trouble with due to the grip of the car. I started using the ebrake towards the end of my last event and had some luck but holding the button down in our cars is a pain. I'll be looking into a spin turn handbrake button for the next event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
There may be more Mustangs in this activity, but there sure isn't a whole lot of talk about it on the Mustang forums either. At least not the ones that I belong to.

S197Forums is the only place I know of that even has a 'Drift' section, and it only has one page of thread titles going back to the beginning of the section. If it helps any, you may be able to crib a few pointers from this thread. I don't know if you'd need to register first, sorry.

On edit, I can appreciate the beyond-the-limit control that the good drift guys exhibit, but as an old retired guy on Social Security money I'd never be able to afford the tire bill for long enough to get any good at it myself.

Norm
That's interesting, I assumed the Mustang forum would have that topic. It's too bad the domestic market hasn't embraced this sport yet. The last event I went to had a few, I was the only Camaro but there was a GTO, Hellcat Challenger, 4-5 Mustangs and even a brand new paper tag Z06 Stingray. Several of us were obviously learning with the GTO and Mustangs doing killer. There is nothing like the sound and power of a v8 drifting, heck the imports swap LS's into their cars all day for it.

I can appreciate the tire cost. I'm trying to find a set of 18's (17's even if they exist) that I can run to cut down on that cost as I improve.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:41 AM   #7
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
where do you go to do this!!!!!?
Old 04-20-2015, 05:03 PM   #8
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodside783 View Post
Not sure how far WV is from ya but its about 2 hours from Dc... its called Summit Point Motorsports Park. They have drifting there. Look up drift nirvana on fb.

Also check local road course tracks to you.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 10:14 AM   #9
SR71

Quote:
There are monthly events at the tracks by me that do drift events. Check out this site to find a track by you.

http://driftspots.com/
Old 04-22-2015, 10:43 AM   #10
woodside783
Casey Woodside

what is needed to pass tech?
Old 04-23-2015, 12:49 AM   #11
SR71

Depends on the track, mostly just battery is secure, Snell rated helmet and no loose items or floor mats here.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:53 AM   #12
SR71

Also, if anyone is interested I created a cheap solution for using our ebrake to drift and not have to hold down the button. I'll be trying it next event, and can create a short write up if there is interest. Here is a pic of the completed mod.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:29 AM   #13
woodside783
Casey Woodside

the only one down here that i know of you have to have a cage in. would like to try it and not have to worry about the cops
Old 05-01-2015, 04:21 PM   #14
SR71

Quote:
the only one down here that i know of you have to have a cage in. would like to try it and not have to worry about the cops
Wow a full cage to drift? That's crazy! Here you only need a cage if you're running a convertible.

I also wish that I knew of some wide open parking lot way out where no cops were. I'd get a lot more practice in that way vs just waiting for track days. But my car is loud enough I know even if I found it and had friends watching to make sure it was safe, the cops would be there in no time. There is a drift school in Nevada where you can take your own car, I'm planning on going there in the fall.