Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #99
Rikki Tikki Tavi

Drives: Camaro ZL1, Chevy Tahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
Wrong, a 3rd or 4th gen Z28 is paying for the badging. They lessened the weight a little bit, added the LS7, the seats, and the brakes along with changing the fascias. They shouldve stripped a bit more in my opinion. Also those tires are hella expensive too. Its a pure track car that will be VERY competitive. I dont think GM needed to add those brake components to make it as competitve as it is. They couldve gone a cheaper route with it to be between the 1LE and ZL-1 but they wanted to make this car basically a race car that you "could" drive on the street. They wont charge 80. It'll prbably be 60k. I cant see paying as much as you can for say a vette which would be much lighter.
True. I guess my point is the car may be "street legal", but not street friendly. I just cant see myself picking up a woman for a date in a car with one speaker, no spare tire or jack, etc then say I paid 60 Gs on it.
Rikki Tikki Tavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:59 PM   #100
orthojoe

Drives: Subaru BRZ, Porsche Boxster Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki Tikki Tavi View Post
True. I guess my point is the car may be "street legal", but not street friendly. I just cant see myself picking up a woman for a date in a car with one speaker, no spare tire or jack, etc then say I paid 60 Gs on it.
That's because that's not what the car was made for.
orthojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:05 PM   #101
ALLTRBO

Drives: V8 up front and 7-spd out back FTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Please review rebuttals in red. If you removed all the "marginal weight" statements, the total would be less than 10 pounds, which most drivers could probably find at the gym. Most of the "do not add weight" features have to do with the dash assembly, driver information center, or other integral parts of the car.

A few points did not get red text. I didn't respond to those because I can see removing those.

As for most of the other complaints, we're just feeding the troll by arguing.
Whoa whoa whoa, easy now. I think you totally misunderstood. I wasn't trying to say that it needed anything else removed, or that any of that weighed much of anything, or that it would gain a single thing by having any of it removed. It wasn't at all about weight or "too many things" or "not enough things". I thought my post was clear, but I guess I need to explain more clearly because there seem to be a few people who totally missed my point in one way or another...

A lot of people here (not all people here) are saying and have the idea that the Z/28 is a "stripped down race car with almost no creature comforts that just so happens to be street legal" and "you can't really use it for anything but track days" and things to that effect. I'm not going to quote anyone specifically, but there is a lot of that type of stuff in the many threads (large and small) about this car. I was saying that the Z/28 has a lot of comfort and convenience features... a whole lot of them... and if you step back and look at it from a completely fresh point of view, you might see that. For a car that really is designed for the track (by engineers and designers who put a lot of time and R&D into it - which costs a lot of money) with the best of the best performance parts (which cost a whole lot of money on their own), this thing is very useful and has a ton of extras! (no, not literally a ton). And that's a good thing!

For the record, I've been a regular poster on many car forums at various times for the last 14 years straight, and I've never once been called a troll... because I make it a point not to troll. I notice that that word gets thrown around a lot here and most of the time it isn't at all used appropriately. I may have a different viewpoint than someone (or someones), but that does not mean I'm trolling by expressing it.

Hopefully that clears up any misconceptions that there may or may not have been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
I see a lot of sour grapes in here.....
I believe the word for that these days is "passion". (No seriously, us lot do have a fair amount of it! No one I work with gives two flips about anything related... cars are nothing more than a necessary evil to get to work and back. I love the passion here!)
Old 04-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #102
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
And she certainly wouldn't be impressed if the car experienced "expensive breaks". Especially if it left you both on the side of the road...

Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #103
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
That's gotta be one of the worst reasons not to buy the Z/28 I have heard yet.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #104
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
10-4 conquistador!

Women dont get what muscle cars are. If he's trying to impress, he needs to get a vette cause obviously he's going through a mid-life crisis.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #105

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Whats to be blown away about it? This is exactly my point. The new z/28 isnt an engineering marvel aside from its breaking system. Chevy is gonna charge 60-70 probably even 80 grand on a concept thats been around for 50 years. All youd be doing is paying for some expensive breaks and z/28 badges.
I sort of remember hearing somewhat the same arguments and mis-understanding when the ZL1s came out..."That much more for just a blower?...Who needs all that tire, wheel, suspension stuff?...I'll just add a super-charger to my SS and save 15K!...Those are way too expensive for what you actually get...Who can afford that?..."

...Don't hear any of that now...Same will be true with the Z/28. However it's priced it will be well worth it, just like the ZL1 is...More to the Z/28 than just brakes....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:18 PM   #106
Rikki Tikki Tavi

Quote:
lol really? You obviously arent comprehending my point. The car is not suitable for daily driving. No AC? One speaker? No spare tire? Lol Id be embarrassed to tell anybody I spent that much on a car and got so little.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:21 PM   #107
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
lol really? You obviously arent comprehending my point. The car is not suitable for daily driving. No AC? One speaker? No spare tire? Lol Id be embarrassed to tell anybody I spent that much on a car and got so little.
Dude! the SS doesnt come with a spare tire! Come on! This is not a daily driver! Youre wanting a car to impress women with. THis is NOT the car to do that in. This is a MAN's car! Period!

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #108
Zfatuated

Drives: BAC Mono
Quote:
Some people don't have the imagination to take their girl for a date at the track eh?

Cool guy: "Hey Baby! Want to go a date to a track day? Ride in a "race car" on a race track? Hooked on Driving is having an event at Thunderhill next week, let's go!"

Cool girl: "Ohhh! Yes! That sounds great! No guy has ever asked me to do that before! Sounds like so much fun I am going to wear my tightest jeans and no panties!"

DUH, Winning!
Zfatuated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:27 PM   #109
Rikki Tikki Tavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I sort of remember hearing somewhat the same arguments and mis-understanding when the ZL1s came out..."That much more for just a blower?...Who needs all that tire, wheel, suspension stuff?...I'll just add a super-charger to my SS and save 15K!...Those are way too expensive for what you actually get...Who can afford that?..."

...Don't hear any of that now...Same will be true with the Z/28. However it's priced it will be well worth it, just like the ZL1 is...More to the Z/28 than just brakes....
The Zl1 isnt an SS with a supercharger. While its true you may be able to make an SS faster for cheaper, What about the beefed up rear end? The MRC? Not to mention the engine isnt simply an LS3 with a supercharger.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:30 PM   #110
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
No I do. It seems you are the one that doesn't get the point of the Z/28. It's not for people who car more about the number of speakers their car has or how many ways their seat adjusts. It's for people who want to drive around a race track as fast as possible while driving the car home. It's for people who want to say their Camaro can run with cars costing twice as much money.

The car isn't for you but I would kill to get one.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:31 PM   #111

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
The Zl1 isnt an SS with a supercharger. While its true you may be able to make an SS faster for cheaper, What about the beefed up rear end? The MRC? Not to mention the engine isnt simply an LS3 with a supercharger.
...Exactly my point...same arguments, such as "all it has is more expensive brakes.." don't apply to the Z/28, either...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #112
Rikki Tikki Tavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
Dude! the SS doesnt come with a spare tire! Come on! This is not a daily driver! Youre wanting a car to impress women with. THis is NOT the car to do that in. This is a MAN's car! Period!
I wouldn't tell my male friends I spent that much on a stripped down Camaro. And I wholeheartedly agree this car is not meant to be a daily driver. So why tout it as such?

My point is why so much for so little?