Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 02-05-2013, 11:15 AM   #99
ATX211
Custom User Title

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Screw Nannie Systems!!

I ripped mine out and replaced it with a new system that reacts when the car starts to exit control. Flames shoot out the tail pipes, fireworks out of the mail slot, and a Neon middle finger pops up off the deck lid all while blaring "Here I go Again" from external speakers!!

(In reality I turned it off once to check out Competition Mode and haven't since. No track days yet)
ATX211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #100
Jim968

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
Good point... and illustrative of the fact that most people who think they know how to drive don't, because almost everybody does that. And since most people don't really know how to drive, its best they leave their systems on.
This is an excellent point. Most people think they are good drivers, but we all know that most people are NOT good drivers.

Before you go turning off the nannies due to your perceived superior skills perhaps you should ask yourself how it is that you have these superior skills. Do you have any training beyond the minimum that it took to acquire your license? Ever done a car control clinic, HPDE, or an autocross? Do you have extensive experience driving without nannies in low traction environments like snow or off road? Ever even read a book on high performance driving?

If the answer is no to all of these questions I hate to tell you, but you’re not as good as you think you are. Unless you’re turning your nannies off in an active effort to safely acquire car control skills, then you’d be much better off to leave them on.

Also, FWIW, I have more experience and demonstrated skill than most and perhaps all on this thread, and I only bother turning off the nannies in my car when I intend to slide it around, and have found a safe place to do so.

Last edited by Jim968; 02-05-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #101
Chito
SoCal HT5

Drives: 2010 Camaro black 2ss/rs
I read the entire thread and I still don't get any useful information about nannies so I hope I get some help and I have a question for the experts.I have an auto ss I got mine tune and when I drive it under normal driving, nothing off I feel the car not as fast. I got the car tune and when I drive with manual using the paddles, I feel the car a lot faster, I contacted the tuner and he said that if I take out the nannies the car will run better ( not exactly know what that means "better") but I do feel the car performs better when its in the M mode, but I haven't really try it with the nannies off, so can anyone give me your opinions.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:05 PM   #102
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Norm, Have you ever tried Traction Control?
Yes.

Enough to have verified for myself that leaving it on is nowhere near a guarantee that you can't spin the tires when the going is slick. And enough to have found out that when the slickness is due to snow and slush, it's hardly any better than my own carbon-based traction control system is all by itself. Almost like "why even bother having it?".

I don't have to hammer on my car very hard at all to know that I'd be tripping its TC from time to time if I left it on. All it takes is a little enthusiasm starting up from a traffic light when I'm turning onto the cross street. This does not have to involve a very sharp or short radius turn, nor do I have to be into the throttle all that much. Once in a while I can hear the difference, typically when a tire crosses a paint stripe. But I can always feel when a drive tire starts to come unstuck, spin a little, and make the rear run just a tad looser. Even in my FWD cars I can feel the spin get started and the extra push that results in that case. I have done a bit of autocrossing over the years . . . and somewhere between a little and a lot of everything else on Jim's list.

Maybe the smartest thing I do each winter is give myself a little "snow driving refresher course" in the parking lot of the neighborhood pool that's just around the corner from my house. After 8 or 9 months not driving in those conditions, I'm not "current" either.

If you have some idea what to listen for in terms of exhaust note (or simply notice something different about it), it is possible in at least some cases to identify that a car has its TC on without being in the car or even close up to it. When TC cuts engine power it can generate a distinctive exhaust sound.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 02-05-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #103
Micawber

Drives: '92 Chev K1500 + 2011 VR 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHIOSS View Post
I've seen several posts about turning off the stabilitrac and traction control with normal driving. What is the point? With these on does it limit the output of the engine? If not than what is the point of turning them off for normal street driving? My stabilitrac has kicked in more than once when I've been driving in the rain so I think it's a good thing.

Russ
Even the OP mentions that he's noticed his stabilitrac kicking in. I'm driving through the winter, occasionally on snow and ice or just wet pavement, and if I leave the computer assist systems on I notice it too. I do believe the car computer is faster than I am and with individual wheel control I'm sure that there are situations possible where it could save me. I'm also sure that a full roll cage and a 5 point harness could potentially save me where the lap and shoulder belt might not.

I believe the chance of any of those things making the critical difference for me is so tiny that it's not worth the number of times where I do feel the computer banging my brakes or cutting my power. For myself at least, any time I'm concerned about being able to control the car I simply slow down.
Micawber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #104
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Help me understand how the car keeping itself from sliding around on snow and ice is a bad thing.
Iron Lung Jimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #105
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
The more nannies introduced has the same effect as kids using computers in school. People lose the ability to do things on their own. With kids using computers they lose basic math skills, with driving nannies they lose or never acquire basic driving skills. Such as how to recover from a skid. How to keep your brakes from locking. How fast is safe to take a curve. Take someone that has relied on nannies too long and put them into a car without them or if they were to fail, and they will be an accident waiting to happen.
Old 02-05-2013, 04:31 PM   #106
erik13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS
I never thought I'd see a bunch of grown men arguing about a button in a car.
erik13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #107

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
The more nannies introduced has the same effect as kids using computers in school. People lose the ability to do things on their own. With kids using computers they lose basic math skills, with driving nannies they lose or never acquire basic driving skills. Such as how to recover from a skid. How to keep your brakes from locking. How fast is safe to take a curve. Take someone that has relied on nannies too long and put them into a car without them or if they were to fail, and they will be an accident waiting to happen.
Hmmm, interesting...Might as well disable power steering, power brakes, automatic transmissions, back up sensors and cameras, automatic door locks, door-ajar warnings, etc., and really teach them how to drive!...lol
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:35 PM   #108
Micawber

Drives: '92 Chev K1500 + 2011 VR 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Lung Jimmy View Post
Help me understand how the car keeping itself from sliding around on snow and ice is a bad thing.
I think it's a bad thing to have the brakes applied unnecessarily and having the power fade unexpectedly is annoying too. The "nannies" can't prevent the car from sliding. If someone drives inappropriatly they can still get into trouble.
Micawber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #109
MMC

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
I dont mind the nannies at all, what scares me is eventually you won't be able to turn them off. This will happen as most people wont care.

An autonomous car, also known as a robotic car or informally as a driverless or self-driving car, is an autonomous vehicle capable of fulfilling the human transportation capabilities of a traditional car. As an autonomous vehicle, it is capable of sensing its environment and navigating without human input.[1] A human may choose a destination, but is not required to perform any mechanical operation of the vehicle.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:24 PM   #110
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Hmmm, interesting...Might as well disable power steering, power brakes, automatic transmissions, back up sensors and cameras, automatic door locks, door-ajar warnings, etc., and really teach them how to drive!...lol
Not quite the same....
Old 02-05-2013, 09:22 PM   #111
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Amazing -- simply amazing.

I read these threads and I wonder.................

So - for all of you who think you're really great behind the wheel:

(...and I don't mean to belittle you, but I take great exception with your encouraging people to turn the traction control and stabilitrak off when they get behind the wheel......you are doing NO ONE a great service other than perhaps your ego...)

.....I have been to many of our 'tracks' that we sponsor. I've seen many "great drivers" - some of them famous race car drivers -- get behind the wheel of a Corvette or Camaro-- and make horrendous mistakes. THEY even admit that one of the best things we've ever done is to develop Stabilitrak. I distinctly remember one particular driver - very well known -- take a Camaro SS off the course sideways at an incredible speed - and I was certain that he'd roll the car. He DID deflate two tires........ (and we may have had to replace a seat cover.....)

But then - what do THEY know? Or our engineers, for that matter?

Did anyone miss the fact that race car drivers - some of the best in the world - have accidents?

Let me make something clear: as great as you think you are? You are not. Period. So stop telling people that it's OK to turn the "nannies" off. (stupid word- "nanny"...by the way....)

- I learned many years ago that you can lead a horse (or certain parts of the horse... ) ...to water, but you cannot make him drink it.

So -- for those of you who are 'great drivers' -- I hope I don't one day read of an accident involving your *incredible* driving skills. And I hope your "incredible" driving skills don't hurt or kill innocent people..............

You may not like what I'm saying - but again I will repeat: Your words encourage others to turn that switch to the 'off' setting - and I hold you responsible if something tragic happens. And I take great exception to your 'exceptionalism'.....so how 'bout just not posting and telling people it's OK? We won't miss your wisdom.

to the rest of you -- I apologize for taking such liberty with words -- but most of you have heard me say time and time again that I want each you around for a long time. And I really get upset when 'experts' encourage bad behaviour or worse. If my words stop ONE PERSON from doing something stupid - then I guess it's worth me upsetting a few people.

My apologies.

Last edited by fbodfather; 02-05-2013 at 09:40 PM.
fbodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #112

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
Amazing -- simply amazing.

I read these threads and I wonder.................

So - for all of you who think you're really great behind the wheel:

(...and I don't mean to belittle you, but I take great exception with your encouraging people to turn the traction control and stabilitrak off when they get behind the wheel......you are doing NO ONE a great service other than perhaps your ego...)

.....I have been to many of our 'tracks' that we sponsor. I've seen many "great drivers" - some of them famous race car drivers -- get behind the wheel of a Corvette or Camaro-- and make horrendous mistakes. THEY even admit that one of the best things we've ever done is to develop Stabilitrak.

But then - what do THEY know? Or our engineers, for that matter?

Did anyone miss the fact that race car drivers - some of the best in the world - have accidents?

BUT - I learned many years ago that you can lead a horse (or certain parts of the horse... ) ...to water, but you cannot make him drink it.

So -- for those of you who are 'great drivers' -- I hope I don't one day read of an accident involving your *incredible* driving skills.

You may not like what I'm saying - but again I will repeat: Your words encourage others to turn that switch to the 'off' setting - and I hold you responsible if something tragic happens. And I take great exception to your 'exceptionalism'.....

to the rest of you -- I apologize for taking such liberty with words -- but most of you have heard me say time and time again that I want each you around for a long time. And I really get upset when 'experts' encourage bad behaviour or worse. If my words stop ONE PERSON from doing something stupid - then I guess it's worth me upsetting a few people.

My apologies.
No need to apologize for anything....Everyone should take responsibility for how they drive...regardless of who says what...If they are going to do something unsafe because of what they see on these forums, they shouldn't be driving anyway....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote