Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 09-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Thumbs up This is the way that I will like my next Camaro 1LE

Presently I'm the owner of an '11 5.0 GT Brembo Mustang, that I bough after looking at MT comparative of this car with the BMW M3 (very similar performance for half the cost). Now I'm amazed after I read on how the Camaro 1LE beat the BOSS Laguna at the track. I think that the 1LE will be a great replacement for my car, and specially since I will like to track it. This is the way that I will like my next 1LE: -Silver Ice metallic (the black hood looks OK with this color choice). or -Rally yellow. This color, if I had the chance to include the black stripes of the Transformers edition or the Black Rally Stripes (remove the black hood decal), and to include the great looking High wing spoiler. What I like from the 2SS: is the head up display, four gauge auxiliary cluster and the USB. But I will need to think this one twice, since it will be a shame to replace those leather seats for sport seats. The Dual mode performance exhausts, looks like a great option. From the RS package, the only thing that is worth it, is the LED halo headlights. (GM web page looks strange, if I chose this package it remove the 1LE black wheels). I don't know if the Black or Body color ground effects, could be included with the 1LE package, It allow me to chose them together, but they don't show any change in the GM web page. The my link w/. navigation will be a good choice. On my present Mustang GT, I did some aftermarket changes, that where not allowed in my order: The Brembo, could not be combined with the CS rear pedestal spoiler. Later on I add them to my car, , I really liked the "C" stripes similar to the BOSS, so I also add them to my car. I made those changes, and my car looks great. That is why, I'm thinking of the possibility to do those changes to a 1LE yellow camaro.
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #2
J-ROD-210

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS RJT A6
Good luck on the car. If I had the funds,I would get a Mustang and Challenger as well because I love muscle cars. Camaro's my favorite, so I had to start with one first and foremost. Post a pic of your Mustang.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
68vert

Drives: 2010 SIM SS/RS, 1968 RS convertible
GM's build it page does have the RS option seeming to over ride the 1LE option when it comes to the wheels. Ignore it. If you get the 1LE you will get the black ZL1 rims.

The only ground effect that is available come directly with the 1LE package which is the front splitter. You can always have your dealer add the ZL1 side skirts, which I think a lot of people will do.

Have fun and welcome.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:26 AM   #4
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Can't add the ground effects with the dual mode exhaust, they don't match up. Don't think you can have ground effects on your build sheet with just 1LE either but a dealer could add them for you as long as you don't have dual mode exhaust.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:12 AM   #5
Bosse'sBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-ROD-210 View Post
Good luck on the car. If I had the funds,I would get a Mustang and Challenger as well because I love muscle cars. Camaro's my favorite, so I had to start with one first and foremost. Post a pic of your Mustang.
Here I share you my '11 5.0 Mustang GT Brembo pictures.
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #6
Bosse'sBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vert View Post
GM's build it page does have the RS option seeming to over ride the 1LE option when it comes to the wheels. Ignore it. If you get the 1LE you will get the black ZL1 rims.

The only ground effect that is available come directly with the 1LE package which is the front splitter. You can always have your dealer add the ZL1 side skirts, which I think a lot of people will do.

Have fun and welcome.
Yes I think, that the ZL1 side skirts, will look great!
Old 09-11-2012, 07:15 AM   #7
Bosse'sBoss

Then I prefer the dual mode exhaust
Old 09-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #8
Bosse'sBoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68vert View Post

Have fun and welcome.
Hi 68vert,
Do you know if the ZL1 side skirts have the same height of the 1LE front splitter? What I really like about the 1LE, is that is track ready, at a great price.
On my GT Brembo I had to install KONI shocks and STEEDA springs to reduce the up and down going of the oem suspension, that made a great improvement on handling and looks.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #9
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Add the ZL1 side skirts. They look better anyway.

Look Justice Pete over in the suspension section and see what he would recommend to make the 1LE even better. My guess is you should look at least look at adding some Pedders cradle bushing inserts to firm up the rear even more. Although, for the most part the 1LE should be ready to go right off the bat.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:17 AM   #10
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosse'sBoss View Post
What I like from the 2SS: is the head up display
If you're going to track this car, make sure that you can turn the HUD off.

For your own sake as well as for those around you at occasionally triple-digit speeds you do not need this distraction. If it's there and on, you will spend time looking at it that should be spent glancing at important gauges (oil, temp) and concentrating on traffic around you and on what you need to be doing next. Personally, I don't want that kind of insistent distraction at any time, but I'm much more about function and going light on the non-performance/convenience features and gadgets anyway.

There is a CG Lock device and some sort of drop-in padding with bigger bolsters (forget the name) to keep you better located in your seat and reduce your tendency to use the steering wheel as a grab handle first and for vehicle control second. There may be other solutions acceptable to the track day organizers that would not require seat replacement.

I hear you about the Konis, and have heard where Ford maybe didn't get the flat-ride part of their suspension tuning quite right on some of the versions built after my '08 (this is mostly what your springs fixed). I doubt the 1LE will suffer from the same ride quality issues.

There are more things to work with on the Camaro given its IRS, and you'll see a few new supplier names. It's my opinion generally to leave the car stock long enough to get your own ideas about what it is about your car's behavior that you need or want changed, and that you can't know these things until you pay attention while driving it for a while. If nothing else, you'll be better able to discuss your planned mods and more likely to be satisfied by what you do choose to do.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #11
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post

For your own sake as well as for those around you at occasionally triple-digit speeds you do not need this distraction. If it's there and on, you will spend time looking at it that should be spent glancing at important gauges (oil, temp) and concentrating on traffic around you and on what you need to be doing next. Personally, I don't want that kind of insistent distraction at any time, but I'm much more about function and going light on the non-performance/convenience features and gadgets anyway.

There is a CG Lock device and some sort of drop-in padding with bigger bolsters (forget the name) to keep you better located in your seat and reduce your tendency to use the steering wheel as a grab handle first and for vehicle control second. There may be other solutions acceptable to the track day organizers that would not require seat replacement.

Norm
I agree with you on CG-lock, but I don't get your point with the HUD. The whole idea behind HUD is to reduce distraction, not increase, and I can always check my speed on HUD driving at the track with my Corvette, while the real gauges are too far down below for me to look especially in corners and braking zones.
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:06 PM   #12
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
+1, Just because HUD is there doesn't mean you have to look at it the entire time. It just makes it safer to glance at the HUD compared to refocussing between the guages and the track.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #13
Bosse'sBoss

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post

I hear you about the Konis, and have heard where Ford maybe didn't get the flat-ride part of their suspension tuning quite right on some of the versions built after my '08 (this is mostly what your springs fixed). I doubt the 1LE will suffer from the same ride quality issues.

There are more things to work with on the Camaro given its IRS, and you'll see a few new supplier names. It's my opinion generally to leave the car stock long enough to get your own ideas about what it is about your car's behavior that you need or want changed, and that you can't know these things until you pay attention while driving it for a while. If nothing else, you'll be better able to discuss your planned mods and more likely to be satisfied by what you do choose to do.

Norm
CG lock might be a good alternative. I don't agree about your comments on the HUD of the Camaro or Corvette. I think is a great technology achievement. You don't need to look away from your windshield while you are driving, that is a + toward safety. If you have a Radar Detector, you will not stare at it, while you are driving. Pilots of Jet fighters planes have the same technology, and they don't crash because they are looking at their HUD. I never thought that I was going to buy myself a Mustang (Coming from a prior Porsche 911), but I did it after what I noticed, when FORD went to the extreme to improve their rear axle suspension on '11 and later years models (like what was mentioned on the BMW M3 VS '11 Mustang GT Brembo. Article that appeared on MT). And the BOSS Laguna was great, until the 1LE appeared. But we need to be real, IRS is the present and the future, all exotics have IRS not rigid axle, fix axle is something from the past, and you will remind it every time that you find a bump in a corner while riding a Mustang. Camaro 1LE and ZL1 are great cars, and we have to admit it. They are not just straight racers (1/4 mile). Probably the only thing to improve in the Camaro is the weight, because they already found a solution to their SS understeer issue. The Shelby GT500 is a great car, but apparently the FORD Engineers forgot about the brakes, on a 200 MPH sport car. Imagine a great balanced car like the Camaro ZL1 with more power and less weight. All this continuous battle between FORD and Chevrolet will bring a benefit for us, that we are the final customers. Apparently DODGE only haves a great super car the VIPER ACR (that is better than many exotics, just look at the '10 lap times on Nurburgring).

Last edited by Bosse'sBoss; 09-11-2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #14
GaBoy25

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6/2500HD Lmm LTZ
Could just tape over the HUD

2500HD (with a couple parts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyotekiller View Post
I wonder if this could be why my car idles like its retarded...
GaBoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote