Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 02-18-2014, 01:08 PM   #57
jksynergy

Drives: 11 SW SYNERGY SERIES/14 1SS 1LE
Arrond, you'll end up in STU as you have the cold air intake. That's the first bump. Headers and a tune won't change much, but for some reason the CAI does the class change.

2014 1SS 1LE. Bama, sporting Red Rock Metallic demon's horns, when we are ready to get naughty and open a can of whoopass! Airaid, Spectre, Xpel,Bowler shifter Peddars, UMI, Ult Perf. Diode Dynamics, JRE Tune, XS Power battery,
Hooker Headers Blackheart exhaust,Powerbrake
InstaGram & Twitter: @jlouie62
FB: hangtimeracing
jksynergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:12 PM   #58
NJ Drive
Account Suspended

Drives: '14 1SS 1LE white
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksynergy View Post
Arrond, you'll end up in STU as you have the cold air intake. That's the first bump. Headers and a tune won't change much, but for some reason the CAI does the class change.
Headers and/or tune also bumps you to STU. Only part of the exhaust you're allowed to modify is the catback. No more dump pipes either in Street/Stock.

As far as air filters go in Street/Stock, you can only replace or delete the stock filter media while retaining the OEM ingestion point(meaning no leaky intake tracts).
NJ Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:36 PM   #59
shifterracer

Drives: 2015 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Drive View Post
I don't know how the hell you drive with 58 keys on your keyring.
Just a tip- entry is just as important as exit and you were driving really tight(point and shoot). Maintain smooth archs and nail down your entry with proper speed maintenance.
Yea it's amazing I don't even hear them in the car...to busy concentrating! LOL But it sure does sound like I have a couple pair of tennis shoes in the dryer when I go through the slalom!

Yea I would agree, I wasn't very smooth at all and I'm usually not :( I don't mind the tip at all either! It's nice to have someone else look at my driving...I'm always looking to improve even thou I pulled off the win.
shifterracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:51 PM   #60
NJ Drive
Account Suspended

Hey Tim,

Supercharger, gears and/or differential sends you to SM.
Chassis braces depending on how/where they're attached, could send you to Prepared.
That goes for suspension too if you're not using factory attachment points.
Old 02-18-2014, 10:40 PM   #61
Dr. Evil

Drives: 2013 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda7050 View Post
The SCCA and local autocross forums seem to think the M3 and Mustangs will dominate the FS class. They don't give the 1LE any credit due to the weight. I hope the 1LE surprises a few people.
Until now those were the hot cars due mostly to available tires. There's not been as many options for us to run 20" tires that are competitive. With the move to a 200 treadwear tire next year and the ability to go down in diameter 1" to a 19" wheel you'll see more Camaros being competitive. The ability to get that much rubber under the car will help a ton. It doesn't hurt that we can get a lot of travel on our alignment settings either.

A year and a half ago when I bought my 2013 I went back and forth between a 1SS 1LE or a 2SS non 1LE. Since I knew it wouldn't be competitive (at the time) I opted for the 2SS. I love the car and am going to look into the rule book a bit more. Since you could order the 1LE wheels as an option I 'may' be able to use those but am not sure yet.

Either way I'm thinking that a 1LE with a set of 19" CCWs, an aggressive alignment and Hancook RS3s will be very hard to beat.
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:19 AM   #62
Cuda7050

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Either way I'm thinking that a 1LE with a set of 19" CCWs, an aggressive alignment and Hancook RS3s will be very hard to beat.[/QUOTE]

Yea I agree. I just wish my 2012 1SS didn't have to compete in the same FS class as the 1LE. I am at a huge disadvantage. I am doing it for fun so I guess it really doesn't matter, but winning is so much more fun than loosing.
Buttonwillow 2:23.736
Sacramento Raceway 12.89 at 112 mph
Thunderhill 2:22.242
Cuda7050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:57 AM   #63
Arrond

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jksynergy View Post

Thanks for the information
Arrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:41 PM   #64
jksynergy

Drives: 11 SW SYNERGY SERIES/14 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRD_WRK View Post
NJ drive
please advise on my Class in SCCA. I feel a little uncertain of the skills of those making the decisions at some of the events I raced at. It doesn't help that I compete with them. Ive made more changes sincelast event.
I read thru a 800+ rule manual. I dont think they follow some of it closely.

Camaro SS V8 auto stock internals, stock body appearance.

aftermarket:
cold air intake
supercharger
gear/differential
Suspension
axles
wheels
200 DOT street tread tires
Chassis brace.

Thanks.

Hi there JKSYNERGY. Good to see you run the twisties-its a blast.

Tim
Hey there Yep, keeping the Synergy Series and have a 1LE on order. Going to have a blast this year.

2014 1SS 1LE. Bama, sporting Red Rock Metallic demon's horns, when we are ready to get naughty and open a can of whoopass! Airaid, Spectre, Xpel,Bowler shifter Peddars, UMI, Ult Perf. Diode Dynamics, JRE Tune, XS Power battery,
Hooker Headers Blackheart exhaust,Powerbrake
InstaGram & Twitter: @jlouie62
FB: hangtimeracing
jksynergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #65
SVThis

Drives: 2013 1LE 1SS Victory Red 1 of 76
For those worried about extensive modifications done to their cars and what class you get thrown into, you may want to consider running the Classic American Muscle class. There are no rules essentially other than street tires. http://www.solomatters.com/introduci...can-muscle-cam. Looks like fun unless Danny Popp shows up at your event.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:02 PM   #66
NJ Drive
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVThis View Post
For those worried about extensive modifications done to their cars and what class you get thrown into, you may want to consider running the Classic American Muscle class. There are no rules essentially other than street tires. http://www.solomatters.com/introduci...can-muscle-cam. Looks like fun unless Danny Popp shows up at your event.
I actually forgot all about CAM for this year. It was introduced for guys just like HRD WRK.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:11 PM   #67
NJ Drive
Account Suspended

If that brace uses factory attachment points, which it looks like it does, you'd be in SM.

Keep in mind that Street Modified allows the use of R-comp tires which stomp all over street tires. If you're going to run 200 TW street tires, CAM is the perfect fit for you!

Most Hankook RS3s were re-released with a 200TW last year.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:14 AM   #68
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
I've been looking into the possibility of running 20x10.5 all around with either 295/35-20 or 305/35-20 all 4 corners with a small spacer 1/4" in the rear you can rotate them.

I know you said that wasn't your concern but it will make it easier to get the car to handle the way you want. Its worth a consideration. If it's track only the 305's are the hot ticket. For a DD set up the 295's would be able to be done w/o having to camber so much that the tires wear to hell in less than 5k.

If that set up interests you I've been talking to Steve @ Forgeline.

Tire wise the Michelin PSS are the ones I've been looking at but the Rivals look good too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Last edited by Firefighter; 02-20-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:16 AM   #69
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Oh also the low speed tracks are hell with these cars. I got showed up by some CRX's and I'm pretty pissed about it. Those little cars just squirt around the track.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2014, 09:26 AM   #70
SVThis

Drives: 2013 1LE 1SS Victory Red 1 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRD_WRK View Post
OK- thanks.

So I suppose I'm opening a can of worms, but here goes, since there seems to be some different players here:

I plan on having a dedicated AutoX wheel setup. I have been researching this everyday for 5 weeks now.

The car is driven to the events, all local, within 45 miles. I could trailer if neccesary to the out of town events, but didnt plan on it for now.
I do plan on running one Good Guys AUtox Sunday event every year, via trailer (2.5hrs out).
Almost all of the events run on a very small track area, seemingly setup for numble cars, low speed, never exceeding 2nd gear.
I do not plan on running the setup in rain or standing water (I detail way too much already).

For numerous reasons(not the highest performance I know-I understand rotating mass), I have decided my wheel choice will be lightweight:
Ft 20x10
Bk 20x11

My stock wheels (20x8/20x9) are going to be re-wrapped in Michelon Pilot SS, for they are about shot
I thought that I had to stay above 200 tread for my Class, perhaps that was for when I ran Stock.
I can always just run the stock wheels and new MPSS for the GoodGuys event, due to the 200 min limit.

My current plan is to run BFG Gforce Rival for AutoX. They have a good design and are at 200 vs MPSS 300+.
They would be:
Ft 20x285/35
Bk 20x315/35

I don't care about 'square' for wear/rotation and I dont feel square is necessary for manueverability (I can use the suspension I paid for to tune that), for this isnt road racing. I want as much tread on the ground to get grip from the high torque SC, from the frequent low speed recovery.

If there are better tires out there that would allow me more grip and remain in the SM Class, I'd certainly be interested.

I'd like to break the tire suggestions down though in ones DOT street legal so I can drive to the events or local car shows, vs having to trailer the car (no-I'm not stuffing them inside and changing at the track).

Thanks in advance for your meaningful input.
Tim

DOT STREET LEGAL:

NOT STREET LEGAL:
The Hankook R-S3 are now 200 treadwear rated FYI. I would still run a square set up no matter how much power you have. If you can't hook up then you need to modulate the throttle better. Cornering sometimes trumps horsepower. Plus you mention your tracks are fairly tight. DOT street vs race? Depends on what class you decide. R compound for sure in SM or anything else but street or CAM.

Last edited by SVThis; 02-20-2014 at 09:45 AM.
SVThis is offline   Reply With Quote