Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-02-2010, 11:04 AM   #29
Hoddi
Camaro Girl ~

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I'm sorry, but my first reaction to this.....

In all seriousness though.....
I ordered mine last April. Took delivery in July.
At that time you could not test drive so I rented an SS in June.
On the way to pick it up I was second guessing myself.
Do I really need an SS???
Once I got on the freeway in that rental I laughed to myself and
said oh I need this!

But hey, the V6 does have a lot of HP.
Hoddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #30
PonyMan

Drives: 2009 C6 4lt Vert, 2011 Camaro Vert
If the car was my "daily driver", 2LT/RS all the way!!
Old 02-02-2010, 11:09 AM   #31
rad

Drives: Ordered 1/22/10: SW 2LT/RS Manual
You probably had a thick steak for dinner, too, last night.
rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:10 AM   #32
rad

I guess I'm asking the wrong audience but thanks anyway. I appreciate your responses.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #33
CatiaJockey

Drives: 2010 2LT RS
Let me flip this around just a bit.... I bought the 2LT never having driven any of them. Since then I've driven a 2SS and I would not trade my 2LT for it. I love the 2LT. Money was not part of my decision process, I bought what fit my needs and the 2LT exceeds all my wildest dreams.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:12 AM   #34
Amn_Bly

Drives: IBM 2LT A6
Send a message via Skype™ to Amn_Bly
I originally wanted a 2LT, but the SS /the power came into question. Then it hit me I AM A COLLEGE STUDENT, 300 horses and 30 MPG's is the way to go. So price/ gas price is my big reason for my camaro, besides it will be my Daily drive.
Amn_Bly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #35
RedJewelrsss32

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Red Jewel Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad View Post
I know it's a "weird" question to you if you never considered a 2LT but I'm asking the folks who seriously considered it and then caved. Do you regret it at all?
No regrets,I have driven the V6 and was impressed though. Just wanted a true hot rod not a daily commuter
Old 02-02-2010, 11:14 AM   #36
rad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatiaJockey View Post
Money was not part of my decision process, I bought what fit my needs and the 2LT exceeds all my wildest dreams.
there's not enough of these discussions here.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:32 AM   #37
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad View Post
there's not enough of these discussions here.
rad, I think it comes down to more than just showmanship with the 2SS. I think more members on C5 aren't willing to admit, or even considered what owning a 2SS meant other than a deeper/louder exhaust note and muscle car bragging rights. To be honest, if that was your intention all along for the SS, that is pretty shallow. Looks like a huge ego fight going on here without any constructive advice as to WHY rad would need an SS. Why would ANYBODY really need an SS unless it is a life changing experience, which it isn't. Let's be honest with ourselves.

I think what members need to be asking you, rad, is WHY are you on the fence about the V8 and V6, and what are you expecting from your Camaro? As a daily driver, you had better plan to shell out big bucks for gas. Depending on travel distance,frequency and how hard you drive the SS, you could easily shell out the better part of $100.00 a week.

I make no apologies for my decision to get a 2SS. This decision was made ultimately before 2000 when I could actually afford a Camaro but couldn't afford a V8. In this part in my life, I can afford to have a 2SS strictly as a weekend vehicle. My logic is that I wanted to purchase the best available, take care of the vehicle for possible posterity, have fun modding it over the years and still have a killer looking car on the road for many, many years to come. It is an early mid-life crisis vehicle, as it is project I look forward to working on gradually. These guys want to blow out the engine and waste thousands of dollars on tires at the track in a single day, that is their prerogative. I personally find it wasteful and they probably have bottomless wallets to support their hobbies in this regard. It just isn't for me.

If you have the income to support gas consumption, the facts that you cannot get a full-sized or even a spare tire for an SS, paying for over-rated, expensive Pirelli P-Zeros roughly every 10K miles (many members here got less out of them and they cannot be rotated), expensive Brembo brakes, and anything else exclusive to the SS model, I think you are going to be in well over your head. If my car needed any of those accessories, I could afford to wait until I had the money because my Cobalt SS/SC is my daily driver.

I think you need to decide what category your Camaro will be in: Practicality or Sheer Performance. Keep in mind what each category brings as performance is going to cost you much more to upkeep than practicality. The rest is up to you. Good luck and this decision shouldn't be nearly as complicated as it sounds.
DkknightX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:36 AM   #38
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
and you traded it in for a Scion?

to each his own I guess, but that may be a little hard to follow for a lot of folks on this board
/sigh, yes. Financial reasons that are not in my control unfortunately. I could have kept the Camaro, but I would have JUST been scraping by with bills and payments and everything. So if something unexpected came up, I would have been SOL. Instead of waiting for that to happen I took the initiative and got something less expensive, and I now have a comfortable amount of 'wiggle room' with my budget.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #39
DkknightX
Account Suspended

Drives: 2006 Chevrolet Cobalt SS/SC Stage 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokinarrow View Post
/sigh, yes. Financial reasons that are not in my control unfortunately. I could have kept the Camaro, but I would have JUST been scraping by with bills and payments and everything. So if something unexpected came up, I would have been SOL. Instead of waiting for that to happen I took the initiative and got something less expensive, and I now have a comfortable amount of 'wiggle room' with my budget.

Smart man.
DkknightX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:42 AM   #40
rad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DkknightX View Post
My logic is that I wanted to purchase the best available
Thanks for your detailed response, DK. I want to purchase the "best" too but for me that means a little bit of everything. I want the best of all worlds and the 2LT has a lot going for it. I don't mind the costs of maintenance as much as the extra gas as I deem it excessive and wasteful, knowing I can could conserve with the 2LT.

That said, I love that the 2SS has the vette engine.

Maybe I should just cancel my order until I'm damn sure what I want.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #41
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Is this is serious question, LOL
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #42
Brokinarrow

Drives: 2012 Honda NC700x
Quote:
Originally Posted by DkknightX View Post

Smart man.