Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-26-2008, 11:50 PM   #1
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
The Proliferation of Super Sport

A lot of discussion has taken place in this forum regarding the history of Chevrolet's legendary Super Sport trim. There is overwhelming support for the Camaro and certain other vehicles to have the SS moniker, but not everyone is behind Chevrolet's perceived expansion of its signature trim.

Why does it matter? For some of you, it means that the SS moniker has lost its meaning. As Camaro enthusiasts, we have a special calling with the Z28, and we tend to support that trim over any other. It's easy to forget about the importance of the SS to the Camaro because it becomes bland when more than one SS is brought onto the stage. At one time, the SS represented V8 muscle. For many, that meaning has faded with time, but I want to remind everyone why the SS is still important to the Chevrolet strategy, even if GM hasn't hired me to say so.

Super Sports are superior to the competition. That is the general idea. The biggest competition in performance in the American market used to be muscle cars. When powerful V8s dominated the market, only cars like the Chevelle would get such a label. With the invasion of imports featuring lower power ratings but higher efficiency, American V8s suddenly lost their competitive edge. They were so far below the classic V8 in power that many of these imports only competed with one another in the performance department. While they competed with different features, import brands would not represent equal counterparts on the track.

Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Subaru, and Toyota all introduced their respective super trims. They battled in the 4-cylinder department, and those legendary American brands didn't seem to matter anymore. Their overwhelming power didn't seem to matter in comparison, and that power dropped over time. Eventually, American brands developed 4-cylinder cars that sought to compete with the foreign brands. As a result, Chevrolet needed to reinvent itself for a new generation of competition. If they introduce new monikers, the classic ones grow old and outdated. By reinventing the SS as representing top-tier performance in every division, Chevrolet can leave a mark on every track, whether that track tends to host big V8s or low-displacement 4-bangers.

Chevrolet wants the SS to mean something, so those of you that think the SS moniker has gone too far need to take a close look at the numbers. When Chevrolet produces vehicles that bear the SS label, they dominate their class. Cars like the Cobalt SS and HHR SS, even if they seem average, prove their metal on the track and beat so many cars in and out of their class that it is hard to make exceptions. They all deserve the name, so why should Chevrolet take the Super Sport out of any of their cars?
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:01 AM   #2
storm79

Drives: 2007 GMC Sierra
good point...well spoken...props
Old 08-27-2008, 12:10 AM   #3
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
You know what you just started right?

Lets see if I can make a prediction.

SS>Z28

No way Z28>SS

dumb A$$ SS>Z28

you're so full of @#$% Z28>SS

Mod: Ok play nice you bunch of !@#$!@#$!#$%@#$%

Ok ok but the SS is still > Z28

LOL Ahh I kill myself...
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:25 AM   #4
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

Drives: 99 S10 ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
You know what you just started right?

Lets see if I can make a prediction.

SS>Z28

No way Z28>SS

dumb A$$ SS>Z28

you're so full of @#$% Z28>SS

Mod: Ok play nice you bunch of !@#$!@#$!#$%@#$%

Ok ok but the SS is still > Z28

LOL Ahh I kill myself...
Z/28 > SS .... don kill yerself SS Camaro is still > gt, srt, vtec, wrx.......etc

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
getting ready for my Camaro
02 Z28 - - - sold :( miss it!
chadrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:31 AM   #5
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Going fast in a straight line was really the only thing that mattered in America in the muscle car age, and the only engines that made decent power were V8s.. Now that performance interests have become more varied and engines of any size can boast very good power, the SS badge has to adapt. I think the Cobalt SS is worthy of the name. I haven't heard too much about the HHR SS, so I'll reserve judgement on that. The Camaro SS? You bet. Ford is rumored to be developing a 300+ hp ecoboost powered Fusion with AWD. If GM followed suit on the Malibu, that would be SS worthy. The last Malibu SS was very not worthy. I'm on the fence with the Trailblazer SS. On one hand, I've driven it on a closed course and let me tell you, an SUV should not be able to do the things it did. Then again, it is still an SUV no matter how you cut it.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 12:40 AM   #6
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

Drives: 99 S10 ZR2
I have always liked SSs ( not all of them ) but I have always loved Z/28s... ALL of them, some more than others. esp;
2002 are all great

hm the new RS may be faster than all of them, hmm... except the 02.

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
getting ready for my Camaro
02 Z28 - - - sold :( miss it!

Last edited by chadrcr; 08-27-2008 at 12:41 AM. Reason: liked
chadrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 01:15 AM   #7
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Going fast in a straight line was really the only thing that mattered in America in the muscle car age, and the only engines that made decent power were V8s.. Now that performance interests have become more varied and engines of any size can boast very good power, the SS badge has to adapt. I think the Cobalt SS is worthy of the name. I haven't heard too much about the HHR SS, so I'll reserve judgement on that. The Camaro SS? You bet. Ford is rumored to be developing a 300+ hp ecoboost powered Fusion with AWD. If GM followed suit on the Malibu, that would be SS worthy. The last Malibu SS was very not worthy. I'm on the fence with the Trailblazer SS. On one hand, I've driven it on a closed course and let me tell you, an SUV should not be able to do the things it did. Then again, it is still an SUV no matter how you cut it.
An SUV that dominates in its class! If there were a sport SUV class. I love that thing. All the function of a midsize truck, with an LS2! Now if they would just bring back the Silverado SS.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:08 AM   #8
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Seriously,

I do agree that the SS is well established within Chevy's line up.

But in this case there is the GT500 out there. I do hope GM will counter, whether it is a Z28 or not is up for grabs. It seems that in the case of the modern muscle car GM is still holding out on what may be the class leader. To bring back the Camaro and not step up to the challenge in all levels would be disappointing, at least, to me.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:27 AM   #9
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
A lot of discussion has taken place in this forum regarding the history of Chevrolet's legendary Super Sport trim. There is overwhelming support for the Camaro and certain other vehicles to have the SS moniker, but not everyone is behind Chevrolet's perceived expansion of its signature trim.

Why does it matter? For some of you, it means that the SS moniker has lost its meaning. As Camaro enthusiasts, we have a special calling with the Z28, and we tend to support that trim over any other. It's easy to forget about the importance of the SS to the Camaro because it becomes bland when more than one SS is brought onto the stage. At one time, the SS represented V8 muscle. For many, that meaning has faded with time, but I want to remind everyone why the SS is still important to the Chevrolet strategy, even if GM hasn't hired me to say so.

Super Sports are superior to the competition. That is the general idea. The biggest competition in performance in the American market used to be muscle cars. When powerful V8s dominated the market, only cars like the Chevelle would get such a label. With the invasion of imports featuring lower power ratings but higher efficiency, American V8s suddenly lost their competitive edge. They were so far below the classic V8 in power that many of these imports only competed with one another in the performance department. While they competed with different features, import brands would not represent equal counterparts on the track.

Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Subaru, and Toyota all introduced their respective super trims. They battled in the 4-cylinder department, and those legendary American brands didn't seem to matter anymore. Their overwhelming power didn't seem to matter in comparison, and that power dropped over time. Eventually, American brands developed 4-cylinder cars that sought to compete with the foreign brands. As a result, Chevrolet needed to reinvent itself for a new generation of competition. If they introduce new monikers, the classic ones grow old and outdated. By reinventing the SS as representing top-tier performance in every division, Chevrolet can leave a mark on every track, whether that track tends to host big V8s or low-displacement 4-bangers.

Chevrolet wants the SS to mean something, so those of you that think the SS moniker has gone too far need to take a close look at the numbers. When Chevrolet produces vehicles that bear the SS label, they dominate their class. Cars like the Cobalt SS and HHR SS, even if they seem average, prove their metal on the track and beat so many cars in and out of their class that it is hard to make exceptions. They all deserve the name, so why should Chevrolet take the Super Sport out of any of their cars?
The first car to wear the SS lable was the 61 Impala. There have been several models of Chevy to have the SS badge.. Impala, Nova, Chevelle. even back then you could get a 6 Cyl SS. yes there were some. the SS package was at one time a sporty dress up package that most of the time was combined with perfomance goodies... but not always the case. Todays SS's are usually the top performers for that model...and that class of vehicle.

so to use the SS on the top performing Camaro is appropriate....

the Z28 on the other hand was the best road race Camaro. that in my opinion is how it should be now. If they come out with a Z28 then it should harken back to the origional.. the 67. Small high reving engine with big HP, a 302V8 with 290 rated HP (actuall hp has been rumored to be closer to 325) best handleing cars of it's time...
Those wanting a 500 HP Camaro Z28 do not realize that that is not the Z28's heritage.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:49 AM   #10
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
The first car to wear the SS lable was the 61 Impala. There have been several models of Chevy to have the SS badge.. Impala, Nova, Chevelle. even back then you could get a 6 Cyl SS. yes there were some. the SS package was at one time a sporty dress up package that most of the time was combined with perfomance goodies... but not always the case. Todays SS's are usually the top performers for that model...and that class of vehicle.

the Z28 on the other hand was the best road race Camaro. that in my opinion is how it should be now. If they come out with a Z28 then it should harken back to the origional.. the 67. Small high reving engine with big HP, a 302V8 with 290 rated HP (actuall hp has been rumored to be closer to 325) best handleing cars of it's time...
Those wanting a 500 HP Camaro Z28 do not realize that that is not the Z28's heritage.

good post...

tho keep in mind, you dont need a big motor to make 500 hp any more.... esp with FI. from the looks of things, i might lease a v-6 RS and wait till 2012 for a possible 45th ann Z28.

keyword... possible....not guaranteed
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:56 AM   #11
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:

By those you mean all of us? That's a pretty wide reaching statement. Before you lump all of us in that group you may want to read posts from Radz, Box's SilverTurtle, Supermans, mine and many others. Because quite a few of us understand what the original Z28 was. Remember when we heard about the blown mule we didn't know the SS would be the entry V8. So when the SS was announced we guessed, if the blown motor survived, it would be the Z28... Not to much of a stretch is it?
Old 08-27-2008, 09:31 AM   #12
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
By those you mean all of us? That's a pretty wide reaching statement. Before you lump all of us in that group you may want to read posts from Radz, Box's SilverTurtle, Supermans, mine and many others. Because quite a few of us understand what the original Z28 was. Remember when we heard about the blown mule we didn't know the SS would be the entry V8. So when the SS was announced we guessed, if the blown motor survived, it would be the Z28... Not to much of a stretch is it?
NOT ALL want the Z28 to be what you want it to be, and if Chevy wants this to be a heritage car they need to stick with the design purpose of the first Z28...that is all I am saying and it is MY opinion. I know what you want, but who is to say they cannot bump up the SS to the Supercharged engine at the same time they bring out the Z28 Road King???
Old 08-27-2008, 09:54 AM   #13
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
NOT ALL want the Z28 to be what you want it to be, and if Chevy wants this to be a heritage car they need to stick with the design purpose of the first Z28...that is all I am saying and it is MY opinion. I know what you want, but who is to say they cannot bump up the SS to the Supercharged engine at the same time they bring out the Z28 Road King???
I understand this topic is scattered about in different places. So I'll leave it at this.

I want Chevy to bring back the Z28 more than I want the Z28 to be my Z28 I've said it many times, and as recently as this morning, I will buy whatever is the most powerful Camaro produced. I want a beast of a car. MY personal opinion is I want CTSV like power. But I don't want a Caddy. But, more importantly I want GM to do what is best for GM and the Camaro.

You know, in part, what I want. Because I've also said repeatedly that I would be very happy with the scenario you propose. "...who is to say they cannot bump up the SS to the Supercharged engine at the same time they bring out the Z28 Road King???"

My frustration is centered on one thing. Not knowing. That's it.

I've now lost count.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:11 AM   #14
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I think this is a great thread. Honestly, I've thought that SS was way overused, however, you bring up excellent points, IMHO. Like you've already said (if I'm not mistaken) is it comes down to getting people to identify SS with performance to bring more people in to buy these cars; and why not?! I had a bigger problem where there wasn't a big differentiation between SS and lower models, but, I think, GM is doing a great job of changing that and making these cars truly represent what SS used to mean. I think they have to be careful now because of the gas prices and enviornmental concerns, however, I think they can do well with this name.

I wonder if GM really had another performance in mind when they settled on the current SS car. What I mean is, did they think they would have either a more advanced engine available down the line or plan to use a variant on the LS9/LSA, and tag that with another name from the past? Was the SS to remain the top-dog car? I think, from what information I've obtained, that this is going to be a great all-around car; perhaps more a GT car (minus GT500 power) than a track-type car. Regardless of that thought, I believe that you bring up a great point and it's important that we try to keep that perspective regarding this badge.

Quote:
Seriously,

I do agree that the SS is well established within Chevy's line up.

But in this case there is the GT500 out there. I do hope GM will counter, whether it is a Z28 or not is up for grabs. It seems that in the case of the modern muscle car GM is still holding out on what may be the class leader. To bring back the Camaro and not step up to the challenge in all levels would be disappointing, at least, to me.
True. I wonder more now that perhaps there isn't going to be a GT500 as we see it now. Maybe the next GT will be the BOSS motored engine and not make as much power. I know that I've heard, and read here, that another 6-liter is in the works for the SRT-cars, and I remember seeing that engine making like 500 horse, so perhaps this will be enough for GM to justify a SRT-fighter if the GT doesn't come back like it's current form.

Quote:

Quote:
I understand this topic is scattered about in different places. So I'll leave it at this.

I want Chevy to bring back the Z28 more than I want the Z28 to be my Z28 I've said it many times, and as recently as this morning, I will buy whatever is the most powerful Camaro produced. I want a beast of a car. MY personal opinion is I want CTSV like power. But I don't want a Caddy. But, more importantly I want GM to do what is best for GM and the Camaro.

You know, in part, what I want. Because I've also said repeatedly that I would be very happy with the scenario you propose. "...who is to say they cannot bump up the SS to the Supercharged engine at the same time they bring out the Z28 Road King???"

My frustration is centered on one thing. Not knowing. That's it.

I've now lost count.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is online now   Reply With Quote